Skip to main content

We have lost a wonderful person. I met Mary Ann in 2001 when our boys squared off against each other during a high school tournament. We were the only team from Florida playing in AJ's back yard and Mary Ann was standing behind the backstop and began asking me questions about our team. She made me feel very comfortable and was very complimentary about our overmatched players. I knew right then what a classy person she was. I asked her what her name was and she said Mary Ann Shappi. I had seen AJ pitch the night before on the Cal State Fullerton field and completely dominate the opposing team so I said are you AJ Shappi's mother and she was a little surprised-told her I saw the game last night and had never seen such a performance by a HS pitcher. She kind of shrugged it off and just said "AJ was very happy". We talked for a few more innings and said our goodbyes. Little did I know that our paths would cross again a couple of years later on the HSBaseball Web. We've PM'd a number of times and I root for AJ as if he were my own son.

AJ your mother was a wonderful person that touched a lot of lives all over this country and she was very,very proud of you.
You can be very,very proud of her. She was a GEM!

We miss you Mary Ann.
quote:
"The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you;
He will never leave you nor forsake you.
Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."
Deuteronomy 31:8 [8/21/08]

Mary Ann,
I feel so blessed and honored to call you " friend ".
You are a GEM indeed.
My heart is broken.
May your heaven be filled with pink poodle hugzzz forever.

...and may your strength that you so selflessly gave to others, help us all through this difficult time. You will be missed deeply.

Our hearts are heavy, this day.
My love and deepest sympathy to your family~

Last edited by shortstopmom
When I remember Mary Ann the Fruits of the Spirit come to mind; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness...she truly walked the walk. Even through all her health issues, she lived and died in victory over her circumstances.

As others have mentioned Mary Ann's Faith was the source of her strength and comfort.

In Memory of Mary Ann Shappi, John 14:1-6 1"Do Not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. 2In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4You know the way to the place where I am going." 5Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?" 6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

As Mary Ann has been such a blessing to me, I pray that our many prayers and condolences will bless and comfort the Shappi family and her Mother. May the peace of God be with you all.
I never met Mary Ann in person. But I spent many a day and night over the last few years talking to her and getting to know her. She was a wonderfull person in every way. She will be missed. I feel like I lost a close friend today. FutureBack.Mom was a part of our baseball family. I consider everyone I have gotten to know over the years here as my friends. I have met many of you and many of you I have never gotten the chance to meet. Mary Ann will be missed by all of us. God Bless her family and comfort them in this time of need.
I'm just heart broken.

I never meet Mary Ann but like many others I know her from this message board and feel like I've lost a dear friend.

I felt a special connection with mary Ann because our sons picked back to back in the 2004 draft...what are the odds that we would "meet" here.

My thoughts and prayers go out to her family
Last edited by njbb
I will certainly miss her gentle words, her deep faith, and most of all her wonderful example of how to be a humble yet proud baseball parent. The world is a far richer place for her having been here.

My thoughts tonight are with her family and friends with my deepest sympathies for their incredible loss.
My heart and prayers go out to the family. I know how tough this time is because my dad passed away 10 years ago from lung cancer.

There are some really nice sentiments on here - is there anyway someone can print these out and give them to her kids and family? I believe they would really appreciate seeing all these great words and hopefully get some comfort out of them.

The occasion of the Chicago White Sox playing in the World Series against the Houston Astros back in '05 inspired Bullwinkle to start a lighthearted thread regarding the series. It looked like fun, and being a White Sox fan, it made it even more exciting.

Although I had only been a member of this site for a few short months, I mustered up enough courage to step in and try to be my silly self, a bit nervous about how I might be received. I posted a few comments and who do you suppose jumped right in to have some good, clean, and old fashioned fun? FutureBack.Mom of course... God bless her! Before it was done I had made over 100 posts...spurred on by her lively give and take.

We, along with others, had a particularly enjoyable evening and that night remains my most memorable on this great site. I met a remarkably warm, clever, intelligent, and caring person...someone who took the time to engage a relative newcomer and make him feel welcome. My respect and fondness for FutureBack.Mom was immediate and deep, and over time it never diminished...it only was bolstered as I got to know her.

It is apparent from all of the fine comments in this thread that Mary Ann's legacy is secure. She lived her life to the fullest and continues to contribute substantially to the reservoir of goodness...her warmth, friendliness, compassion, and steadiness are so precious and necessary. We are all much better having known Mary Ann and learning from her.

