Skip to main content

What college options would be available to a 2015 RHP who is relatively unknown due to minor injuries occurring at the worst possible times if he goes to the pre-draft showcase and hits 90-91 with a very sharp curveball?  Son is 602/170 with a 4.2 and a 30 ACT. He only hit 84 over this summer due to a torn hamstring that he was pitching through and this obviously drew no interest.  He will attend a big showcase in the next couple of weeks, however he is coming off a shutdown period and just now got back on the mound so the velocity will not be there yet.  He is working with a VERY well known MLB trainer who assures him that he can easily get him into the 90's over the next few months but I know that the clock is ticking.  Is JUCO likely his only option or will programs be scrambling to fill  last minute spots.  We are just not sure about the timetable for D1/2/3 and high academic schools in particular this late in the game.  What about guaranteed walk on spots at UF or FSU or the like?  Thanks for any help from those in the know.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

What are your son's academic and athletic aspirations, and how does he prioritize them?

At this point, his academic credentials are real and impressive. His athletic credentials are theoretical and contingent on rapid injury-free development during his senior year.

I recommend applying now to at least a couple D3 schools that are in line with his academic goals and standing.  That way, if he gets injured again or his baseball does not progress as he hopes this winter and spring, he will still have a viable academic path with a college playing opportunity.

Best wishes,

Swampboy and Floridafan, thank you both for replying!

Floridafan, he does have good movement on his four seam and also throws a nice two seamer with some sink.  When you said "..and a build that will impress, 170 is likely to do it." was that a typo and you meant 170 is not likely to do it? I can see the 170 working for and against him when being evaluated.  To me, not a baseball guy, I would see a skinny, young (17 when he graduates) kid throwing 90-91 and salivate at getting him into my college weight program and putting 20 pounds on him.

Swampboy, the velocity improvement is not as dramatic as I made it seem.  He is not trying to improve from 84 to 90, he was 86-87 and pitching injured, thus the 84 over this summer.  His trainer has identified leg and core strength as lacking and that is what he is working on now. Legs are huge muscle groups and a 50 percent increase in leg strength is easily achieved in a few months when working with an untrained subject. I am not going to name names, but I can assure everyone that if I mentioned his trainer's credentials and the roster of MLB players working with him every time we go in there, the "easily into the 90's" from my original post would not seem to be based on high hopes. He is basing this on seeing his mechanics, making a couple of very small adjustments, and increasing his strength and power production from the ground up.

I guess this is all irrelevant if he doesn't get there but my original post was based upon assuming that he does.  Obviously most schools are set now for 2015 RHP, I was just wondering if it is possible for him to get offers in May.  And if it is possible, would these schools be Mid-Majors, D2/3, or what?  What about high academic schools like Emory, MIT, Washington University, Ivy etc? Could the academic schools get him in that late? His grades and scores are good enough, and the pitching would certainly be good enough, but would it be too late? My walk on question from the original post was meant to say "invited walk on" not "guaranteed walk on", he would just want the opportunity to workout through the fall with the team and then let the chips fall where they may when it comes to making the team.  

Thanks again for taking the time guys.  The kid can pitch, he is just due for a break to go his way!

I would step back and figure out what and where your son wants to go without baseball. Then put baseball in the equation. First there is LOTS of time left, particularly for an upside pitcher. My son did not commit until May 1st of his Sr year and had programs tell him not to worry about the May 1st deadline and would get him in up until August, you also have the draft in June and big programs lose pitchers to the draft. (or not)  I would separate the Ivy's and MIT from the other schools you mention, but even an Ivy might be able to fit in one more. MIT is in a whole separate world as far as academics. 

A lot of this really depends on what your son wants, if he is stuck on playing high level D1 ball then plan on going to a JC for even one year and then transfer, if this is really important to him, he could even take less than 12 units and not lose one year of eligibility, if getting a great education and playing baseball while he is at it then I would focus on the top D3 programs, he could likely find himself in the front of rotation of a place like Emory, but I will caution you that the top D3 programs have a lot of D1 pitchers on them. What they do have is the time to develop someone like your son without the roster restrictions so this could be a great alternative, again if this is what he wants to do. 

The top d3 programs are here:

http://www.d3baseball.com/top25/2014/2014-week-final

I would first figure out what is important for him and then it will be a little easier to figure out which way to go. I can tell you from personal experience there is a lot of time left, particularly for a pitcher who has been injured, my son had Mono and was also a late bloomer and had college programs looking at him during his Sr season up until the April time frame. 

