Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Dear Marcus Baseball Family,
I need to clear the air a bit with everybody out there. Apparently, there are lots of stories, rumors and innuendo floating about out there about me. I'd like to address this with all of you.
I have decided to pursue other baseball interests after the conclusion of the season. I have informed Mr. Shafferman, Coach Erwin, and Coach Mayes that I will be resigning as head baseball coach at Marcus High School. I will coach the team throughout the playoffs, however long that may be. After that I will teach my two government classes until the end of the school year.
I can truly say that I have enjoyed coaching every single young man that has been a part of this program for the last two years.
Art Senato
Head Baseball Coach/Social Studies
Friday night light, in the Fall, might just be the problem.

Never ending battle. Back in the day, athletes basically played one sport for 3 months, with baseball, lingering into the Summer.

Nowadays, most individaul and team sports, compete and off season condition/train 9-12 months a year. The days of the 3-4 sport star, are almost non existant. But, this could be another thread in it's own right Big Grin

As in the past, FD will have continued success, wherever the road will take him.
quote:
Originally posted by Old School79:
Friday night light, in the Fall, might just be the problem.

Never ending battle. Back in the day, athletes basically played one sport for 3 months, with baseball, lingering into the Summer.

Nowadays, most individaul and team sports, compete and off season condition/train 9-12 months a year. The days of the 3-4 sport star, are almost non existant. But, this could be another thread in it's own right Big Grin

As in the past, FD will have continued success, wherever the road will take him.

Old School79...you are right on with your post...Friday night lights in the fall is the reason that the last two coaches have left. If you do some research on the head football coach/athletic coordinator at MHS you will find that soon after his arrival that head coaches and programs of other sports suffer. At MHS alone, 2 baseball coaches and the boys basketball coach has left.(both programs were winning when the coach left) Only time will tell when the current basketball coach will leave (even after he made it to state in basketball this year) Lets take a look at the baseball program at MHS. Last year when the baseball team made a run to the Regional Finals, they had to make this run without their closer because the football coach required the closer to throw footballs during the athletic period which resulted in hundreds of passes a day.

lets take a look at the success of the programs at MHS

S****r- State Champs in '07 & '08
Basketball- Made state tournament in '10
Baseball- '09 State Regional Finalist

Football-hasnt even won a district title

Only time will tell weather the other programs will suffer or the football team will start winning like the other programs at the school
quote:
Originally posted by MHS Insider:
Old School79...you are right on with your post...Friday night lights in the fall is the reason that the last two coaches have left. If you do some research on the head football coach/athletic coordinator at MHS you will find that soon after his arrival that head coaches and programs of other sports suffer. At MHS alone, 2 baseball coaches and the boys basketball coach has left.(both programs were winning when the coach left) Only time will tell when the current basketball coach will leave (even after he made it to state in basketball this year) Lets take a look at the baseball program at MHS. Last year when the baseball team made a run to the Regional Finals, they had to make this run without their closer because the football coach required the closer to throw footballs during the athletic period which resulted in hundreds of passes a day.

lets take a look at the success of the programs at MHS

S****r- State Champs in '07 & '08
Basketball- Made state tournament in '10
Baseball- '09 State Regional Finalist

Football-hasnt even won a district title

Only time will tell weather the other programs will suffer or the football team will start winning like the other programs at the school

I couldnt agree more, with the coaching talent there is at Marcus, who knows when coaches get fired. The AD at Marcus seems to think that they do horrible and he does best. But it appears to be the other way around. Since arriving at Marcus, Erwin hasnt been able to advance past the second round in playoffs, but baseball goes 5 rounds in FD's first year, and basketball does good...so who should be the one who gets fired? Maybe Marcus should find themselves an AD who actually cares about ALL the sports, not just the one he coaches, since its the other sports at marcus that actually win. Basketball went to state semi-finals, so does that mean that after their next season the coach gets fired? With the series sweep of Colleyville, I think Erwin should take notes on how to win some games....
quote:

