Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My favorite:  "Someone has to tell these high school kids and be straight with them. You better land on campus ready to steal people’s souls. If not, you better find a coaching staff with low track record of transfers these last 1-2 years. Find track record of patience and development".  --   @RealMattyBo

If that isn't telling it like it is, then I don't know what is.

I casually know a kid who was a Gatorade POY and PG top fifty prospect. We met when he was used to recruit my son to the academy he was connected.

He went off to a top ranked program. He started slow, hit .120 in thirty something at bats and transferred. He felt the pressure of being a freshman competing against an entire roster of potential pro prospects. The next summer I asked him what happened. He said you have to stay on top of things mentally and emotionally.

He knew he could play. He ended up being all ACC at his second school. He was drafted in the top twenty rounds. What happened at the first school was he started poorly, started feeling sorry for himself and got homesick. Once he was within Acela distance of home he was fine knowing he or his parents could hop on a train anytime.

This is interesting as I think my 2021 may now have some regrets over what he did with his summer.  In our area, most high school players go straight from spring HS ball into playing Legion ball in the summer with the very same team and coach (just different uniforms).  While 8U-14U travel ball has long since taken hold of youth baseball in our area, travel ball at the high school level is newer/limited and still ramping up.  The HS coaches here HATE it and are fighting tooth and nail to keep Legion ball alive albeit on life support.  At any rate, I strongly encouraged my son to play either HS travel ball this summer or see if he could get onto a collegiate summer league roster.  No chance.  As his HS swan song, he wanted to play summer ball with friends, get days/nights at the lake, etc.  He didn't get lazy at all.  Was still playing/practicing/lifting almost 7 days a week.  But when he got to his Juco campus this fall, it was clear that A) the sophomores played collegiate summer ball and were primed to go day 1 and B) at least some freshmen came in more ready than my son did.  I'll have to ask him - comes home this weekend! - but my guess is that he now wishes he would have taken a different approach to his senior summer.  It sucks.  I can absolutely appreciate any HS senior wanting to enjoy his last summer before college.  They certainly deserve to.  But those who sacrifice more of their personal preferences are better poised to steal souls the moment they step foot on campus. #growingpains

@DanJ posted:

This is interesting as I think my 2021 may now have some regrets over what he did with his summer.  In our area, most high school players go straight from spring HS ball into playing Legion ball in the summer with the very same team and coach (just different uniforms).  While 8U-14U travel ball has long since taken hold of youth baseball in our area, travel ball at the high school level is newer/limited and still ramping up.  The HS coaches here HATE it and are fighting tooth and nail to keep Legion ball alive albeit on life support.  At any rate, I strongly encouraged my son to play either HS travel ball this summer or see if he could get onto a collegiate summer league roster.  No chance.  As his HS swan song, he wanted to play summer ball with friends, get days/nights at the lake, etc.  He didn't get lazy at all.  Was still playing/practicing/lifting almost 7 days a week.  But when he got to his Juco campus this fall, it was clear that A) the sophomores played collegiate summer ball and were primed to go day 1 and B) at least some freshmen came in more ready than my son did.  I'll have to ask him - comes home this weekend! - but my guess is that he now wishes he would have taken a different approach to his senior summer.  It sucks.  I can absolutely appreciate any HS senior wanting to enjoy his last summer before college.  They certainly deserve to.  But those who sacrifice more of their personal preferences are better poised to steal souls the moment they step foot on campus. #growingpains

My son did the same after graduating  HS.   Note, he played travel ball since 13u, so when he graduated, he played 1 yr of legion with Bordentown (NJ).  Had a loaded team, was expected to compete with perennial favorite Brooklawn. They were expected to get out of districts, one the first game (son pitched 8 1/3 no-hit baseball).  Yeah, he started just focusing on the mound vs two way player (bad decision).

Anyway, it was the best decision because after the 4 year grind of travel and HS baseball, a breather was required.

So I would say, most players struggle with the transition, college is a different animal, so each individual has to work at a pace that is comfortable to them.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.