That said you must have a plan and be working the plan.

Good Luck!

Last edited by BOF

If I understand this correctly, he has never hit the 90's.  That's just a hoped-for result in due time with ongoing training and avoidance of further nagging issues.  His track record is that he tops out at 87 and sits below that, and let's say he has a plus curve ball.

First of all, that would generate a lot of interest in a typical situation.  Especially with a 6'2", 170 lbs frame -- there's a lot of room to fill out there. 

That sounds positive but maybe it isn't.  Seems like all this was evident last summer and this past fall and yet, no offers.  This leads me to think there is something that is being perceived about your son that is leaving people less enthused than the short description may indicate.  It is often difficult for a parent to be objective in these situations, so it might be smart to ask your son's coaches for a "warts and all" assessment of how he is perceived.  And actually, that communication should be handled by your son, because your involvement could become a negative in its own right, if indeed it hasn't already.

The JuCo option can be good, but how good depends on where you are.  Here in VA, JuCo programs are few and far between in state, and those we do have would involve school at places where your son, based on his academic numbers, should not remotely consider as options for schools.  In some other states, e.g. FL or CA, the JuCo options can often be more enticing. 

I would actively pursue D3 options at this point.  Choose based on which school your son would want if he never got to play baseball at all.

Then, if everything goes as you hope, some D1 offer may yet bubble up this spring, or even over the summer.  With a D3, you sign no NLI, so the D1 options will still be available all through that period. 

Last edited by Midlo Dad

My thoughts are similar to those above, and just being frank, it seems like you are making a lot of excuses.  I think you need to look at things realistically, and then hope for the best.  My son is in a similar situation.  6'4" 215 LHP, who has thrown up to 86.  84 at PG Events.  He was also injured all summer, and played football this fall, so he has been unable to showcase.  He is working out with a pitching coach, and he and others have said son should get to the high 80's low 90's.  However, those are projections, and not reality YET!  He may never get there, as your son may not also.  Reach for the stars for sure, but have a safety net.  With his academics, I would put those first, and baseball second.  A 30 on the ACT gives him SOOO many options, and if he progresses as you think he will, he will be golden. 

Good Luck!

Originally Posted by Swampboy:

MrSnappy,

I graduated from one of those high academic D3's you mentioned. Being an athlete earned no special treatment anywhere on campus for anything. I would be astonished if they waived their admissions deadlines even for a recruited athlete.

I agree with Swampboy, most high-academic schools are going to hold tight on the January 15th regular decision application deadline.  This means a completed application, including your letters of recommendation.  Time is very much of the essence in order to apply to these schools.  Also, a 4.2 with 30 ACT is very nice, but in reality is very much middle-of-the-pack in terms of admission stats for NESCAC and other schools across the country with similar profiles, particularly when you're in the RD candidate pool.  We have a friend whose son was IB student with higher GPA and ACT, and he was denied admission to Wesleyan Univ. and Claremont-McKenna as an RD applicant......very competitive.

Last edited by like2rake

Good points about application deadlines, but the Common App has made it easy to decide apply to whole lot of schools and/or to add a school to you application at the last minute.  If you can bang out a quick essay for the school-specific prompt, and you don't mind the expense, your options are very open.

Originally Posted by rynoattack:

So with a 30 and a 4.2, and his baseball, he would have average credentials.  I would think adding the baseball would give him a slight edge if the coach wants him.  Maybe I am wrong though...

Coach's leverage with admissions is typically for Early Decision, less so with regular decision.  4.2 with 30 ACT, and coach's "turn-in" with admissions as an Early Decision, recruited athlete would be highly likely for admit, but in regular decision pool, potentially much less so.

Originally Posted by JCG:

Good points about application deadlines, but the Common App has made it easy to decide apply to whole lot of schools and/or to add a school to you application at the last minute.  If you can bang out a quick essay for the school-specific prompt, and you don't mind the expense, your options are very open.

Very true about the Common App, but, the letters of recommendation - if not already in the works with teachers/counselors, can be tough to drum-up at the last minute, particularly since the Christmas break takes two weeks away where teachers/counselors will most likely not be working on these for anyone.  Also, some of these essay prompts are a little more thought-provoking, if you've just banged-out a response, you're comparing your work in the RD pool to many applicants who may have really put effort into the writing.

