Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you're playing at LakePoint there's a good chance there will be hundreds spread across the complex, (from just about EVERY conference in the country) at every part of the day... Depending on the depth of talent of the teams playing could determine how many coaches are at each particular game. Hopefully the organization you're going with has a reputation of getting kids committed, because that could possibly outweigh depth of overall team talent... Coaches do travel to the High Schools around the Atlanta area during this tournament if they're interested in players... 

Good luck!

Last edited by Bolts-Coach-PR

The honest answer is that there are 100s of coaches there but there is no way to guarantee who will be at each game.  When my 2016 played there 2 summers ago we saw less coaches at our Lakepoint game than we did at several of our offsite games (there were lots of them at every site we played though).  When he pitched at an offsite HS there were about 12-15 coaches there from Fla St, Duke, MD, VA, etc, etc.  They were there to see the left handed pitcher and the catcher from the other team.  

pnw2017 posted:

Not 100 percent going yet, but the team I would play for had about 90 percent d1 commits last year and their second team had 60 percent. I'm assuming more colleges attend the lake point games than outside fields.

Most of these coaches are working from a list of players. They're moving from field to field to see the guys on their list. They don't have much time for just watching games and looking for undiscovered talent. If you go, you'll want your name known to schools that might be a good fit for you. That can happen through your coach, or through your own contact with coaches before going. There are plenty of schools from the west coast, but more are from the south, midwest and east coast. Hopefully, you've already started putting together a list of schools that you're interested in. Call coaches from those schools to find out if they'll be going to the 17U WWBA this summer. Good luck.

I agree with BDS - discuss with your coach and make sure they are working off the same list as you are and that he is contacting those schools.  But you should also be contacting them.  There are lots of threads here for you to look at to get an overview of what to do, how to contact, etc so it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to re-list here.  There is a current thread open on cold calling coaches that you could look at with a lot of good advice on calling coaches.  

As a 2017 you are heading into the prime recruiting season for most HS players (meaning not the studs that commit early) - the season between Jr. and Sr. year.  You should have a list of target schools, should email them, fill out their online recruit forms, send them your schedule, etc.  Even call them as outlined in the other thread.  And then do that in tandem with your coach as you head to events where you know some of those schools might be in attendance.  And I would specifically do that prior to heading across the country to GA so you can get max bang for your cross country travel buck so to speak.  

pnw2017 posted:

Makes sense. An rc from an east coast d1 told me it would be great to see me there, that they send 3 coaches to that event. He first saw me in az. He is recommending me to a team that goes, and the coach who runs it is also a rc at a d1 east coast, so he probably knows many of the eastern d1s.

Sounds like a great start. Since the one RC knows you, I would send him a brief email with your number and a date/time that you plan to call him. That way he can put your name in his phone and know to pick up when you call. You can call him as often as you like, but he can't call you until July 1.

Get to know the summer coach. He can act as a go-between. He can call/text you and say, "Call coach Smith right now, he's expecting your call."

NTGson played WWBA as 14U, 15U, 16U and 17U. The growth in coaches in attendance grew exponentially as each year came and went. For younger players, the experience is invaluable: quality opponents, now great fields (East Cobb was nice, but nowhere near the quality venue Lake Point is), very good officiating and thrilling competition. If you play in the 16 or 17U WWBA, you must have done your homework as other posters have suggested. The schools in which you are interested have to know of your interest in their school and program, your profile, your basic statistics including academic standing, and your team's schedule. There is no other 17U tournament as well-attended as the 17UWWBA. Those coaches for whom you may fill a need will inevitably show up at your team's games. NTGson's coaches broadcast the pitching rotation and lineup for each game to their lists of more than 100 schools in which their team's players had expressed interest. In some instances, they changed the lineup because a specific school wished to see a certain player on the field or on the mound. The 17U WWBA tournament field brought more than 8,000 players to Atlanta. The sheer number of athletes at the event makes it darn near impossible for one player to be noticed without having done the necessary prep work. Unless, of course, he's throwing at 93+ or hitting bombs over the fences every 3rd or 4th at bat.

MidAtlanticDad posted:
pnw2017 posted:

Makes sense. An rc from an east coast d1 told me it would be great to see me there, that they send 3 coaches to that event. He first saw me in az. He is recommending me to a team that goes, and the coach who runs it is also a rc at a d1 east coast, so he probably knows many of the eastern d1s.

Sounds like a great start. Since the one RC knows you, I would send him a brief email with your number and a date/time that you plan to call him. That way he can put your name in his phone and know to pick up when you call. You can call him as often as you like, but he can't call you until July 1.

Get to know the summer coach. He can act as a go-between. He can call/text you and say, "Call coach Smith right now, he's expecting your call."

Thanks, we have been communicating over the phone and text last few weeks. I am 2017, so I am able to receive texts and calls from him. Since I don't know if I will be able to go with the team yet, I can't contact the coach. I wonder how it sounds though, saying to a d1 hey call these other d1 coaches for me.

c2019 posted:

hrrm what about 15u ? at lake point

We did WWBA 15U the summer before son's Junior year. Son showed out and it lead to Sept 1 contacts from two major D1 programs (one East Coast and one West Coast). We didn't see coaches from either school there, but they clearly had eyes there because we had not contacted either prior to the tournament.

"I wonder how it sounds though, saying to a d1 hey call these other d1 coaches for me."

You wouldn't have one of the D1 coaches you're in contact with calling other coaches - you'd have the D1 coaches you are contacting call your summer travel team coach to let them know when you should call them directly so they can pick up.  The summer coach is the go between - he should be helping you get in front of D1 coaches and also helping you communicate with them up until July 1 when things free up and they can call you directly.  

MKbaseballdad posted:

"I wonder how it sounds though, saying to a d1 hey call these other d1 coaches for me."

You wouldn't have one of the D1 coaches you're in contact with calling other coaches - you'd have the D1 coaches you are contacting call your summer travel team coach to let them know when you should call them directly so they can pick up.  The summer coach is the go between - he should be helping you get in front of D1 coaches and also helping you communicate with them up until July 1 when things free up and they can call you directly.  

The summer team coach is a d1 rc. And they can call me now too.

MKbaseballdad posted:

I think PNW's issue is that his potential WWBA coach is the RC for a DI team. I don't have any experience with a situation like that. He probably needs to have a candid conversation with this coach about how he's done this with other recruits. 

Sorry, I missed that part.  I just re-read that part.  Yes, that is tricky.  My 2016's summer team (last two seasons) was coached by a D1 assistant coach.  He was hands on and in regular contact with coaches on behalf of players but that was really during the summer season - not during the college season when he was coaching.  

From above, in general, it looks like 15U WWBA is a bit on the early side and 17U WWBA is a "must do" event. Doing a search here, the 16U WWBA was described closer to the 15U...but that post was years ago, so I don't know how accurate it is to today's environment. 

Can anyone speak more on the 16U WWBA? (i.e. What types and how many colleges tend to be at the 16U vs. the 17U? Is it more of a "must do" event for a certain level player but not for others?)

Thank you!

RoyalRooter posted:

Can anyone speak more on the 16U WWBA? (i.e. What types and how many colleges tend to be at the 16U vs. the 17U? Is it more of a "must do" event for a certain level player but not for others?)

I feel, for a D-1 or D-2 prospective player the 16u WWBA is just probably as important, or even more so than the 17u these days... I can tell you, our 16u finished in the final-four, and at one game at LakePoint, we literally had hundreds of scouts and college coaches watching our guys... There was probably 1000 +/- people watching our game that night!  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.