Skip to main content

There's the PG rankings, Area Code Games, AFLAC All American, Baseball Factory, Under Amour All American, Bobby Valentine All American and others I am sure I did not list or do not know of......Is there a comprehensive list of ranking (governing bodies) entities for HS baseball. My son has been ranked a 7.5 by PG, ranked much higher by Baseball Factory and got invited to a Invitional Event by the Texas Rangers before his Junior year in HS. How do you make sense of it all?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My best advice is to have your son go out and play his best and don't worry about the rankings. Most people who count know who the best players are without the rankings, and many people doing rankings of one kind or another really don't have much of a clue.

A Perfect Game grade, by the way, is very different than the Perfect Game rankings, which after perhaps the first 20 guys are more of a **** shoot than anything else (and I would say that is true of nearly every ranking list out there). Look at the June draft and then for fun compare it to the Baseball America or Perfect Game rankings. I think you will be amazed by what you find, especially as you get further down the lists.
You don't - don't worry about it. Keep him working hard and being seen and let the college coaches sort it out.

BTW the free ones are the events that matter the most. IMO they are: 1. AFLAC, 2. Area Code 3. USA Baseball team invites. The rest are basically organizations profiting on your desire to have your son seen. Some more reputable than others of course.
Every June we look closely and compare our list to the draft. Then we check again in future years. Here is an example from the 2002 list.

A look back at 2002 rankings

We certainly don't look at it as **** shoot and neither do many others.

There's really only one list. It is the first list. Each year, all other lists contain pretty much the same names just moving them around somewhat. Those who follow these things know that. College coaches know that!

That said, it is good advice not to worry about such lists. It won't do you any good at all. No list is perfect.
Don't worry about the rankings/grades. Just keep working as hard as possible, improve every season, seek out the best competition, get in front of scouts, and never give up. Good things will happen no matter what your grade/ranking is.

Initial high rankings/grades do get initial looks but all that really matters is if you can play.
If a scout said "Your son looks to be a mid-round draft pick potential and a solid D1 prospect." would you be offended?

That is basically what a PG rating of 7.5 is. It does not look like a great score, but unless you feel you should be a high draft pick, it is a pretty good score.

Wouldn't a 7.5 with a lot of up-side be a lot better than an 8.5 at top potential?
Hope we did not imply we are "unpleased" with the ranking/grade; more looking for relevance and experiences from others. He was a 7.5 at PG, 4 at Baseball Factory and all with good things to say about his skills. For first timers in the recruiting scene, we are trying to learn and manage our (and his expectations). Thanks for all the feedback
What is a 51 from the MLB scouting bureau how would that compare to a PG ranking ? My son only attended one PG event tourney when he was 16 so no real ranking , just top 1000. He has attended a few workouts w scouts , pre draft stuff , east coast etc... No charge events. I think PG is a great business and they have helped a lot of players get attention. So how come everyone uses different numbers . Would it make better sense to use a standard ranking system ?
51 is probably like a 9 or 9.5/10 in Pg terms; there are some other posts that expain in more detail. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder though.... Pro scouts average out grades out of 10 for arm, fielding, sped, hitting and power. Hitting and power may be weighed heavier in the computation. 50 is mlb average, so a 51 means that in someones eyes, they would basically be able to step into the mlb. Probably draftable in the 25th round and lower?

Nice work!
Rememeber that Bureau grades are one individual scouts opinion. Players that are seen twice or more by different bureau scouts could grade out much differently from one time to the next. Of course they are being evaluated on different days as well. Could be a 60 by one bureau scout and a 48 by another on a different day. Same as a PG 7 could be a PG 9 on a different day.

That said 51 is very good and would be at least a 9 or even possibly a 10 by PG. IF we used a 2-8 or 20-80 MLB scale and graded someone a 51, it would be similar to a 10 PG grade. There just aren't that many high school kids with slightly better than average MLB tools overall. A 51, if correct, would be an early round prospect!

Also, keep in mind that two different scouts can watch the same player and form a different opinion. It's not all that unusual to have one club draft a player in round 10 to 20 while another club didn't even have that same player turned in for the draft, at all.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.