Skip to main content

I've been mostly a lurker here for years.    My son is a 2023 and he wants to play ball in college.  He's 5-10 160.  He plays OF and Pitches.  His measurables are as follows-  Top FB 81, usually sits 77 ish.  Exit velo off tee is about 85.  His 60 time is 7.4.  He's a good player but he's not a stud.

He's one of the best players on his HS team (small school).  On his summer team (a really talented group) he does not stand out.  To say he's middle of the pack on that team is being generous.   That's not a knock on my son its more of a compliment for the level of talent on the team in general.

His summer team plays at the highest level possible.  While it's not a nationally recognized program (it's run by a local guy) I do feel like this team couldn't be any better for him from a "big stage" standpoint.  Several kids on the team are getting D1 looks and two are committed.  They play in all the big PG and PBR tournaments. 

Our situation is a bit different from others because if it weren't for baseball my son would likely not go to college.  He'd likely learn a trade or something of the sort.  He's not a great student.  He tries hard but school doesn't come as easy to him as it does to some.

If that weren't the case I'm sure he would be a really good candidate for D3.  I tend to hear D3 and HA mixed in together a lot.  Unfortunately  I don't think HA is in the cards for him.  He has ADHD and has a 504 in school which gives him certain accommodations.  His GPA 3.0.  Without accommodations it wouldn't be that high.   He hasn't taken the ACT or SAT yet.  He doesn't test well so I don't expect high scores.   

He loves the game and wants to keep playing baseball. I promised him that if he'd continue to put in the work that I would continue to do everything I could to help him.

He's not gonna be a D1 or a D2 guy unless something drastic happens like a big growth spurt etc.

Academically I feel like juco is his best route.  I see some of the rosters of the juco's around us and they look a lot like D1 rosters  (lots of talent).  I look at the D3 rosters and they don't appear to have near the talent of the jucos.  Obviously juco is just two years so the likely hood of being able to play could be higher?

How do we decide whether to focus on D3, juco or even NAIA?

Do we actually have to pick one of those routes at some point?  If we do when is that point?

Right now his focus is on trying to get bigger, stronger and faster.  He's gonna play a lot in the summer, but I'm not sure if going to showcases is a good idea or not. 

I feel like I've spent so much time reading on this site I should already know what to do, but I know every situation is a bit unique.   This place has so many helpful folks I thought I'd put my info up to see who would chime in with comments. 

RJM was kind enough to speak with me a bit via PM which was very helpful but I figure the more the merrier.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There are plenty of D3 colleges at all academic levels, more of them in the midwest and northeast than in the south.  They are mostly private, and thus cost $$.  Many use sports to attract students.  The questions you (as the parent) have to answer is, are you willing to pay that tuition (since there are no scholarships) and does the school have majors that your son would like?

D3, juco, and NAIA recruit after junior year, so for your son, summer '22.  You'll know what he's like baseball-wise at that point.  You'll know academically how his junior year went, too - encourage him to do as well as he can in his classes.  Some colleges have special programs for students who need learning accomodations, you might look into that, too; google "colleges ADHD".

None of these levels have roster limits, and many have rosters of 50+.  Thus, playing time will not be a given at any level.  If your son enjoys practices, being with the team, and gets a college degree in the process, then that can be a good outcome.

I also want to add that if your son hasnt done well in the classroom, no D1, D2,D3, HA, NAIA really can't recruit if the academic concerns are not met.

This is just my opinion, but if it were my son, we would be looking at JUCO programs and trying to play as much as possible and concentrate on his measurables, in and out of the classroom as well.

TPM

$tinky,

I agree with TPM and Anotherparent, and I probably agree with RJM even though I don't know what he said.  Their advice is always spot on.   One key word that triggered something in my head was the word "trade school" in your original post.   Hopefully, I'm providing another option you haven't considered.

"Our situation is a bit different from others because if it weren't for baseball my son would likely not go to college.  He'd likely learn a trade or something of the sort.  He's not a great student.  He tries hard but school doesn't come as easy to him as it does to some."

Additionally, I've walked a mile or two in your sons shoes.  I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was a kid, back when nobody knew what it was in 1972.....I was off the charts and my parents thought my middle brother was retarded because he didn't act like his older brother.  I had to work extra hard to focus on school work, but athletics came easy and forced me to spend that focus time on school.  My parents would only allow me to play sports if I kept my grades up...that was the house rule.    I became acutely aware of my condition when I was diagnosed at 10 years old.  It is something I've overcome as an adult but it has taken a lot of self discipline.

There are trade schools that offer baseball programs.   I know of one in Virginia called the Apprentice School. https://www.gobuilders.com/sports/bsb/index   One of the kids I coached in travel baseball played there, and they were very good.  My understanding is there is no tuition cost, but I don't know all the details.    I have to believe there are others like it.   I've been told the Apprentice school is very difficult to get into.   But again, there have to be others like it around the country.  I would start networking, making some phone calls, and learning about other schools like the Apprentice school if your son truly wants to pursue a trade.   They play in the USCAA conference.     

