Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not sure if it has to do with the current climate, but I have noticed this also. We have a regional PG World Series this week and it is scheduled to be Tuesday through Sunday, one game a day Tuesday through Thursday. Feels like it is just going to drag on. Last year in the similar event with more teams, we played 2 on Friday, 1 Saturday, and then bracket round started on Sunday with Monday being the championship. 

Can't believe you drive 2.5 hours for a game and then home. If it is more than 1.5 hours for me I'm staying the night. I haven't really adjusted my thinking though to the ridiculous one game a day mindset. 

Haven't done it often yet, but the we are doing it this week. For example game is in about an hour. Staying in NJ until same tomorrow is a PITA. Also allows son to get his lifting in, etc. Probably close to a 2 hour drive.

We did PBR NYS games in a day, 4 hour drive there and back to face 10 batters. Was worth it, and probably should have stayed but didn't mind the drive.

Attending PBR Future Games next week in western PA as a PO. Will likely stay the night.

My son is driving 3 1/2 hours each way to coach in a one game per day tournament in Atlanta this week.  Not worth staying and he gets to do his workouts and stuff.  I'm riding with him 1 day (which means I will end up driving) and having someone else ride another day. We normally did less than 2 hours we drove back and forth when we were doing it.

The "one game a day" is nothing new.  Son played in the WWBA tournaments in East Cobb, GA in 2011, 2012, and 2013 and they were almost all one game a day.  Maybe once in the week you would have two games.  

We stayed the week.  Lucky for those that can drive each day.

I had to edit:  we HATED playing (watching) two games in a day in the Georgia humidity.  Humidity is nothing new from where we are from....but that is a LOT of outside heat!

Last edited by keewart
@keewart posted:

The "one game a day" is nothing new.  Son played in the WWBA tournaments in East Cobb, GA in 2011, 2012, and 2013 and they were almost all one game a day.  Maybe once in the week you would have two games.  

We stayed the week.  Lucky for those that can drive each day.

I had to edit:  we HATED playing (watching) two games in a day in the Georgia humidity.  Humidity is nothing new from where we are from....but that is a LOT of outside heat!

Understood, but you go into those knowing that. My 2020 played in the the 17U and 16U WWBA in GA last year, down there almost 2 weeks with a single game a day.

What I'm talking about is the local/semi-local tournaments that you usually played 2 games a day, are now 1 a day, and during the week.

Son is coaching a 14U team in Atlanta this week and driving back and forth every day for at least three days.  3 1/2 hour drive but has no choice since he can't rent a hotel room.  Playing at East Cobb and they are playing 14, 16, and 18 all there.  One game a day for first four days and then second round bracket through championship on Saturday.  They get your money at the gate for four days. 

Friends with a PG director here in Atlanta. Has nothing to do with hotels/gate/extra money coming in. They're trying to make sure as many teams are able to play since many have had their season's cut short.. That, and along with restrictions from local facilities putting a damper on how many game slots they can run, and the limited field inventory they already have. At this point in the season, a lot of the usual fields that have been letting them play are asking for breaks, so that eliminates more.

Sucks, but I guess we have to do what we have to do to play. I'm ready for a vacation already.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.