Skip to main content

Specifically looking for info about Marywood, St. Vincent, Alvernia and Westminster College.  We've done our share of on-line research, did a tour and met with coaches of Marywood and Alvernia with an overnight coming up soon.  2015 has received a good amount of attention and communication from all four.  Looking for any further insight...   Thanks.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by upthegap:

Thanks Phils2222.  He's a catcher.  Coach suggested we do an overnight when students are back from Christmas break.  We were also impressed with baseball facilities, coach and campus.  As we have been finding out, some of our best info has come out of the overnight visits.

That's an interesting strategy for the coach...  Christmas break is a long time away - kids probably return to school near MLK weekend then have 2 weeks before practices start. There's perhaps 2 weekends of overnights possible in January. My experience and from what I've read thru the years here is that there's this thing called Early Decision that D3 coaches like to push their recruits towards so that they have them locked up before the holiday break. Those players overnight before Thanksgiving (after that students are preparing for finals).

Point is - don't put all your eggs in the one basket...  One wonders does the coach have a player on his radar that he's trying to get to go ED and then hope to also pull in your son after. Go visit a few more schools in the conference... The coach will find out (the network between coaches is strong) and you'll perhaps know by his [lack of] response regarding his interest level. With regard to the network - we visited two schools in one trip - when we got to the second school and talked with the coach he already knew we'd been at the first school even though we didn't tell him (we mentioned to the first school coach that we were headed to visit the second one).  And yes, D3 in PA in same conference (Centennial).

Originally Posted by JohnF:
Originally Posted by upthegap:

Thanks Phils2222.  He's a catcher.  Coach suggested we do an overnight when students are back from Christmas break.  We were also impressed with baseball facilities, coach and campus.  As we have been finding out, some of our best info has come out of the overnight visits.

That's an interesting strategy for the coach...  Christmas break is a long time away - kids probably return to school near MLK weekend then have 2 weeks before practices start. There's perhaps 2 weekends of overnights possible in January. My experience and from what I've read thru the years here is that there's this thing called Early Decision that D3 coaches like to push their recruits towards so that they have them locked up before the holiday break. Those players overnight before Thanksgiving (after that students are preparing for finals).

Point is - don't put all your eggs in the one basket...  One wonders does the coach have a player on his radar that he's trying to get to go ED and then hope to also pull in your son after. Go visit a few more schools in the conference... The coach will find out (the network between coaches is strong) and you'll perhaps know by his [lack of] response regarding his interest level. With regard to the network - we visited two schools in one trip - when we got to the second school and talked with the coach he already knew we'd been at the first school even though we didn't tell him (we mentioned to the first school coach that we were headed to visit the second one).  And yes, D3 in PA in same conference (Centennial).

In my experience not all D3 coaches push ED. Many push early action. My son was heavily recruited by many D3's. All asked him to apply Early action. It is usually the more selective schools that want you to apply ED. The coach may have more pull or a number of Tips for ED. If your test scores and transcripts fall into the range that gets kids admitted without ED, their is no reason to go ED. If an athletes scores compare favorably to the projected incoming class then ED may not be required. How does the OP's sons test scores compare to the incoming class. Will the cooach be able to get him into the school without ED? 

While my son applied EA at a number of colleges and was accepted at all of them, He did the bulk of his overnights after Christmas break. He did a few before and after Thanksgiving. Most of these overnights also require some time commitment for the current players, they need to show the recruits around and host them in their dorm. The time spent between Thanksgiving and Christmas may be better used for studying and preparing for exams than ushering around recruits.

D3's are so diverse it is hard to put them all in the same bucket and say most want ED. Each school has their own strategy.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.