Skip to main content

Has anybody seen this much at the HS level? My son (2023) just started doing one knee setups last fall but won’t do it with runners on. I was listening to Tanner Swanson on a pod the other day and he was talking about teaching blocking and throwing out of the one knee. I’ve seen some clips of MLB guys doing it well. I’ve also seen clips of balls they should have easily blocked go right by them. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Assume you’re talking about Cressey’s podcast? Was a good episode. 

We talked about it after listening to it. Son’s opinion is twofold:

1) There are few striballs at his level that can only be saved by a perfect setup. Majority of the time, if he’s gonna get the call, he’ll get it no matter the stance. Pitchers just aren’t that good, Catchers just aren’t that good, and umps just aren’t that good. 

2) The few times he does it are EXTREMELY situational. 3 run lead, 2 outs,, slow runner on 1st, 0-2, and (most importantly) a pitcher who is commanding that day? Why not? Tie game, UA All-American on 2nd, and new arm just came out of the pen? Not a chance. 

All things you probably know, and a long way to say....it depends, but it’s rare in his case (and for his teammates). 

Last edited by Senna

It was the Mound Visit pod, but pretty much the same content as the Cressey pod from a while back. My son loves the setup, but just doesn’t feel as athletic for situations where he’ll need to move.  

Side note, the Cressey pod is great. I like the mix of guys with personal stories and the technical guys for mechanics and training. His new FL facility is absolutely amazing. 

Had a few discussions with college coach son on this a few weeks back.  As referenced in the podcast, this is a hot topic and gaining some steam in pockets at the higher levels.  Son is bought into the advantages as spelled out by Tanner.  That said, it doesn't play at levels where catcher arm isn't particularly strong, so some college, most HS and down would not likely be able to execute effectively.  It will be interesting to see how far it spreads and how far down it ultimately reaches.

As it pertains to blocking (particularly with lateral misses), it also helps when the field conditions are optimal and consistent as they typically are at the professional and P5 college levels.

I don't know if anyone got a chance to read my long winded post earlier, but I did everyone a favor and deleted it after my son got home and told me it sounded pretty but it was b.s. He said he would never use one knee with runners on period, and as a rule we do not use always or never. It  had everything to do with the possibility missing the block. He did say there was a place for it, just not in a situation with runners on.

I think a one knee stance will limit lateral mobility at least one direction.

It depends on your pitchers command I think. Blocking might be a bit overlooked but I listened a podcast with a Dodgers catching coordinator and he said it is basically like this: if you block it nobody will give you credit but if you let it pass you will be blamed.

Sure the focus is more on framing  but balls to the backstop are losing games quickly. The focus on framing is due to catchers skill in blocking and pitchers command in mlb but one thing is sure: 

No matter how good you frame, hit or throw if you have balls going to the backstop regularly you are not catching long because nothing creates are many runs as passed balls (just watch little league games were like half of the runs are created via balls to the backstop).

Yes framing is the big thing and if you are confident you keep the ball in front of you then go for it but nobody will thank you for the strikes stolen with your framing when you had 3 passed balls and 4 runs scored with them, especially since there is no pitch fx in amateur ball.

Those catching videos today are all talking about framing but most amateur coaches are happy to have a catcher who is decent with the bat and who keeps the ball in front of him because if you pick up the ball behind you after it bounces from the backstop that means trouble.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try to frame but overall you get just less credit for your framing at the amateur level but blocking plays a larger role because pitchers have less command and catchers are also worse at blocking.

I'm not really a catching guy but I know that passed balls are losing games and coaches will have very little patience when they happen.

Now an occasional PB is ok but you have to get that not giving up runs on passed balls is your first priority.

So my son worked with his coach for the first time in a while. This guy used to be a D2 head coach and also worked as an instructor at one of the better catcher academies. He’s very progressive and always learning and experimenting. Today he said he wanted to try throwing out if the one knee setup. I cringed. After a few drills they went live.... he was actually faster out of one knee than traditional.

@2022NYC posted:

My kid did not like throwing hand side blocks from one knee. He felt his lateral movement was late.

That's what I'm worried about right now. It worked fine on turf in a cage, but I'd like to see it with a pitcher in a bullpen. I was really surprised by the range though. His coach was really focusing on anticipating a ball there from an RHP and loading up a little on the left leg to be able to drive/slide on the left shin. He teaches a similar concept in the traditional stance with runners on too, especially on a curve.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.