Skip to main content

Hi, HSBaseballWeb.  Just asking for a little helpful advice:

One of our regional PBR scouts was at my son's game last night.  He (my son) threw a complete game and pitched well, especially first time through the lineup, taking a lead into the 6th.  Reading the PBR scout blog on the game, at a certain point it stops and reads, "Now for some notes and video on three players, including two uncommitted 2022s," and you can't read any farther or see vids without a PBR Plus account.  This costs $100, and considering that I'm not 100% sure that my son is even one of the 2022s featured, I honestly just don't know if purchasing a knee-jerk subscription is worth it.

Any thoughts on this?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I would that it'd be worth it for some and not for others.  Is it a homerun of knowledge and information? No.  But for the $10 or whatever it is I pay per month, it's worth it for me.  But I lean towards being a nerd for baseball stuff.  Especially when my son isn't in-season.  I like being to able to go watch and read about peers of my son around our area and in the surrounding states since he's played travel ball.  I try hard to pay as much as I can forward to other parents and players, so I've sometimes used PBR to put together info that I call "comparables."  Johnny's just starting to get into the recruiting world and you want to see how he compares to some others?  That's easy to do.  Your kid can only play 1B and wants to go College X?  Well, then maybe watch some videos of kids who have gotten recruited to that school and played 1B.  Does your kid look anything like that?  What will he be up against?  What is worth working on more?  Things like that.  My son has made some friends and connections over the years with travel ball and it's also cool to check in on some of them and see what their path looks like.  For me, it's just an easy, fun and cheap way to try to stay a little more informed and plugged in.  My son is headed off to college this fall, so I'll be cancelling it sometime soon, but it's served a purpose and scratched a few itches for me.  Your mileage will almost certainly vary.

It's not going to help your kid's baseball career.  I had it when my son was in hs because they covered him quite a bit and I wanted to read and save it.  I still have it because I am a baseball junkie too.  I like to read up on the new tech, kids in the draft mix, keep up with old hs players.  I also reference it and PG when we face college pitchers/players that I don't know anything about. It's a quick reference.  Worth it for me...probably not worth it for someone else.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.