Originally Posted by BaseballmomandCEP:

Just to clarify, MOST of the selective colleges have a January 1, not Jan 15, Reg Decision deadline.

I am assuming the son of the OP has already submitted his reach/target/likely applications for college admisison, to cover his bases (so to speak).

Thank you for correcting that from my post, Son #2 is currently finalizing his last app which has 1/15 deadline, so I had that date on my mind. 

My  opinion, take a step back , with all the " maybe's " and " hope so's "  you are setting your son up for another setback.

My first question would be why do you want to showcase him if he is not 100% ready?   It's great to work with the MLB guy, and I have never worked with one yet who did not promise great results.  I mean what do you want him to say?

It goes without saying that the injuries sat him back, but showcasing without being on top of your game is a huge mistake.

If he was 86-87 healthy and pitching 84 injuried, I do not see 90+ in a few weeks.  And trying to get him there quickly is a mistake.

The grades are good but not earth shattering , its good that he does have them , because right now without them would not be good.

So lets say by showcase time  he is sitting 86-88 as a RHP that has good control and good off speed pitches.  As a RHP I would try and find a good Juco with a good coach that has a history of getting guys to the next level.  This will give him more time to re-coop and hone his skills and get playing time.

I cannot see a RHP 6'2 170 player even at 90, coming off injury , squeezing into a D1 program having any kind of impact his freshman year. 

Now one exception  would be if he really , really wants to attend this school for academics. But I did not hear that.

My 2013 was a very good HS pitcher, a late bloomer, good grades and good desire and work ethic.  We knew he was not D1 coming out of HS. He went Juco and logged innings.  He then transferred to a better Juco and he filled out, got stronger.  He is now going to a mid level D1 next year.  He is a RHP at 6'3 200.... and he does not hit 90  87-89  but... has pin point control and many off speed pitches in the zone. , basically he is hard to barrel up and knows how to get outs.

If he had barley gotten into a D1 program out of HS he would not have gotten the chance to grow , improve and get exp...

You have plenty of time, there is more than one way to get to your goal, but don't push him into a failure, or another injury.  

Also, if you are trying to get a walk on spot at a D1 more than likely you will be disappointed....  Get healthy, go to a school where he can play, have success at that level and go from there.

Originally Posted by bacdorslider:

My  opinion, take a step back , with all the " maybe's " and " hope so's "  you are setting your son up for another setback.

My first question would be why do you want to showcase him if he is not 100% ready?   It's great to work with the MLB guy, and I have never worked with one yet who did not promise great results.  I mean what do you want him to say?

It goes without saying that the injuries sat him back, but showcasing without being on top of your game is a huge mistake.

If he was 86-87 healthy and pitching 84 injuried, I do not see 90+ in a few weeks.  And trying to get him there quickly is a mistake.

The grades are good but not earth shattering , its good that he does have them , because right now without them would not be good.

So lets say by showcase time  he is sitting 86-88 as a RHP that has good control and good off speed pitches.  As a RHP I would try and find a good Juco with a good coach that has a history of getting guys to the next level.  This will give him more time to re-coop and hone his skills and get playing time.

I cannot see a RHP 6'2 170 player even at 90, coming off injury , squeezing into a D1 program having any kind of impact his freshman year. 

Now one exception  would be if he really , really wants to attend this school for academics. But I did not hear that.

My 2013 was a very good HS pitcher, a late bloomer, good grades and good desire and work ethic.  We knew he was not D1 coming out of HS. He went Juco and logged innings.  He then transferred to a better Juco and he filled out, got stronger.  He is now going to a mid level D1 next year.  He is a RHP at 6'3 200.... and he does not hit 90  87-89  but... has pin point control and many off speed pitches in the zone. , basically he is hard to barrel up and knows how to get outs.

If he had barley gotten into a D1 program out of HS he would not have gotten the chance to grow , improve and get exp...

You have plenty of time, there is more than one way to get to your goal, but don't push him into a failure, or another injury.  

Also, if you are trying to get a walk on spot at a D1 more than likely you will be disappointed....  Get healthy, go to a school where he can play, have success at that level and go from there.

I'm a little concerned that we are not getting a 100% complete story here. Where would he have gone to school without baseball? With his grades and scores, he would be in line to attend a really nice school without baseball. Has he applied to any schools yet?

If baseball is the reason nothing has occurred yet, IMHO the advise above is a real good way to go. It gives your son time to heal and develop. Best of luck!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.