So as she gazes down on her family and friends, let's reward Mary Ann with actions and behavior that will bring a gentle smile to her face...she will know that the decent life she lived will certainly have been very worthwhile.

The world will forever remain a better place for having Mary Ann grace its bounds.

quote:
There are some really nice sentiments on here - is there anyway someone can print these out and give them to her kids and family?

Coach2709,

Yes, CatchMm (Susan) is a long-time friend of Mary Ann and has spent time at the hospital with her family during these difficult days. Susan is planning to print out the warm thoughts and condolences in our forum and share them with Mary Ann's family. Perhaps then they can gain some idea of how much "FutureBack.Mom" has meant to so many of her baseball friends.

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
Nope, that is NOT how I pictured Mary Ann!!!!! Thanks for posting the photo----she is beautiful----as are catchmom and UrKillingMeBlue!

So few of us actually met her.....yet how can we all be so sad? It’s the magic of this website, but more importantly, it is the magic of Mary Ann. We DID know her. She was so easy to know and even easier to like and respect.

I recall one weekend this past spring when she and some other girl friends posted….it was as if we were 13 years old at a slumber party! Yet we weren’t----- we were just moms of baseball-playing sons. We didn't necessarily have much in common, we lived all over the country, had never met, yet somehow we connected to each other through our computers and became friends……..What a world! What a website!

Woody suggested that we reward Mary Ann with actions and behavior which will make her smile….I agree. She had class and grace and dignity and a great sense of humor. She was definitely one of those people for whom the phase “When ++++++++ talks, people listen” was written. I did, anyway.

Her faith was inspirational and admirable. I always took the time to read her signature line, no matter what it was, or how many times I had read it before. I felt that if a passage was special to Mary Ann, it should have meaning for me, too. She never failed me!

What a profound loss we are experiencing. What a profound loss her family has. The world mourns her, too. It is a small world, and one which is a little less wonderful right now.

I shall miss her. May eternal rest be granted to her, perpetual light shine upon her, and may she rest in peace. Amen.
Last edited by play baseball
I am at a loss for words....I, too, have not posted in a long time but still check in to follow the updates on the youngmen who were in the same age bracket as my own child...I, also, was part of the original Ladies Lounge group back 6 years ago...what fun we had...sharing stories not only about our boys but also cooking, laundry and other areas of being a "MOM"...Mary Ann was an intrigal part of that group...we laughed...we cried....we shared parts of our lives...our feelings on being baseball moms etc..I feel as if I lost an old friend...one who I have lost contact with over time...Mary Ann was a loving, kind, empathetic woman...who dearly loved her husband and son...I remember vivdly when AJ and Katie were married and how she welcomed and loved her new daughter-in-law and their puppy...I do believe that my signature embodies what we all hope to achieve in our lifetime....I know Mary Ann did...may she rest in peace
I also check in now and then and was so saddened by this news. Like Catchermom 03 I remember Mary Ann from the days of Pa Mom, Chill, Hot Mama, BK's MOM,UKMB,and many others.

Bighit and Fungo would stop in to say hi now and then. She was a gentle soul who never had a bad work to say about anyone.

When AJ and Katie announced their marriage I remember how fondly she spoke of Katie and her plans to become a teacher. And you always knew that Marv and AJ meant the world to her. She never bragged although she had plenty to brag about.

Prayers for her family are offered. I hope the many happy memories can ease the pain at this time.
I have been reading and praying along with everyone else. When I first talked with Mary Ann she was Highlandermom. Our son's were both drafted in the same draft along with njbb and other sons. We use to exchange occasional e-mails.

I use to tease her and tell her to get a life. All she did was hsbbweb and her son's baseball. She would always respond back. "Yea, just like you".

My mom-in-law is end stage right now and my wife has been with her for several weeks in Orlando. I know how painful it can be. I am just glad that Mary Ann had her faith and family with her at the end. That is all one can ask for in this circle of life. She has left a legacy her on this site that will be remembered as long as we remember her.

R.I.P You are sleeping with angels now.
quote:

It is apparent from all of the fine comments in this thread that Mary Ann's legacy is secure. She lived her life to the fullest and continues to contribute substantially to the reservoir of goodness...her warmth, friendliness, compassion, and steadiness are so precious and necessary. We are all much better having known Mary Ann and learning from her.

