Skip to main content

@Iowamom23 posted:

I think one thing we should all remember is that this is our place as parents to vent. I'm not sure any of us should be (or want to be) judged completely by what we say on this web site. Being the parent of a baseball player — pitcher or position — is rough. We all need a safe space to share our concerns and frustrations and this is it.

Our jobs are rough enough, we need to cut each other a break.

This is so true..... my sons four years of playing in HS were very disappointing. I can remember numerous times starting a post here to vent and then deleting it. I’m an x- high school basketball coach and the reason l’m an x-coach....... I despised parents. This should be a place to vent.

I’m providing the perspective of a parent who has been through the journey twice. I’ve also been through the journey as a travel coach of high end teams (though 18u Gold in softball and 16u in baseball) who heard some incredibly off the wall evaluations of their kids by parents.

Another issue is parents aren’t usually around to see what transpires in practice. Kids don’t always give an accurate description of what’s really going on to their parents.

@Iowamom23 posted:

I think one thing we should all remember is that this is our place as parents to vent. I'm not sure any of us should be (or want to be) judged completely by what we say on this web site. Being the parent of a baseball player — pitcher or position — is rough. We all need a safe space to share our concerns and frustrations and this is it.

Our jobs are rough enough, we need to cut each other a break.

An occasional vent is fine. But that’s not the purpose of this site IMO. And it’s not always helpful to “support” people that vent on a regular basis. Sometimes it’s more helpful for them to hear the truth - even if they don’t like it. Terms like “safe space” make my skin crawl. It’s not that big a deal if someone gets their feelings hurt for a little bit by hearing something they need to hear.

I think we all appreciate Tim the Enchanter's appearances.  They are ever so rare.

To remedy the hunger you might feel due to his many long absences, I offer this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZJZK6rzjns

While several "Top Ten Wizards" lists rank him #2 (after that teen sensation Albus Dumbledore) Tim will always be #1 in my book.

http://content.time.com/time/s...0419_1910469,00.html

Wildcat, the game is in 4 hours.  I'll be sure to post, assuming I'm still breathing.

I have been coming here for a few years now to 1) get advice 2) hear your stories and 3) vent.

it’s not like you can vent to other parents much less the coaches. And forget social media- that’s suicide.

im not a softy who can’t handle truth. I’m also not one who thinks my son is the best. I’ve always told him he has to earn his spot to play. What I don’t like is the macho daddy ball coaches who think they know it all and live their fantasies out by coaching kids.

@adbono posted:

An occasional vent is fine. But that’s not the purpose of this site IMO. And it’s not always helpful to “support” people that vent on a regular basis. Sometimes it’s more helpful for them to hear the truth - even if they don’t like it. Terms like “safe space” make my skin crawl. It’s not that big a deal if someone gets their feelings hurt for a little bit by hearing something they need to hear.

Where was “ safe space” mentioned?

@Iowamom23 posted:

I said it. "We all need a safe space to share our concerns and frustrations and this is it."

And I stand by it. This is the place on some threads to share concerns and frustrations you can't share with parents of your kids' teammates or on social media. Not everybody has to agree with that.

Thanks Iowamom23 for clarifying. I missed that. I still agree 100% with the spirit of your post. “ Safe space” is a trigger phrase for many and something I’m not fond of either. Thanks again.

Ok, folks, I had a mellower evening than I was expecting.  We lost 2-1 on a suicide squeeze in the bottom of the sixth.  We only had one hit, and never had the lead, which is when my son would have been put in.  So, I watched the game as an interested fan, not as a crazed parent.  

Thanks for all your support!

So even though your season was only 7 games, sounds like you had all the thrills and chills (or, put another way, a longer season might have killed you).

My son hated it when myself or his mom would sit in the bleachers behind home plate when he was pitching.   I was one of those guys who had to stand....so I was always halfway down one of the lines standing along the fence.  Son's summer after his senior year he was pitching in an 18U summer game.  I was there from the start....his mom was running late.  She shows up in the 5th.  He has a perfect game going.  I stop her as she's walking from the parking lot to tell her and "suggest" that she not sit behind home plate.  Well....you know what is next lol.  She did.  He promptly hits the first kid in the helmet....then walks the next kid on 4 pitches.   He gets out of it with no damage....but as he is walking off the field he looks at her and says with a laugh (sort of) "mom, you can leave now"!   One of the funniest memories of his 20-ish years of baseball

My 2022, 8 months off of a small tear in his UCL and intensive rehab, has reentered the arena. He started on a strict pitch count his first few appearances, as he built up his arm and his confidence, but was given the Ok by his doctor to let it fly tomorrow in his league championship game start. The roller coaster for a pitcher's parent is real, but I can't wait to see him pitch tomorrow regardless of the outcome.

@chazball posted:

My 2022, 8 months off of a small tear in his UCL and intensive rehab, has reentered the arena. He started on a strict pitch count his first few appearances, as he built up his arm and his confidence, but was given the Ok by his doctor to let it fly tomorrow in his league championship game start. The roller coaster for a pitcher's parent is real, but I can't wait to see him pitch tomorrow regardless of the outcome.

Never before have I felt the stress more than when I knew Lefty was tired or a little sore going into the game.  I cannot imagine a post injury start.  Thinking of you today Chazball.

I, like RJM and many others here, are on the back side of this. I can remember being EXTREMELY anxious watching my kid pitch. He was always mostly successful. He has always been a strike thrower for the most part. I think you just want your kid to do well. Pitching is tough as there is no place to hide. You start every play. You are standing in the middle of the field on an elevated piece of dirt. Over the years I have gotten better. I still want him to do well every time he takes the ball. The stakes are much higher now as it’s how he earns a living. But I have come to grips with the fact that he is trying his best. Of this I am 100% confident. I wish I had come to grips with that reality years ago. When / If he doesn’t have his best result, I can guarantee you he beats himself up WAY more than you do. I’ve learned to talk baseball only when he leads the conversation. I’m there for moral support and to enjoy watching him do something that I NEVER had the ability to do. When you take that perspective, you realize that there are thousands of people who would trade places with him, whatever level your kid is at. Baseball is hard. The only sport I know of that has 3x failure than success. To all you parents of HS kids, my best advice is to enjoy the experience as best you can. You cannot control what coaches do. The best advice I can give is to tell your kid to worry about the things he can control. In the end, his talent and work ethic will win out. If the ability is there, the opportunity will present itself. That’s when he has to be ready to grab it with both hands and run. Outwork the competition. If baseball isn’t the future, that attitude will pay multiples in the business world.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.