Skip to main content

Unless I read the bracket wrong, it looks like there are 4 teams left, Firebirds, DBAT, AA Prospects, and Renegades -- all but the FB have one loss. DBAT vs AA Prospects due to natural pairings -- FB vs Renegades. Renegades must beat FB for DBAT (if they beat AAP) to reeive a bye into the Championship. If DBAT and FB win -- DBAT must sweep a DH tomorrow. Yawnnnnnnn Wink

Go DBAT! Cool
Last edited by Panther Dad
DBAT defeated 5 - 4 by AA prospects. Good Luck to AA Prospects and the Renegades in defeating the Firebirds. It was a good run for the DBAT - Greer defeating the AA Prospects, Trombly, Tigers, Renegades and then playing the Firebirds and loosing a heartbreaker to the AA Prospects after leading early in the game. It was an excellent experience for this team and will prepare them for the CM State Playoffs which will be tough as well. Also, congrats to the Marshals as both organizations represented Texas well.
Last edited by SWAC
This is an email that I sent today. I would ask anyone else that has been involved to please follow up.

Mr. Neely and Mr. Diamond,

My name is Cade Griffis and I am the owner of D-BAT, Inc. This is the first email I have written of its kind in 10 years of being in business. My only regret is I did not write this email last year after our experience last year at the Arizona AABC World Series Qualifier.

I am copying Sam Carpenter, Richard Holt and many others on this email. Although Sam, Richard and I may not see eye to eye on everything I believe they will tell you that I am not a complainer nor am I dishonest. I am one of the biggest believers in AABC. I believe it is the only true thing left in select baseball. I am a believer that when you lose the season should be over; I believe you should win your way to the big dance. You should not buy yourself a world series. I have 3 teams ever year 16, 17, and 18. All of my teams play AABC no questions asked. I was disappointed a few years ago to hear that AABC were doing regional and World Series qualifiers. Saying that I felt forced to go spend the money to play in the qualifiers. Even though I do not believe in them I could not afford to not give my teams the opportunity to go to the big dance.

I played in Farmington in 1993 with the Burkburnett Black Sox; my teams have made the Mickey Mantle World Series and or Connie Mack World Series 4 times in the past 4 years. I have seen the great things that AABC has to offer and you guys do a great job.

My teams have gone to the Arizona W.S Qualifier the past two years and both years it has been a total nightmare. Ron Forbes has vocally said and I quote “This is my tournament and I will fix it the way I want”. This quote was heard by 3 different people one being Ryan Brewer the owner of Albuquerque Baseball Academy. (I am also copying him on this email). Last year I had my 17 and 18 year old teams in the same tournament and as my 18 year old manager watched as he was in an argument with another coach he turned and said “What are you looking at fat a**” (I am also copying him on this email). The manger of my 17 year old team asked him why he switched the game time after the bracket was posted and he said “If you don’t like it don’t come back”.

This leads me to my conclusion. This is actually what he wants. He does not want anyone to come back so he can run the table and experience Farmington year after year. He has told 3 people from 3 different teams and from 3 different states “If you don’t like it don’t come back”. The experience was so bad last year I decided to send one team to Arizona and one to N.Y. instead of both teams going to Arizona.

Rusty Greer who coaches my 17-year-old team called my on Thursday and asked me to look at the brackets. Mr. Forbes completely stacked the bracket to his favor. I know this is a bold allegation but I beg you to look into this. He even said and I quote “This is my tournament and I will stack it the way I want”. Last year when questioned about the same thing he told our head coach that the brackets where picked by a closed meeting that no coaches were invited. This year’s bracket included all the Dallas teams, Trombly, All American Prospects, and the Florida Renegades in one bracket. The other bracket had the Arizona Firebirds, 2 Albuquerque teams, and Rocky Mountain. I also ask you to look at the byes that were given out. I ask you to please look at the brackets from both years and tell me that this is the way AABC does things.

I would like to make a few a few suggestions:

1. I believe something of this great importance should have an official from AABC fly down and oversee the tournament.
2. I believe if we have to play pool play first the teams should be seeded not just put in a bracket in random by a manager of a team in the tournament.

I have played in 10-15 AABC tournaments that Sam Carpenter has run and I have never ONE problem with the way he does things. I do not claim to be Mr. AABC or the biggest supporter. Sam Carpenter and many others have done way more then I will do in my lifetime for AABC and the game. But I do tell people every chance I get that AABC is the only true organization left that makes you play the game the right way. This needs to be addressed and stopped.

If you would like me to fax you the brackets or if you would like to speak to me my information is below. I also invite all the other teams to please email Mr. Diamond and Mr. Neely your experience at this same event.

Thanks;

Cade Griffis
972-387-3228 WK
972-387-3229 Fax

www.dallasbat.net

www.dbatsports.com

www.dallasbat.com
Last edited by KCR
quote:
Originally posted by TromblyBaseball:
I heard the Firebirds won.

Steve, I found this on the AZ Diamond Report:

6-29-08: The Arizona Firebirds took first place in the Arizona National Connie Mack World Series Qualifier. The title gives the team a spot in the Connie Mack World Series.