Best of luck and I hope this helps in anyway.

Last edited by fenwaysouth

+1 on all of the advice above.   I just want to add:

• Some kids who have not thrived academically in HS do better in college IF they find something they really like and have an affinity for.
  • You say your kid might learn a trade.  He can learn a trade in Juco while playing baseball. Many schools have auto tech, manufacturing, and culinary programs and also teach things like forestry, EMS, firefighting, & agriculture that may be right for the same type of person who would learn a trade.

You say your kid tries hard. That and showing up for class are three fourths of the battle in being successful in college at any level, IMO.

It sounds like your kid will be getting exposed to coaches from a variety of schools.  In his situation, I think I'd be looking for the right Juco, but remain open to any other opportunities that come up.

Last edited by JCG

Here’s where you can find out what the D3 programs are, where they are and how good they are. From there you can make a list and research them academically. Look up average admission gpa, SAT/ACT scores. Don’t be scared by list price. He may qualify for need money.

There are D3 programs where the only requirement is the money and a pulse. There are also D3 programs that are part of the state university system. NAIA and JuCos are another option. There are D3 JuCos.

Does your son know what direction he wants to take in life? Is it worth paying for even a public university D3 if it doesn’t lead anywhere in life? However, there are technically oriented colleges.

If your son isn’t going to get anything out of college academically why not look for a quality adult summer league?

@fenwaysouth posted:

$tinky,

I agree with TPM and Anotherparent, and I probably agree with RJM even though I don't know what he said.  Their advice is always spot on.   One key word that triggered something in my head was the word "trade school" in your original post.   Hopefully, I'm providing another option you haven't considered.

"Our situation is a bit different from others because if it weren't for baseball my son would likely not go to college.  He'd likely learn a trade or something of the sort.  He's not a great student.  He tries hard but school doesn't come as easy to him as it does to some."

Additionally, I've walked a mile or two in your sons shoes.  I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was a kid, back when nobody knew what it was in 1972.....I was off the charts and my parents thought my middle brother was retarded because he didn't act like his older brother.  I had to work extra hard to focus on school work, but athletics came easy and forced me to spend that focus time on school.  My parents would only allow me to play sports if I kept my grades up...that was the house rule.    I became acutely aware of my condition when I was diagnosed at 10 years old.  It is something I've overcome as an adult but it has taken a lot of self discipline.

There are trade schools that offer baseball programs.   I know of one in Virginia called the Apprentice School. https://www.gobuilders.com/sports/bsb/index   One of the kids I coached in travel baseball played there, and they were very good.  My understanding is there is no tuition cost, but I don't know all the details.    I have to believe there are others like it.   I've been told the Apprentice school is very difficult to get into.   But again, there have to be others like it around the country.  I would start networking, making some phone calls, and learning about other schools like the Apprentice school if your son truly wants to pursue a trade.   They play in the USCAA conference.     

Best of luck and I hope this helps in anyway.

I have Adhd as well.  I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my early 30's.  It did not keep me from making good grades so I sometimes wonder if there are different types or if it affects people differently.

He's taken meds since he was 9.  He has recently gotten to where he doesn't take them daily.  He now takes them as needed.

Last edited by $tinky
@RJM posted:

Here’s where you can find out what the D3 programs are, where they are and how good they are. From there you can make a list and research them academically. Look up average admission gpa, SAT/ACT scores. Don’t be scared by list price. He may qualify for need money.

There are D3 programs where the only requirement is the money and a pulse. There are also D3 programs that are part of the state university system. NAIA and JuCos are another option. There are D3 JuCos.

Does your son know what direction he wants to take in life? Is it worth paying for even a public university D3 if it doesn’t lead anywhere in life? However, there are technically oriented colleges.

If your son isn’t going to get anything out of college academically why not look for a quality adult summer league?

RJM did you intend to link to something?  Just notice you said "here is where you can find........."

Like most 16 year olds he doesn't know what he wants to get into at this point. 

When I said if it wasn't for playing baseball he may not go college that was more of me saying that based on what I see.   

Cut the kid some slack! 3.0 is not a bad GPA. It’s a B average! He can easily make it in college if he continues to work hard and finds a major he’s interested in. I’m going to bet there are subjects he loves and excels in, while there are other subjects he struggles with. Look for majors/programs/schools that play to his strengths and interests, and not just in baseball.

NAIA and JUCOs are a great way to go, and there are specialty schools such as The Academy of Art in San Francisco* that offer baseball.

* not great example as it costs a fortune and is hard to get into, but you get the idea

But first question - does he want to go to college? Does he want to play baseball in college? How important is college to him?  How important is baseball?

After that, what does he like? What is he into?

