Skip to main content

My 2017 went through a similar process and I sent you a PM with more details on how he made the transition from a two-way C/RHP to a PO in college.

I do think having gone through a similar experience (and now several years out from it) that there are a lot of college coaches who see a great arm in a position player (often a catcher) and see the kid's future as a pitcher.  Despite what appears to be an endless supply of arms in MLB throwing mid 90's and up, there are just not that many kids born with great arms.  They do not care how raw a kid's pitching skills are if they see the arm potential and think they can develop a pitcher.  One coach said he was thrilled my son only threw 4 innings his Senior year figuring his pitching had been limited and arm not abused through his HS team.  Catchers are a specialty position that more and more coaches see value in pitch framing and blocking over throwing out runners (especially with fewer base stealing attempts evolving at most levels).  Hitting for catchers is a big plus, but I think what some coaches will see as your son's greatest asset is his arm.

Good luck on the process!

A short story.

Thomas Eschelman (sp?) from San Diego area was a catcher until late in HS. Incredibly live arm, accurate throws, quick arm, was recruited to Cal state Fullerton as a pitcher and walked very, very, very, few college batters while striking out alot. He built up his velo (needed to be taught to just let the ball fly from the mound) to low 90s in college (he was upper 80s late in HS). He just wanted to play.

Was a second round draft pick.

He wasn't a great hitting catcher (he was a great HS hitting catcher), but he was a great HS receiving catcher.

Story over.

College coaches generally don't recruit receivers; college coaches recruit hitters who can also catch. (Why, I don't know. My son [a pitcher] said a great receiver changed the complexion of the game. Yet, . . . . )

So, ask yourself and ask your son and ask him to ask himself: can he rake high end travel/showcase pitching? 

RAKERS get recruited. Receivers become bullpen catchers.

All that having been said, I have no doubt that there are many D1 programs which would love to have him as a receiver - I just dont know if those schools are the ones he wants.

You only live once.....go to camp.

That said, the hardest question he is going to have to answer is what does he really want....if he reconciles that it is to pitch, then he must evaluate how badly he wants to go to the p5 that is expressing interest.

If he really wants to pitch does he feel that the p5 in question can develop him....all situations are different, but its been my experience that the p5s really (as do most levels) need to win and the focus and effort generally goes into the guys who can get them wins....a redshirt is possible...getting cut is possible

Also, at this time of year, you start seeing freshman transfer out prior to sophomore year.  The year end exit interview yields a blunt assessment - you aren't in their plans.

If it's all about baseball and Learning to pitch a juco may be a good option...develop and reassess after year 1 or 2.

Alternatively, if that does not seem to be where he wants to be, the hard question about the p5 is how happy will he be if ball does not work out.....could he live simply being a student at the p5

You also may want to check the p5's commitments in the 2020 class on perfect game.....specifically pitchers....look at their current roster and see how heavy it is with 2019s and 18s...not only pitchers, but the overall roster...that'll give you a good idea as to the type of numbers game he would face as an incoming freshman...they can only keep 35.  They only get their through the draft, or cutting/redshirting.

The other piece of info worth noting (that I picked up at a camp from a p5 coach) related to choosing/evaluating the right school.  He indicated you needed to evaluate the four following areas:

Baseball - Whats the best opportunity to grow/develop and how will you fit on team

Education - is it a good fit, i.e. majors, level, support

Social - is the geography, size, culture of the school right for you

Money - can you afford it.

In the coaches opinion baseball was the most important piece of the puzzle.......the rationale was that if the place you spend 40 hours a week does not work for you, your overall experience will be miserable and your education, and social experience will suffer.....I hadn't thought about it from that perspective..for our family it was mostly about education.....but for the most part I've found it to be true and a useful way to sort through the opportunities.

LetsGo!!!:  thanks for sharing that advice you received from the coach. I've always seen the advice given from the opposite perspective of ensuring the kid will be happy with the social/academic atmosphere in case baseball doesn't work out. But this coach made a very valid point about spending so much time with the baseball program. Let's be honest, they are STUDENT athletes; but in reality the athletics takes just as much or more of their time as the academics/social. If the kid hates the coaches/program, it's going to affect everything else. Ideally, I guess we hope our kid finds a good fit for him all around.

Zia2021 posted:

LetsGo!!!:  thanks for sharing that advice you received from the coach. I've always seen the advice given from the opposite perspective of ensuring the kid will be happy with the social/academic atmosphere in case baseball doesn't work out. But this coach made a very valid point about spending so much time with the baseball program. Let's be honest, they are STUDENT athletes; but in reality the athletics takes just as much or more of their time as the academics/social. If the kid hates the coaches/program, it's going to affect everything else. Ideally, I guess we hope our kid finds a good fit for him all around.

On the other hand you don’t always get to choose your coach. If you choose a rising program with a rising coach there’s a chance the coach moves on and up at first opportunity. 

Again, thanks all! I really thought I’d researched every possible option, but many of you brought up points that I’d never considered. 

Our biggest concern has been a mistake out of ignorance that would negatively affect our kid and how hard he has worked for years to get better at baseball.

All the feedback from those that have “been there” has been invaluable. Thank you! 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.