After Trombly, Tigers, Marshals, Renegades, AA Prospects, and DBAT beat the hell out of each other for two days I'm not suprised the Firebirds won it.
I don't mean to be controversial here but....

What did you all expect? A tiger doesn't change his stripes (ask JAFO). The tournament's outcome should be a surprise to no one. Sad? Disappointing? YES! For those inclined to visit hell next year (no offense OBN), expect the same treatment.

No dount the Firebirds have a very good team -- they do every year. And I'm sure their roster is set for Farmington. The rest of us will have to earn it the old-fashioned way, eh? I imagine the South Plains Regional will be a heck of a tourney.

Was there a qualifier in California this year?

Does the regional have a definitive host at this point? Cool

-MD
Chubs,
I saw your post and wanted to say Hi.
Your boy from Grapevine is having a great summer pitching for Mustangs-Randle. I stay in touch with tychco all of the time. Hope that you are doing well and best of luck the rest of the summer.
quote:
Originally posted by KCR:
Catcher in Marshmellow Land can you PM me that C Brooks kids phone number. Thanks Chubs
quote:
Originally posted by Panther Dad:
I don't mean to be controversial here but....

What did you all expect? A tiger doesn't change his stripes (ask JAFO). The tournament's outcome should be a surprise to no one. Sad? Disappointing? YES! For those inclined to visit hell next year (no offense OBN), expect the same treatment.

No dount the Firebirds have a very good team -- they do every year. And I'm sure their roster is set for Farmington. The rest of us will have to earn it the old-fashioned way, eh? I imagine the South Plains Regional will be a heck of a tourney.

Was there a qualifier in California this year?

Does the regional have a definitive host at this point? Cool

-MD

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t a team from the DFW area go through the Renegade, Firebirds and others to win that qualifier last year?
quote:
Originally posted by knowitall:
quote:
Originally posted by SWAC:
Knowitall, the tournament was stacked in his favor last year. They just got knocked out in the third round by a team that played there this year from Dallas.

Please explain how it was stacked last year.

I have said my final comment on this subject.
knowitall -- I know you know it all, but this subject isn't real difficult if you can read between the lines. The manager of the Firebirds arranges all aspects of the tournament, from the pools to who plays where, to which teams are in the shaded dugouts. He arranges the umpires. In addition, after pool play, he arranges the brackets. His brackets have byes dispersed in a certain manner. Last year, he was heard telling others that the rude Texans would never play there again. It would be difficult to "black-ball" 1/3 of the teams that make up his show.

Last year, the Tigers were the best team. They won despite the challenges. If I recall, his team went to California and won a controversial qualifier to get make it to Farmington (I may be wrong). In any case, he has a very good team and they have been strong for many years. The integrity of the tournament is in question...that's all. It's not a slam on his kids or their skills.

Even a "stacked" tournament can be won by an underdog -- that's the beauty of baseball. My point earlier was simply....buyer beware.
quote:
Originally posted by knowitall:
quote:
knowitall -- I know you know it all, but this subject isn't real difficult if you can read between the lines. The manager of the Firebirds arranges all aspects of the tournament, from the pools to who plays where, to which teams are in the shaded dugouts. He arranges the umpires. In addition, after pool play, he arranges the brackets. His brackets have byes dispersed in a certain manner. Last year, he was heard telling others that the rude Texans would never play there again. It would be difficult to "black-ball" 1/3 of the teams that make up his show.

Last year, the Tigers were the best team. They won despite the challenges. If I recall, his team went to California and won a controversial qualifier to get make it to Farmington (I may be wrong). In any case, he has a very good team and they have been strong for many years. The integrity of the tournament is in question...that's all. It's not a slam on his kids or their skills.

Even a "stacked" tournament can be won by an underdog -- that's the beauty of baseball. My point earlier was simply....buyer beware.

You are right PD. Last year the Tigers were the best team that is why they won. This year the Firebirds were, that’s why they won. Simple!
If reading between the lines makes you feel better, continue doing so.
I don't remember seeing a post where anyone claimed that the Firebirds were not the best team. I didn't claim that to be the case. I wasn't there -- I can't comment on which team was best. For the most part, the topic recounts the games...with good pictures from one of the dads. None of the TIger or DBAT or Patriot or Marshal parents came on here to claim their team is the best. The Firebirds could very well have been the best team there --- and they may be the best 18U team in AABC. They will have a chance to prove that in New Mexico. However, the integrity of the tournament is in question. You can continue to bury your head in the sand if you don't have a problem with it.

If the Mustangs are the host team at the South Plains regional tournament, Sam will not run the tourney from behind a curtain with smoke and mirrors.

Ok, I'm done too. Cool
quote:
I don't remember seeing a post where anyone claimed that the Firebirds were not the best team. I didn't claim that to be the case. I wasn't there -- I can't comment on which team was best. For the most part, the topic recounts the games...with good pictures from one of the dads. None of the TIger or DBAT or Patriot or Marshal parents came on here to claim their team is the best. The Firebirds could very well have been the best team there --- and they may be the best 18U team in AABC. They will have a chance to prove that in New Mexico. However, the integrity of the tournament is in question. You can continue to bury your head in the sand if you don't have a problem with it.

