Skip to main content

My son received a request to complete a physical assessment/workout  from an MLB area scout.  Can anyone advise what this entails and is this something that has been found to be helpful to other players regarding their draft stock?  I don't mean to sound ignorant but we've had great opportunities and some not so great opportunities offered to our player.   

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son has gone through this with a couple of MLB teams this past month. They were all done with team trainers with a couple of scouts in attendance. The ones he has done were more of a mobility assessment/screening. They were very brief tests. And if you didn't know they were doing an assessment, you would have thought they were just doing some type of mobility warm ups. This video here shows a lot of the same movements they went through in the screening. They also did some ground force measurements using force plates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIDFUegMdlM

Aside from the physical, agility, and skills tests there were a small handful of teams who required more. (per son) A series of eye tests (not just reading an eye chart) and oral/written test were given.  It sounded like a psychological test that was toned down.  Also there was just small talk, one on one.  They asked everyday, non baseball situational questions (what if), opinionated questions, etc.  I guess main purpose was to see what type of team person in the clubhouse he may be, values, upbringing.

Aside from the physical, agility, and skills tests there were a small handful of teams who required more. (per son) A series of eye tests (not just reading an eye chart) and oral/written test were given.  It sounded like a psychological test that was toned down.  Also there was just small talk, one on one.  They asked everyday, non baseball situational questions (what if), opinionated questions, etc.  I guess main purpose was to see what type of team person in the clubhouse he may be, values, upbringing.

My son has done some of the written/online tests for some teams. The last one he did was actually proctored where he had to have a web camera on and he had to show the proctor a full 360 of the room he was in and the proctor made him cover up any tv or computer screens in the room. Kind of crazy.  The non baseball and opinionated questions have come with some of the home visits. They were pretty similar to job interview questions (describe a time when.....).  Haven't had to do any type of eye test yet.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.