Skip to main content

I see the "follow" list starting to get populated for the 2020's in PG's system (from my "free" view). It looks like every kid's picture has them in a PG (showcase?) jersey.  Some of the metrics are really low for what I saw in the WWBA.  I assume this is the beginnings of putting the database together? Can someone who has a son a little older tell us how it works?  Do you have to go to a showcase to get into the rankings database?

Also, from looking at other years, it appears there are kids ranked 1-100, top 1000, 1500 high follows and 1500 follows for a total of 4000 kids in a class that are "ranked"?

PG, can you explain what the follows are?

I know it has to start somewhere, and will take a couple years to sort out as the kids grow/get scouted etc.

Just trying to understand.

Thanks!

"A mind, once expanded, never returns to it's original shape."

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If your son attended a PG tournament, or if PG has seen your son at some event, chances are, he will receive some kind of ranking and will have a profile on the PG website.  The more PG sees them, the more accurate those rankings will be.  In order to get a grade and usually, a picture on the profile page, you must attend an individual showcase.  Ranking and grades are completely different.  

And from what I remember, there are likely more than just 4,000 ranked.  You will notice that once you get past the top 100, there will be many players that are "tied".  In other words, there may be 100 kids listed as ranked 500.  There may be 500 kids ranked 1000.  Hope this helps...

Not sure how 2020 looks.  While we have several players ranked internally, I didn't realize it was published anywhere.

Rankings change a lot over a year or more.  We see many players multiple times and we see a very large number of new players every year.  In the end the senior and junior class works this way....

Top 500, ranked in order 1-499, then there could be many that are ranked 500.  This is because there are more than 500 players that belong in that grouping.

Top,1,000, This is simply all the players that we feel could reach top 500 in the near future.  It could actually be any number of players other than exactly 1,000.

High follow, is the next ranking, it can be any number of players that we feel have the ability to reach top 1,000 or even top 500. We have had cases where a high follow one year became a top 10-20 the next year.

Follow, means the player has enough potential to follow his progress. Again this can be any number of players.  We have also had follows in the past who have jumped into the top 100 or higher.

Then there are all the others that we have seen and not seen.  Often people get frustrated when their player moves lower in the rankings.  It doesn't mean we think less of that player at all.  It happens because each year, each month, we keep seeing players for the first time or the second time. Every time we see a player that we think is a definite top 100, every player from that spot on moves down a number.  If we were to see 30 such players it could move someone down 30 spots.  So technically the player moving down just represents a much larger pool.  This happens up until the player's draft eligible class (senior).  At that point the pool pretty much includes 90% or so, of all draft eligible players.

In all the years we have ranked players, only twice was the same player ranked #1 for three consecutive years.  Justin Upton and Bryce Harper.

So if there are rankings of the 2020 class out there, there is one thing you can count on.  They are going to change a lot over the next few years. Our goal is to be as accurate as possible with the 2020 class in 2019.  Everything before that just helps us get there.

Hope that kind of explains it.

PG if you are still on this one...  Wondering how you find these kids.  Many good 2020's at this point have NOT been to a PG event I presume. I know I had forwarded info on one from our area. He is now throwing 86 at 14.  But that I know if he has not been to any PG events. Must be extremely difficult to gather Intel on these young kids. Will be very fun though following the kids we have come to know over the years.  wI'll be cool for son to be able to say hey I played against/with that guy! 

2020dad posted:

PG if you are still on this one...  Wondering how you find these kids.  Many good 2020's at this point have NOT been to a PG event I presume. I know I had forwarded info on one from our area. He is now throwing 86 at 14.  But that I know if he has not been to any PG events. Must be extremely difficult to gather Intel on these young kids. Will be very fun though following the kids we have come to know over the years.  wI'll be cool for son to be able to say hey I played against/with that guy! 

Wait... You sent scouting reports to PG?  

bballdad2016 posted:
2020dad posted:

Perhaps you haven't seen the link on the PG website "Know a prospect? Make a recommendation"?

https://www.perfectgame.org/re...Default.aspx?id=2941

Go44dad posted:
bballdad2016 posted:
2020dad posted:

Perhaps you haven't seen the link on the PG website "Know a prospect? Make a recommendation"?

I've seen it.  That's the same link to create a player profile.

Go44dad posted:

I see the "follow" list starting to get populated for the 2020's in PG's system (from my "free" view). It looks like every kid's picture has them in a PG (showcase?) jersey.  Some of the metrics are really low for what I saw in the WWBA.  I assume this is the beginnings of putting the database together? Can someone who has a son a little older tell us how it works?  Do you have to go to a showcase to get into the rankings database?

Also, from looking at other years, it appears there are kids ranked 1-100, top 1000, 1500 high follows and 1500 follows for a total of 4000 kids in a class that are "ranked"?

PG, can you explain what the follows are?

I know it has to start somewhere, and will take a couple years to sort out as the kids grow/get scouted etc.

Just trying to understand.

Thanks!

Where do you see the 2020s? I only see 2019 and older in the rankings portal, but I might be looking on the wrong place.

bballdad2016 posted:
Go44dad posted:
bballdad2016 posted:
2020dad posted:

I've seen it.  That's the same link to create a player profile.

It says "Recommend Prospect" at the top.  Maybe some of the fields are the same as player profile.  PG wants recommendations, as it is their business.

I'm not sure if we are arguing or not, but no worries either way.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.