Inside Man -
This is pretty intriguing. Are you saying that Art Senato quit his successful baseball HC position after only a year and a half because he was frustrated with the constraints that Bryan Erwin has been putting on his program due to football interests ?
FD will be sorely missed, my son plays for a rival HS and has ex-teammates (summer team), that play at MHS, and they all speak very highly of FD. Yes, he did inherit alot of good players but he got them to buy into his philosophy and succeed where others didn't. I know he will land on his feet and be successful again wherever it leads him. God bless him and his family.
quote:
Originally posted by longballs:
MHS insider , u are correct on just a few things. The principal 'Rogers ' had a h... on for Chum.., and wanted him gone before he left the school, Erwin had no input, he was also new at the time. You tell me ,the Discipline at Marcus baseball also left ,the same day when Chum left.. everbody that wanted change " got what they wished for' . It all starts with riding the pine. Good Luck Marcus!! Just ride that 'coat tail"!!!!!

I can't speak for what change did or did not happen, but one thing is for certain. Will somebody please move the MHS 3 hole hitter? When you sac bunt your 3 hole hitter that tells you something.
Last edited by Pick Johnson
quote:
Originally posted by ctiger:
what does that tell you???? im curious what that tells you..

when you sac bunt the 3 hole..

Tells me a few things really.

1. The player probably can't hit

or

2. The coach probably doesn't think the player will get a hit in that situation.

or

3. The coach doesn't understand game situations. Because - In the situation Friday night, when you ask your 3 hole to bunt your opening a base up for them to walk the 4 hole, which happened to be the hottest hitter in the series.

or

4. The player bunted on his own which tells me he doesn't think he can hit or he has the same mind set as his coach in either option #2 or #3.

Personally, I'd go with option #1 since the batting average is below the Mendoza line.
1. Why is he in the 3 hole if "he can't hit."

2. The player was 0 for 2 with 2 K's and really did not look good in those 2 at bats.

3. 5 hole has over 30 RBI on the season on DMN website and 6 hole led all players with RBI in series according to the webcast.

4. Talked to the coach this weekend and asked him that question. He said the bunt was on and that he just wanted to get the score to 4-0.

Oh, it worked out didn't it? They went on to score 3 runs that inning to put the game away.

Hope that answers your question! Wink
omahaorbust:

Best thing about your post..........instead of speculating or theorizing why a coach does what he does you "asked" and got an answer.

Maybe more ppl should ask questions with the source instead of coming up with their own answers or speculations.

I have found there are always two sides to every story. Now and in the past I have found Coach Senato to be very approachable on his situation at Marcus, his coaching philosophy and anything else you need to know.
quote:
Originally posted by omahaorbust:

That is a great question, hence the reason for mine.

quote:
2. The player was 0 for 2 with 2 K's and really did not look good in those 2 at bats.

And this is something new?

quote:
3. 5 hole has over 30 RBI on the season on DMN website and 6 hole led all players with RBI in series according to the webcast.

Well put one of them in the 3 hole then and save a freaking out.
quote:
Originally posted by Pick Johnson:
quote:
Originally posted by omahaorbust:

That is a great question, hence the reason for mine.

quote:

And this is something new?

quote:

Well put one of them in the 3 hole then and save a freaking out.

Since they won 6-0 and the bunt was successful, why are you scrutinizing? Maybe you should apply for the job, since you seem to know so much more then Senato. Im guessing that in your opinion, since they outscored the #3 team in the nation 16-5 in two games, it means he doesnt know what he is doing. I have a better idea, ask him why he did it, OR you could go apply for the Principal of Marcus or AD since they clearly dont think Senato gets it done. You three are in the same boat, all dont know what your doing or saying. Trust Senato, he knows what he is doing.
back to the original topic-

we recently got a new head football coach/ad. his 1st day he was given a list of 5 coaches that needed to be fired, not by the principal by the district. the AD before him was also given a list on his 1st day. The new AD proclaimed to be about all sports, his first week there, he came to baseball, went into the dugout DURING THE GAME and proceeded to recruit for football, same thing at s****r game.
Everybody puts their best face forward for the interview
quote:
Originally posted by PHS Fan:
back to the original topic-

we recently got a new head football coach/ad. his 1st day he was given a list of 5 coaches that needed to be fired, not by the principal by the district. the AD before him was also given a list on his 1st day. The new AD proclaimed to be about all sports, his first week there, he came to baseball, went into the dugout DURING THE GAME and proceeded to recruit for football, same thing at s****r game.
Everybody puts their best face forward for the interview

