Skip to main content

Our Director of Player Personnel spoke to a college player this week, indicating that if a spot became available on our roster at his position, we'd sign him. The player indicated he received an offer from a team in the Perfect Game League, but the cost was $1500, $750 for the league and $750 for "housing".

I know the Cape Cod League charges an $800 housing fee, and a lot of other leagues have fees..but $1500?????

Our League (Valley) is still a no fee league but we understand there are only a few no-fee leagues left, and there is definitely financial pressure to institute some type of fees. (nothing remotely close to $1500...) The nonprofit leagues are a different world from the "Beer Leagues", the for-profit teams privately owned, that can and do sell alcohol and make serious money at it. They play extensive schedules (up to 70 games), and making a profit is definitely a consideration. The nonprofit leagues (most are members of the NACBL) for the most part work hard to break even every summer.

One rationale espoused in favor of fees is that most high school players that make it to college have played on travel teams costing $2000-$3000 per summer so their parents are "used to it".  Ouch. It was pointed out that baseball scholarships are always partial and those parents now have college expenses.

Our league will be voting on instituting a $200 fee for 2015 and I expect a close vote-nobody truly really likes the idea but with the annual operational expenses running $40,000-$50,000 per team, an additional $5000  is pretty darned helpful. Hardship waivers are part of the proposal.  An awful lot of good people across the country operate summer teams as a  labor of love but for the nonprofits, especially those in small communities, the budgets are getting tighter.  The nice folks at MLB do contribute to many of the nonprofit leagues, which in our case covers the expenses of bats and baseballs, but the amount has pretty much remained unchanged over the past 10-15 years.

But with all of this said....a $1500 fee??? Really???    

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son paid $500 for the Cal Collegiate league and probably most players would pay (and could afford) this. You go above this then you will likely only get players who can afford the fees and not necessarily the best available. I get the Cape since it is the premier league so a player and his family will pay a bit more. 

In the end I am a capitalist and the market will determine what fees can be charged. If you are a draftable player than you will go to the top leagues and if not you will find a place with balance. 

I saw this and could not reply right away.  We do sponsor the League, but the teams are independently owned.  I just didn't know about the player cost so we checked with the League Commissioner.

Not sure where that $1500 number came from.  The only team that charged that last year was Cooperstown and they have dropped out.  No one is charging that much this year that I've been told about.

I think some teams do charge a housing fee.

As I parent, I loved the notion of summer collegiate leagues. However, after seeing them up close over a period of more than I decade, I would say that after a full college season there is a lot to be said for taking the summer off. Beyond a token amount, fees are just not worth it since college baseball is essentially year-round baseball otherwise. Even Cape Cod is far more romanticized than the reality.

Originally Posted by jemaz:

As I parent, I loved the notion of summer collegiate leagues. However, after seeing them up close over a period of more than I decade, I would say that after a full college season there is a lot to be said for taking the summer off. Beyond a token amount, fees are just not worth it since college baseball is essentially year-round baseball otherwise. Even Cape Cod is far more romanticized than the reality.

jemaz,

That's an interesting take.I know a few players who have opted to play this summer in local summer leagues here in SoCal & PHX at night,while doing internships during the day.For some players this may be the best of both worlds.

I know this is an old thread but with teams starting to look for players again I thought I would bump it up.

My son has played in the Great Lakes and the Valley league. For the Great Lakes league he paid a fee, but I believe that fee is not set by the league but by the teams need. The year before the team had no fee but they had a benefactor who gave a very large sum of money to the team every summer. At the end of the season the money was donated to the United Way. He passed away and the team now has to charge players to stay in business. 

This year in the Valley league there was no charge. 

Both teams were a great experience.

My son played one summer in the Cal Ripken League (Maryland/DC/VA) and two summers in the Florida Collegiate League. The Ripken League was $100, and host families were free. He didn't need one, but I was in charge of the host family program for one of the teams for years, and we hosted many, many players. Florida Collegiate was $600 and a $50 a week charge for host families. Ironically, my son opted to live with my parents an hour away from his team rather than a host family. I thought he had enjoyed all those years we hosted, but maybe not. I  imagine a host family that gets rent provides a different experience than those who host for free. I had always emphasized the "player as a member of your family" attitude, but perhaps those paying felt more free to come and go as they pleased. I don't have a problem with a player paying a fee to pay -- after all, the league has to rent the field, pay the umps, etc. -- but it is puzzling how the fees can be so different one league to another. In any case, we had a fantastic experience with Florida and it was worth every penny.

I just talked to a friend who's son was approached by two teams in the NYCBL. One team was $3000 to play and the other was $1600 to play. 

So fees are effeminately moving up.  The NYCBL is supposed to be non-profit, so I hope no-one is making money off this. The more expensive team has not been aorund too long so I am not sure if they have many host families or if they are putting kids up in Hotels. 

That makes the Valley and The Great Lakes leagues very good values. The team my son played on in the Great Lakes was 600, and the Valley was no cost. 

As far as I know there is no charge to play in the Prospect league.

My son has played there in parts of the last two summers, I never had to write any checks.

Tell your son to get ready for serious bus time. I think the Prospect league eliminated the two divisions.  Teams spread out from ILL./Ind.., ohio  to PA. & west Virginia.

housing for the team my son played on was all free to the players, they had host families.  My son was fortunate that there is a team in our hometown. He was able to sleep in his own bed.  My next door neighbor has been a host family for the last 3-4 years, they usually host 2 kids.. The host family receives free season tickets,

I tried to get free tickets when my son was playing but I guess NCAA will not allow that. My son is heading to NECBL this summer, no charge for that league that I know of  and also no charge for the host family.

The local prospect league team has a boosters club that tries to feed the boys at least once a week after games, a local restaurant donates a box lunch to the visiting team, they eat that on the way home.

I think when my son traveled the team gave them $10-15 a day for meal money. Usually the motel they stayed at had breakfast, so it wasn't to bad.

Last season they played 6 days a week, Mondays were off days. 

keewartson will be playing in the Hamptons Collegiate Baseball league this coming summer.  Newer league, 7 teams not too spread out, $500 fee, and will get a host family. I think if you don't have a car they will provide bus transportation.  Plus, it's a resort area (that I am looking forward to visiting .

Heading north to play baseball in the summer will be a (welcome?) change.  

Originally Posted by keewart:

keewartson will be playing in the Hamptons Collegiate Baseball league this coming summer.  Newer league, 7 teams not too spread out, $500 fee, and will get a host family. I think if you don't have a car they will provide bus transportation.  Plus, it's a resort area (that I am looking forward to visiting&nbsp.

Heading north to play baseball in the summer will be a (welcome?) change.  

My son played in the Hampton's in 2011 for the Southampton team. His host family lived in a house out of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" (swimming pool, workout room, basketball, and tennis courts). They even insisted I stay in their cottage house when i visited.  Travel is relatively easy compared to some of the other leagues, buses were provided from the home field to the away games with nothing being more then 45 minutes away.

I would say not having a car is not a big deal. My son did not have one for part of the summer, but the other guys would get him to where he had to go. His host family provided meals and local volunteers always cooked or provided meals after the games. 

The competition was good. I would call the league a stepping stone to some of the better, more well known leagues. Definitely more then a few guys throwing in 90's and several off his team in 2011 were drafted.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.