So as she gazes down on her family and friends, let's reward Mary Ann with actions and behavior that will bring a gentle smile to her face...she will know that the decent life she lived will certainly have been very worthwhile.

The world will forever remain a better place for having Mary Ann grace its bounds.

quote:
To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived-- this is to have succeeded.
Emerson

In tribute and rememberance I went back and reviewed many of Mary Ann's posts...and her underlying message is so crystal clear.

Many people talk the game of compassion, of caring, of connection, of love. This thread, and the outpouring of affection and grief and rememberence remind us so very clearly that Mary Ann truely lived all of the best parts of her humanity, and in that process touched so many.

It is also very clear that one of Mary Ann's greatest legacy's is us. In this difficult monent it is clear that we are all not only better posters....but better wives, better parents, better people as a result of the way she touched us with each post....And by her words, actions and presence for those of you who were fortunate enough to know her beyond her wonderful presence on the HSBBW.

Her reach was wide, her message clear, and she will live here and with us in our hearts and in our actions for a very long time.

Just read this and I'm certainly feeling the loss of a warm and very decnt person. She often had inspiring comments for many of us. I'm praying for those who are left here to move on without her.

Pray not for those who have left us, for they are in the arms of the Lord. Pray for those who must struggle without the loved one they've lost.
Hello, old friends---

The grapevine, sadly, wound its way to me late last night when I was devastated to learn that the torch of seniority in the original LOBBY (Kathy---luvbb---the acronym more mischievously stood for "Lil Ol Biddy Brigade Yo") had unexpectedly, tragically passed to me. I have not visited here in a very long while...I am stunned at the news.

Highlandermom (aka: Mary Ann and various, more recent aliases) and I found a "not-so-six-degrees-of-separation" connection very early on in our hsbbweb "careers." Turns out that she was actually more of a PAmom than I, having been raised in Pittsburgh (I am from Cleveland). One of the most hilarious exchanges I still recall with a giggle involved speaking "Pittsburghese" throughout an entire thread. "Yinz goin' dahntahn to watch the Stillers play?" "Sure, after I redd up the hahse."
SAY WHAT??!! Confused

More silliness occurred in the LOBBY---with "Hairy" and Cankles and Men Tasting Like Chicken (forgive us, for we know not what we do!). The Birthday Board was wonderful, as were the laughs and the tears and the daily hugs from all of the baseball moms. Loopy Wafflebiscuits (aka: Mary Ann, thanks to URKMB!), in the middle of it all, relished her many roles as a hsbbweb original.

But as many of you know, faith and family FIRST were the driving forces in Mary Ann's too short life. She had it right. She lived it right. We know that today, Mary Ann resides in the answer to my signature line.

And that answer is: "YES!"
I pray the words in her signature line bring comfort to her family...and that the words may comfort those of us who never knew her face to face...as well as those who have had the honor:

"The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."
Deuteronomy 31:8
Dear Baseball Family,

Here is Mary Ann's obituary in today's Orange County Register.
http://www.legacy.com/orangecounty/Obituaries.asp?Page=...y&PersonId=118661178

There is a place for people to leave messages for the Shappi's. I think you will LOVE the picture of Mary Ann. It is a great photo and really captures her spirit!

Thank you again for all your thoughts and prayers for our dear friend.

Blessings,
Susan
quote:
Originally posted by CatchMm:
Dear Baseball Family,

Here is Mary Ann's obituary in today's Orange County Register.
http://www.legacy.com/orangecounty/Obituaries.asp?Page=...y&PersonId=118661178

There is a place for people to leave messages for the Shappi's. I think you will LOVE the picture of Mary Ann. It is a great photo and really captures her spirit!

Thank you again for all your thoughts and prayers for our dear friend.

Blessings,
Susan

What a beautiful picture of Mary Ann. I hope AJ makes it to the big leagues next year. That would be bitter-sweet obviously. Many athletes like Randy Johnson point up toward the sky to a loved one and I could see the same thing happening on that occasion.
My prayers and condolences go out to Mary Ann's family. She was such a great source of information and comfort to me too. As my son went through the draft and signing she provided me with some advice in our PM's in a way only another mother could. I thank God for having "known" her and will continue to pray for her family in the weeks to come.
Been thinking for several days for the "right" thing to say. Obviously, there are not words to express my sincere sympathy to the family. However, as I have contemplated my words... I have realized that we all would like to leave this world having affected as many people as Mary Ann obviously has.

