Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Unfortunately that's the same for us.
We were all gung-ho, ready for it, but ended up going to Jupiter instead. He just started throwing again today and in no way could he be ready.
It was a tough decision, PG puts on a first class program.

We are in the same mode--been resting the arm, but working out the rest of the body. Just got off the phone a few minutes ago and declined. Also had a call right after from BB Prospects of America for a Jan 3rd "camp" at Seminole CC in Lk Mary, Fl which would be real convenient but don't see the point. HS starts last week in Jan
and are looking forward to the senior year.

Moc1
It is still hard for me to understand why anyone would pay the money to have a bunch of people ( WHO MAY OR NOT BE QUALIFIED)look at you son and tell you what level he can play at. It just amazes me. The experience might be fine and fun for you son - but how does help your son get recruitered by a college. Am I missing the boat?
quote:
Originally posted by Pug:
It is still hard for me to understand why anyone would pay the money to have a bunch of people ( WHO MAY OR NOT BE QUALIFIED)look at you son and tell you what level he can play at. It just amazes me. The experience might be fine and fun for you son - but how does help your son get recruitered by a college. Am I missing the boat?

Yes ... to a degree.

The operative phrase in your statement was (WHO MAY NOT BE QUALIFIED). The people at PG, without a doubt are highly qualified. They are the best in the business.

Many colleges rely on PG and the information they give to Baseball America and furnish to colleges/universities through Prospects Plus. Since PG sees all of the top players, they have the best handle on ratings/depth of classes in each state.

The problem is the new changes to recruiting with the Quiet Periods and Dead Periods. These, for the first time, are hurting the traditional January Showcase events.

Without the changes in the recruiting rules, the Underclassman Showcase and the Ft. Myers event would have attracted almost half of the top underclassmen in the country to compete.

The nature of college recruiting has changed over the past decade. In the old days, college recruiters would drive to legion games and catch a player. Then drive to another the next night. They spent most of their time on the road and saw very few prospects. The costs were high and the effectiveness was low. Showcases were developed as a method of getting all of the players at a central location to control costs. It's attractive to colleges as a cost savings.

As the number of showcases has "exploded", colleges are becoming very selective in which showcases to attend. In particular, the D1, Top-40 schools will only attend the big events. They are out in force at all of the PG events.

PG may have to reschedule some of their events based on the changes in the recruiting rules, but, the information that they gather is still available to colleges, even if they didn't attend.

Does PG do a better job evaluating players than the pro's? Most of PG's staff are ex-pro scouts. It's not that they do a better job. They do a good job and make the information available to colleges/universities. When a pro team scouts a player, they keep the information strictly to themselves. PG isn't about the draft only. It's about identifying the best HS players.
Last edited {1}
Fabulous experience! While the DI coaches may have been missing, we know for a fact that they had "eyes" in attendance who will report back to them. Some smaller college had coaches in attendance.
There were reportedly over 100 MLB scouts/staff/GMs in attendance. You might think--how does this help me if I am looking to showcase for college coaches? Think about it. Why do you think that on nearly every college baseball questionaire that you fill out, they always have a section to complete for what pro scouts know you or have seen you play? College coaches speak to these guys!
Also another bonus was the fact that only two games were scheduled per session. This allowed the large number of scouts to see everyone, since they did not need to cover a large number fields like at the Jupiter event in October. It was definitely an experience that should not be passed up if invited. Unbelievable pool of talent in one location!! Definitely some names that will come up as possible "legends" down the road!
Pug..you obviously, from this post and others , have an issue with credibility. On another post (identify your sons)I think there are 200+ people that have already posted as to the credibility and stature of PG for one. More than likely a majority of them have attended T1, College Select, Midwest Prospects also, to name a few.

Reputations are built and credibility is earned. Those that have attended and paid are the ONLY ones that can assess and critique there worthiness. You can have a biased and/or unfounded opinion, since you have no experience, and that is your right, but without experience and having went through the process of the event, it falls on deaf ears as you have noticed.

Take your son to 1 of the above mentioned events, make your assessment, ask his, ask alot of questions which is very much accepted and then state your case. We will, or I will then have an intelligent conversation about your experiences. However, I have not met or talked to 1 person whose son did not have a memorable experience as long as they were is playing shape, and were objective looking for an experienced opinion that was not attached to the player.

I didn't want this to be a documentary for Showcases, but I could continue to make my point knowing that many more would agree than disagree.

Good luck to your son.

"If you can imagine it you can create it. If you can dream it, you can become it". William Arthur Ward

"Baseball is Life"

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.