Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Info is always supplied to the scouts and recruiters but I usually only go to see kids that are already on my PSA list. So if the kids don't call, text or email the Coach letting them know what camps and showcases they are attending then us coaches may not attend. The reality is unless we are going to look at specific players the rest are pretty much overlooked unless they have an outstanding day. That's why it's important for the recruits to introduce themselves to the coaches. When at a tournament or showcase I have a tendency to watch the players that make an effort to know who I am or at least what school we are from.

Thank you for sharing that detail. I remind my son and his friends it is a bad strategy to go to these events with the expectation you will be "discovered". Just because they do not reply is not always an indication of they will not attend.  Also if they are coming to see a teammate who is committed then it is even more urgent to reach and introduce them selves.

Exactly. As a Coach we all know the top 10% of the kids attending a showcase, tournament or camp. It's that next 10% that may fall through the cracks. I've been fooled by kids that can "showcase" but they turn out not to be the grinders or the gamers. The grinders will always do something unexpected to be noticed and it doesn't always equate to ability.

@Ozone posted:

That's why it's important for the recruits to introduce themselves to the coaches. When at a tournament or showcase I have a tendency to watch the players that make an effort to know who I am or at least what school we are from.

I'm trying to learn all I can about the recruitment process. Are you referring to showcases or tournaments as far as the player talking to the attending coaches one-on-one? I know this will show my ignorance, but if we're talking about tournaments, how will my son know who to walk up to and introduce himself?

Schools require coaches to wear their gear. So it's pretty easy to identify us and what schools we represent. And the introduction doesn't need to be elaborate, just a simple "good morning coach, I'm Joe Smith and I'll be pitching in game one on field 6. I really like your program and I hope you can give me some feedback after the game / showcase."

@Ozone posted:

Schools require coaches to wear their gear. So it's pretty easy to identify us and what schools we represent. And the introduction doesn't need to be elaborate, just a simple "good morning coach, I'm Joe Smith and I'll be pitching in game one on field 6. I really like your program and I hope you can give me some feedback after the game / showcase."

Players may not know the difference between divisions.

@johnlanza posted:

I'm trying to learn all I can about the recruitment process. Are you referring to showcases or tournaments as far as the player talking to the attending coaches one-on-one? I know this will show my ignorance, but if we're talking about tournaments, how will my son know who to walk up to and introduce himself?

Coaches will approach the players coach if interested.

I can't speak for everyone's program but in my world it happens very often. Since I'm a D3 Coach and a pro scout I've become friends with a bunch of D1 coaches trying to get their players into pro ball. So when they run into a kid with talent and work ethic but they don't have what it takes for a D1 program they pass that info down to me. And in turn if I think that player would fit better in another program I pass that info on to other coaches. That's why a kid should never, ever burn his bridges.

The best advice I ever heard in the workplace was you never know who your future boss might be, so treat everyone accordingly. We drilled the same mantra into my son — if you want to work in baseball someday, in any capacity, remember that every coach you talk to at any level may someday be hiring. Treat them accordingly.

True story: In a recent tournament, I saw my son talking to the opposing HC after the game. When I asked my son about it afterwards, he said that the coach is also a college coach and wanted to know if he was committed.  And, when my son told him where he was committed to, the HC said he was friends with his future college coach and he was going to text him about how well my son played in the game.

People are everywhere and you never know who knows who.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.