Very very true. He also has tried to recruit the three stud sophmores from the basketball team that just went to state semi's but they all declined. He recruited a sophmore forward on the s****r team to come do put returns and kick returns for him. I even heard that last year, Erwin pulled Brode Boyd out of baseball practice DURING the playoffs and made him come do QB drills before he could go to baseball. Does this seem right in anyones eyes?
It is wrong on every level. There are many football coaches out there who still think they coach the only sport on campus. My son quit playing after his freshman year last spring because of pressure being put on him to throw balls before school during district baseball season and he was a pitcher! On the varsity baseball team! Amazing! Even the kid figured out real quickly that this coach did not give a rat's a** about his baseball career. Find a football coach who will let you take his starting QB and get him up 2 hours early to work on baseball during the middle of football season. Time that could be spent resting or, hey, here is a novel idea -going to tutorials before school! What could they possibly teach that kid in the middle of April at 7:00 a.m. that would help them win a game in October? There are a lot of coaches who "make" football players participate in track or power lifting, too. It certainly makes a lot of kids decide to NOT play football.
Here is another good one for you - why do they have TWO divisions in football but no other sport? If it is good for the football student/athelete to be able to live that feeling of achievement/accomplishment/exultation
and earning a ring, wouldn't it, by all means of logic, be good for the kids playing other sports? They don't have two divisions in the other sports because football coaches make up the rules and they can now have TWO different guys running around saying they won a state title. Only in football. It is just feeding football coaches egos.
Last edited by Big Train
quote:
Originally posted by Big Train:
It is wrong on every level. There are many football coaches out there who still think they coach the only sport on campus. My son quit playing after his freshman year last spring because of pressure being put on him to throw balls before school during district baseball season and he was a pitcher! On the varsity baseball team! Amazing! Even the kid figured out real quickly that this coach did not give a rat's a** about his baseball career. Find a football coach who will let you take his starting QB and get him up 2 hours early to work on baseball during the middle of football season. Time that could be spent resting or, hey, here is a novel idea -going to tutorials before school! What could they possibly teach that kid in the middle of April at 7:00 a.m. that would help them win a game in October? There are a lot of coaches who "make" football players participate in track or power lifting, too. It certainly makes a lot of kids decide to NOT play football.
Here is another good one for you - why do they have TWO divisions in football but no other sport? If it is good for the football student/athelete to be able to live that feeling of achievement/accomplishment/exultation
and earning a ring, wouldn't it, by all means of logic, be good for the kids playing other sports? They don't have two divisions in the other sports because football coaches make up the rules and they can now have TWO different guys running around saying they won a state title. Only in football. It is just feeding football coaches egos.

Great post Big Train, very nice.

Maybe someone can forward this to ALL the AD/Football coaches, in the area Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by wraggArm:
quote:

Inside Man -
This is pretty intriguing. Are you saying that Art Senato quit his successful baseball HC position after only a year and a half because he was frustrated with the constraints that Bryan Erwin has been putting on his program due to football interests ?

Without a doubt.
I think the solution to the problem of FB coaches having supreme power over all sports and at the same time removing this "secondary sport envy" is to stop having the AD and Head FB coach as one in the same. .It is not my belief that Baseball/S****r/Basketball et al are secondary it is my feeling that these coaches/AD's feel/act that way.

I know the reason most schools have the 2 positions is so they can pay the FB coaches the big bucks....but while they are paying these guys to do 2 jobs they have also created a conflict of interest when it comes to representing all sports, all players and all coaches.
Last edited by oldbat-never
Link copied to your clipboard.