Skip to main content

From everything I've read on this site it sounds like, for many, attending a PG Showcase has been a very important part of achieving the goal of playing baseball in college.  I am trying to determine the best PG showcase for my 2016 Catcher to attend. 

Questions I have:  1) will it matter much whether son (2016 graduate) does the winter (Dec 14 or Jan 15) showcase or a 2015 summer showcase?

2) Being in Maryland, the NJ or NC events I've seen listed on previous years would certainly be more convenient, but I don't want to make a key decision like this based on convenience alone.  Florida has events too. NJ ("Northeast indoor") is in January if the schedule is similar to the last 2 years, and NC (Atlantic coast underclass) would be in mid August. Florida has both options for "National underclass".

3) I'm assuming the underclass showcase is the one to go for based on the FAQ on PG site but if you know otherwise please let me know.

Any thoughts on whether some are better options or should any of these work okay?  Does anyone have experience with the NJ indoor showcase?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on these questions.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Learning, going to a showcase is different for each player.  We used the showcase to first get a baseline measure and then measure son against other players.  My son attended his first PG showcase (Ft Myers, FL) in June just after he finished his sophomore year in high school.  Our main goal at that time was to get some measurable from an independent source.  My son was coming off an elbow injury the previous fall, so we had no idea how hard he threw and where he stacked up to others.  He performed pretty well in that showcase.  Had the second highest OF velo, mid 80's from mound, but a pretty slow 60.  He took that information and realized he needed to get faster.  The arm strength has always been there to the naked eye, but had never had it measured.  He went to work on his speed and continued to do the same thing he had been doing with his arm strength.  He did go to 2 additional PG showcases, another one in the fall of that year that was local and then the PG National Underclass (Ft Myers) with his travel team.  Again, each of these showcases were for a completely different reason.  The second one was to measure his progress from the first and the National was to compete against some of the best kids in his class.  I'm sure others have done things completely different with equally effective results.  This is just one kid's journey.  We didn't really feel like another showcase was needed after that time.  We spent the rest of our energy playing against the best competition on the best travel team.  The showcase did help us start to narrow down the level of competition that we felt we should target for college.  While there are no hard and fast rules, I would tell someone if they get a 7 or 8 PG grade as a junior in high school, don't spend a lot of time and energy chasing the top 20 D1 type programs.  Maybe I should not have even put in that last sentence.  I am not trying to judge anyone.  If you take some time to research committed recruits and go back and see where PG had them graded you will understand my comment.   

Not that I am at ALL knowledgeable about this but...my son plays for a lower aged East Cobb team, so I hear things.  Most of the East Cobb elite players go to Florida to show off their stuff.  Specifically the "National Underclass Showcase Main Event" held at the Jet Blue Player Development Complex.  That's where I plan on taking my kid when he is old enough to show something.

Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:

Not that I am at ALL knowledgeable about this but...my son plays for a lower aged East Cobb team, so I hear things.  Most of the East Cobb elite players go to Florida to show off their stuff.  Specifically the "National Underclass Showcase Main Event" held at the Jet Blue Player Development Complex.  That's where I plan on taking my kid when he is old enough to show something.

My 2017 will be attending the underclass showcase in Fort Myers in January.  It will be his first Perfect Game showcase.   (He played in a PG tournament this summer).   And I am hoping it gives us a good idea of where he stands and what he needs to improve.   

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.