@DD 2024 posted:

Cut the kid some slack! 3.0 is not a bad GPA. It’s a B average! He can easily make it in college if he continues to work hard and finds a major he’s interested in. I’m going to bet there are subjects he loves and excels in, while there are other subjects he struggles with. Look for majors/programs/schools that play to his strengths and interests, and not just in baseball.

NAIA and JUCOs are a great way to go, and there are specialty schools such as The Academy of Art in San Francisco* that offer baseball.

* not great example as it costs a fortune and is hard to get into, but you get the idea

But first question - does he want to go to college? Does he want to play baseball in college? How important is college to him?  How important is baseball?

Indeed.  My son graduated HS with a 2.9 GPA.  Went to a JuCo for two years where he played baseball as well.  Received a scholarship/grant offer from a D2 university and eventually graduated with a Bachelor's degree.  His path took some sideways jaunts, but he did earn his degree.  He's now employed as a correctional officer.

@DD 2024 posted:

Yeah its not like I feel like a 3.0 is bad.  He does have some accommodations in school currently which do help him considerably.

When those are taken away and he's on his own, I worry how he'll do. 

He wants to go to college.  I'm not sure if he wants it because that's the route to continue baseball.  Maybe he wants it because that's what all the other kids say they want.  I mean nowadays it seems rare for a kids to say, I'm not going to college, instead I'm gonna work construction or get into hvac repair.   

@$tinky posted:

Yeah its not like I feel like a 3.0 is bad.  He does have some accommodations in school currently which do help him considerably.

When those are taken away and he's on his own, I worry how he'll do.

He wants to go to college.  I'm not sure if he wants it because that's the route to continue baseball.  Maybe he wants it because that's what all the other kids say they want.  I mean nowadays it seems rare for a kids to say, I'm not going to college, instead I'm gonna work construction or get into hvac repair.   

Many colleges offer the same accommodations as public school systems.  Especially public colleges.  Some are better than others, I bet the moms of an ADHD support group in your area would know off the cuff which ones are great and which ones to avoid, but these days they have support centers for students with IDEA protections (ADHD is one).  My youngest (NOT a baseball player) had brain surgery last year and did some follow up testing with a neuropsychologist last week.  He brought up to me the next time he needs to see her was spring of her senior year so we can get everything updated and ready for us to arrange her accommodations in college. Preferably before she decides which school to attend so we can make sure it's a good fit for her special needs.

Yes, it will make your search harder to find a good school fit and good baseball fit.  But really it's no different than kids on the other end who are looking for a high academic fit and baseball fit.

Best of luck.

While I'd always be looking into any and all options you can, this seems like a fairly clear path to going the JUCO route.  It won't be easy, but I'd suggest looking for a JUCO program/coach that is big into grades and has academic support to back it up.  If baseball is a key component to him going to school and graduating, I'd also make roster size a big factor.  Ask yourself what would likely happen to him if he rode the bench.

While my 2021 son isn't in the exact same situation as yours, there are some similarities.  First off, my son has a 3.15 GPA.  No, that's not "bad," but it was a factor with regard to D1 and their abilities to offer him any academic money.  This was a bit of a mind blow for me, but his GPA is actually a concern with his future JUCO coach.  His team GPA is usually around 3.5 and he takes it VERY seriously.  If my son sits in the lower 3s GPA-wise this fall, the coach puts a bunch of requirements in place.  Extra study hall, mandatory time with tutors, etc.  The coach also keeps his rosters manageable.  Typically 32-35, but is running with 36 this year due to Covid.  Not a lot of JUCOs can say that, but they're out there if you look hard.

It's cliché and often leaves dads feeling dissatisfied when presented with it as advice, but getting bigger, stronger and faster is huge.  100% of players and parents will look you in the eye and say "he is/I am," but my experience is that it's much closer to 0% than it is 100%.  If a kid isn't working out at least 3-4 days a week (in addition to what everyone else is doing) on his own, he's not trying to get bigger, faster or stronger.  I didn't see my son truly get bigger, stronger and faster until he was doing it 7 days a week.  Once he started nearly obsessing over it is when I understood what it truly meant.  On my son's visit to the JUCO he committed to, the coach walked us through a "day in the life" of his players (inseason and offseason).  It was heavy, but the one piece that really stood out for me was this.  He said from 8:00pm on is when the kids have their "free time."  But then he said most of the players simply head back to the cages and get another 150-200 swings in.  In their "free" time.

Do most new parents that come here actually understand what it's like to play a sport in college AND maintain a GPA that keeps them eligible?

$tinky,

Do not compare your college experience and your learning disabilities to that of your son (unless you played sports in college).

You have gotten some great feedback. Now its time that you sit down with your son for a man to man and discuss the situation and what might be a good option. He can sit down with his guidance counselor (and you) as well.

If he does not want to attend college, you need to talk about alternate career options with him.

TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.