If the Mustangs are the host team at the South Plains regional tournament, Sam will not run the tourney from behind a curtain with smoke and mirrors.

Ok, I'm done too. Cool

You said it. “Read between the lines” and “Stacked”
What else are you implying?

“The Firebirds could very well have been the best team there”.

There is no other conclusion they won!

I bet you a nickel you’re not done.

"Last year, he was heard telling others that the rude Texans would never play there again".

Your organization came back this year and will be back the next.
Last edited by knowitall
Know nothing,

You want facts, here are the facts. He put his team in a very weak pool. After they placed the top ten teams, his team went into the four team bracket, not the six team bracket. Next, his four team bracket included two fairly weak Albuquerque teams. He managed to avoid having to play Trombly Baseball, DBAT, Dallas Tigers, Marshals or All American Prospects.

As if that wasn't enough, he awarded his team a bye in the second round of bracket play, despite being in the four team bracket. This saved him a game of pitching and gained him a game of rest. Even if he had lost the first game, he still would have had a bye.

He did the same type of stuff last year. He has been quoted by several people saying he is doing this on purpose to chase off any quality teams so he can have a cake-walk to Farmington.

Whether his team was the best team there will never be known because his tournament is inherently flawed. All SWAC and KCR want is a fair tournament. If that coach would have won a fair tournament, he would have earned Farmington, not bought it. They simply want an AABC official to review each step of the tournament bracket to insure it is compliant with their own rules.
quote:
Originally posted by tychco:
Know nothing,

You want facts, here are the facts. He put his team in a very weak pool. After they placed the top ten teams, his team went into the four team bracket, not the six team bracket. Next, his four team bracket included two fairly weak Albuquerque teams. He managed to avoid having to play Trombly Baseball, DBAT, Dallas Tigers, Marshals or All American Prospects.

As if that wasn't enough, he awarded his team a bye in the second round of bracket play, despite being in the four team bracket. This saved him a game of pitching and gained him a game of rest. Even if he had lost the first game, he still would have had a bye.

He did the same type of stuff last year. He has been quoted by several people saying he is doing this on purpose to chase off any quality teams so he can have a cake-walk to Farmington.

Whether his team was the best team there will never be known because his tournament is inherently flawed. All SWAC and KCR want is a fair tournament. If that coach would have won a fair tournament, he would have earned Farmington, not bought it. They simply want an AABC official to review each step of the tournament bracket to insure it is compliant with their own rules.

So go 9-0 and get to the finals and beat them. Simple!
I spoke with some Firebird parents during the DBat-Firebird game. They indicated their pitching was not deep having lost 2 players to the draft. Their coaches had done some "scrambling" to find some arms.

I suspect if they had played stronger competition in pool and bracket play and not received the bye they may not have had their strong arms when they faced DBat/Renegades/Prospects and the outcome may have changed.

Certainly odd that with 4 pools and 6 TX teams there was a pool with no TX teams.

Then 3 TX teams, 2 SoCal, and 1 Fl team all get lumped together in the 6 team bracket while the strong AZ team is in the 4 team bracket with the week NM and CO teams.

A blind man/woman can see that's not a balanced approach to structuring play. Doesn't mean anyone can't win. But give a strong team (AZ) that advantage and you've tilted the odds considerably in their favor.

Had DBat finished off the Prospects in the 7th they had someone rested and may have taken the Firebirds. That game would have been exciting...
quote:
Originally posted by tigerbalm:
Knowitall, how does it seem balanced? Look at it from a pitching standpoint. If you are in the weakest pool, you have the ability to save pitching. If you get a bye, you save pitching. To say that it doesn't effect the outcome is ri"dic"ulous.

Life isn’t fair and balanced. Learn to adjust. The 2007 Tigers did it in those same conditions last year and came out on top.

A week pool or bracket is subjective; any team can win on any given day. Stop insinuating that a team is less deserving than another or were handed a gift.

I can’t believe you all are defending these insinuating comments.

“knowitall -- I know you know it all, but this subject isn't real difficult if you can read between the lines. The manager of the Firebirds arranges all aspects of the tournament, from the pools to who plays where, to which teams are in the shaded dugouts. He arranges the umpires. In addition, after pool play, he arranges the brackets. His brackets have byes dispersed in a certain manner. Last year, he was heard telling others that the rude Texans would never play there again. It would be difficult to "black-ball" 1/3 of the teams that make up his show.
Even a "stacked" tournament can be won by an underdog -- that's the beauty of baseball. My point earlier was simply....buyer beware.”

“Which teams have shaded dugouts?” “He arranges the umpires.”

Keep telling yourself that.

Here are some others to go along with “It’s not fair.”

“I can’t.”
“I don’t wanna.”
“It’s too hard.”

Give “ME” a break!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.