Skip to main content

Curious about a couple of things and was wondering if the people that live locally can help.

There is a collegiate wood bat league, the West Coast League. Any idea how the recruiting process works in the league? How competitive is the league? Are they players generally local players or does the league attract players nationwide?

What's the level of interest in the league? I guess what I mean to ask is... are there many professional scouts attending the games? Are there any fans attending the games other than the host families, and the players girlfriends?

What is the general opinion of coaches Dennis Rogers (Riverside College) and Bob Miller (Cuesta College)? [Shoot me a PM if you want to keep those opinions from the board]

Thanks for the info.

Chi più sa, meno crede.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I was pretty impressed with the WCL. Quality play, facilities, fan base, and interest. Check out prior year rosters and you'll see that most top programs in the country send players there. They are sometimes the unproven, underclassmen but they were highly recruited. One of the few leagues that allow incoming college freshmen, so you get the top incoming from H.S. from the top colleges in the U.S., which makes for top notch competition. Some venues are quite the drive, but nowhere near as brutal as the NWL. Usually play a 40-50 game schedule, which again, is less brutal than NWL. More scouts at the Knights games on the OSU campus, since it is closer to the metro area than other teams.Lots of promotions to bring in crowds that are more than just the families of players, with some teams (Bend Elks)drawing big crowds most games. The All Star game has the most scouts attending. Son played after H.S. for the Elks and after freshman year for the Gems before going to NWL. Gotta say the WCL is right up there and a great experience.
Coach Miller is a very good straight forward, no-nonsense guy with a strong background and a very successful track record. Upstanding and true to his word.

Also, I have been to the stadium in Bend. Pretty cool older place that feels like it drips in history and they seem to get great community support and attendance.

I don't live there but the Pacific Northwest is a pretty great place to be in the summer.
Very well respected summer ball league with many top-notch players from across the US. They draw big crowds in many areas.

Go to the "after high school section" here and do a search. You'll find more 1st hand info there.

As Cabbagedad said Coach Miller for m Cuesta College is a long time JC coach that is very respected in CA.

My son played in the WCL last summer so send me a pm if you want more input.

Good luck!
quote:
Originally posted by cabbagedad:
Coach Miller is a very good straight forward, no-nonsense guy with a strong background and a very successful track record. Upstanding and true to his word.

Also, I have been to the stadium in Bend. Pretty cool older place that feels like it drips in history and they seem to get great community support and attendance.

I don't live there but the Pacific Northwest is a pretty great place to be in the summer.

Trust me if you don't like rain everyday from October to May don't live here. Can't wait to retire and get out of here for the rainy season.

When your heart is set on buying those embroidered hip waders from Dypvig's Deep Bay Fashions & Military Surplus there will be some days when the rain and the high tide just won't behave and let you go shopping.

That's especially frustrating because you know there's always plenty of parking available on days like this if you could just get to it.

Wink

Last edited by gotwood4sale

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.