Skip to main content

I'd appreciate the benefit of the Board's collective wisdom on a couple of things please:

1)  My son's travel baseball organization is holding a PBR "scout day" soon. (No games, but will time running, measure pitchers' velocity, etc.)  In general, are PBR's online profiles a resource that college coaches trust / use?  Even as a newbie, I know about PerfectGame.  I have heard of PBR, but really know nothing about them.  Not asking folks to badmouth anyone--just wondering how much value a PBR online profile has beyond being a free way to get a neutral evaluation for my son's own information. 

2)  For less than $100 extra, I can also get video of Chico Jr. at the event.  That's cheap enough that I may just do it anyhow; but I was wondering if there is any practical need for it?  Son is a 2020; 6'0", 185 lbs. and not likely to get much taller; RHP sitting 80 mph and touching 83. I've heard from multiple sources that his off-speed stuff is very good and that he is still raw but with a lot of potential.  I assume no college coaches will be looking at him until the summer after his sophomore year at the earliest?  Any reason to have video from this fall?  Any reason not to?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I will respond regarding the video...

A good video is quite useful to many in the recruiting process, depending (among other things) on your ability to get in front of targeted schools in person.  Putting together a good video is not an easy task.  $100 is cheap.  However, from what I've seen, when you get a video done as part of a group deal, it usually turns out to be sub-par.  Video shots are limited.  I would compare this to getting private instruction vs going to a team practice.  In the team practice (large group) setting, you don't get nearly as much quality attention.  So, with the video, the time isn't taken to make sure there are ample shots from ample angles that will assure that your player is being portrayed in the most positive light possible.  As with anything, I'm sure there are exceptions.  When it's time to do the video, do it right, even if that means compiling shots over time yourself.

You ask...  "Any reason to have video from this fall?  Any reason not to?"

You said he is still raw and coaches won't likely be looking at him until next summer at the earliest, so no reason to have a video now.  A reason not to - If you do get a video, the easy route is often to post it on some social media platform as an easy way to share as needed.  But, the problem is that it can be difficult to completely remove when the time comes (granted, that may have been largely due to our personal technological shortcomings).  Your son may very likely be a far better version of himself a year from now.  You won't want RC's looking at videos of the lesser version.  It is really amazing how much growth and strength occurs from year to year with most players during HS years.

It may, however, be a good time to just start compiling live game clips so you have good material to work with later.

PBR here in Ohio is very good.  Looks like you're in NC, so I can't speak specifically about the PBR program there, as they are run by different people in different states.  The owner of PBR in Ohio is very well connected with college coaches and does a great job of getting coaches to attend their events here.  My son made quite a few contacts from the PBR events he attended....and those were 4 -5 years ago.  PBR has grown a lot since then.  When we attended, they weren't expensive.  As you said, just to get some independent measureables may be worth it.  A 2020 touching 83 is a great start...and will likely garner some interest. 

I cannot answer the video question, I do not know enough about your son, and without seeing him, I still would not have a clue, to tell you if that is worth while.

The Value of PBR really depends on your state and who owns the Franchise. In Ohio it is run by a fellow that does a very good job. As per my sons old college coach it has allowed schools from outside the area to come in and poach guys that he would only have to compete with other local colleges for.

I see you are from NC, so you could ask in the NC forum. Or hopefully other NC guys can speak up. 

http://community.hsbaseballweb...north-carolina-forum

In Ohio PBR does a good job. But you really want to get to the invite only showcases. That is where most of the action seems to come from. 

I can't say about the individual events.  PBR Future Games is one of the most recruited events for uncommitted juniors that is offered.  But it is invite only.  I have asked a few college coaches and it is one of the websites they check, if they check.  But they also said it is not the determining factor.  They do not rely on it but it is a reference.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.