Skip to main content

I read something interesting the other day and wonder what your thoughts are.

We can probably all agree that performance enhancing drugs, such as steroids, HGH, etc., are a form of cheating.

What about performance enhancing elective surgery? If a pitcher elects to have Tommy John surgery even though it is not needed, or if a batter chooses LASIK to change his vision from 20/20 to something better, is that cheating? I've heard that there are players who have actually done these things. Should bionics be banned? Are they already?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My first response is...if the surgery is necessary for a person to lead a “normal” life then I approve, if it is just an enhancement procedure then I disapprove...but... I'll be quick to point out that we all have differing opinions as to what “normal” is. Two years ago I had three surgeries on my hands; two carpal tunnel operations and four trigger finger operations. Those operations allow me to do many things I couldn’t do before. I’m glad I had the operations. There are people that have gastric bypass, liposuction, face lifts, and silicone implants, all for what many would consider frivolous reasons...but it allows them to do things they couldn’t do before. Body piercing is quite common and that is also a simple surgery that allows the recipient to adorn their body with ornate objects and other things too (or so I'm told). What about tattoos? I personally don’t care for tattoos but I will also admit they are a simple form of “enhancing” surgery? To each his own.
Fungo
Last edited by Fungo
As someone who has had successful LASIK surgery, I think the overall improvement in quality of life outweighs the side effect of possibly seeing the ball better.

I was -750 in both eyes with severe astigmatism and now have 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other with almost no astigmatism left.

Having to deal with glasses and/or contacts in an everyday active lifestyle is a huge hassle.

My boys also wear contacts for normal life, and have constant problems with the dust on the baseball field with the contacts.

If they were to continue to seriously play baseball after they turn 18 and were eligible for the surgery, I would probably OK it.

However, for someone who is already 20/20 and doesn't need it for everyday life, I personally wouldn't take the risk (however low that may be)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.