Prayers to her family and friends.
YoungGunDad,

Yes, we have dedicated the Ladies Lounge to Mary Ann. There is a new sign on the door, and we will also start a "sticky thread" in the LL to give newcomers some idea of what was so special about Mary Ann.

There will also be a scholarship in memory of Mary Ann. I will contact some of the members who knew her best next week, to ask their input and begin planning, but anyone who wants to help with the scholarship is invited to contact me via PM.

Julie
I remember so many things fondly about Mary Ann. She would PM and then email me with questions, when she first became a member.

I asked her one evening "How good do you think your son is?" This when he was a high school sophomore. Her response was "We think he is pretty good, but we are not sure."

I called a good friend that was an area scout in California. He did some checking and then went and watched AJ play. The report was "This kid has a huge upside!"

A long time ago I stated that what makes this "place" special is the people. Sadly now it is a little less special.

Mary Ann ... You were loved by so many of us here. God Bless you.

Bob
Last edited by hsbbweb

quote:
Originally posted by iheartbb:
It's not too late to plant some pink bulbs in her memory, as the lovely pink hue emerges in the spring, find yourself inspired to pay her kindness forward.

I'm posting this because I know Mary Ann is looking down on us and she just expects me to do this...this is for you Mary Ann!

I've planted all of 'em iheartbb, but every time I water them all I get is a loud sputtering sound followed by brilliant pink flashes. Am I perhaps doing something wrong?

We love you Mary Ann!

Last edited by gotwood4sale
I am so sad to read about sweet Mary Ann's death. So many thoughts are running through my head. I remember when she had her first symptoms and how humbly she always asked for our prayers as she faced each battle. At least now she is at peace in our Father's arms.

AJ....
Your Mom was your biggest fan and so incredibly proud of the man you had become both on and off the field. As I'm sure you already know, she loved you deeply and that love had nothing to do with baseball. Keep your faith and continue to trust that God is in control. You're in our prayers.
Last edited by TxMom
Mary Ann is especially missed during this holiday season, when she brought extra joy to her friends and family with her humor and thoughtfulness.

I wanted to let you all know that in a few days we will be moving this memorial thread to the Ladies Lounge, where it will remain pinned at the top of the forum. I didn't want anyone to think that it had disappeared. Mary Ann will always be with us, in our fond memories and in our hearts.

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
BOF,

The very first PM I ever received here - I'm guessing about 8 or 9 years ago, long before I had any idea I would one day own and administer this site - was from Mary Ann.

I had posted kind of a "stupid question" and had gotten some replies that were a little rough, and she was sending me words of encouragement. She told me not to worry, just to take the good and ignore the rest, and made me feel that I was not the first person who had ever asked a dumb question here. Smile

I sure do miss Mary Ann.

Julie

Sometimes I come to this thread to run through the posts remembering Mary Ann. I, like many, received messages from her that were of great help and comfort when I was just starting out here.

I now come to look through the names of all the posters who left messages...some whom I haven't spoken to in many years...........is that the proof of what kind of person that Mary Ann was?

When we leave this earth it will not matter how much money we made or how nice a home we had nor how many possessions we acquired. 

It will matter to those whose hearts we managed to touch along the way. 

Ive come to believe that the value of a person is in what they give and not in what they receive. 

People are drawn to those who can lead selflessly and whose motivation and concern can never be questioned.

Coming up on what?.....5 years now?

And I still struggle with the Masters plan.........

There are times that I catch myself thinking of her, and how her family is doing. The same with others that posted here no longer with us.

I find recently so many people down on those of us that have been here for a long time, but IMO they just don't understand how much we all cared about our players and each other. 

Thank you !

piaa_ump and TPM,

Just like you, from time to time I think of Mary Ann without knowing where the thought came from.

When I first posted on this site so many years ago (more than a decade), a few of the first responses I received were a little abrupt, even intimidating. I felt slightly uncomfortable, wondering if I should be embarrassed about how I had phrased my questions.

Who was the first person to ease my mind? Of course it was Mary Ann, sending a private message to assure me that my questions were very common for newcomers, etc.  We went on to become "real cyber friends", and thru Mary Ann I also became friends with some moms here who have become my "real in-person friends", flying cross country once in a while to share stories and laughs and sometimes tears.

Mary Ann, we miss you!

Julie

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.