Skip to main content

I was just curious how extreme cold weather effects a pitcher on the mound. Assuming he has done everything he can to "warm up" under these bone chilling temps what exactly does or can frigid temps effect him, his arm, his mechanics, his stamina, etc. etc.

I was watching my son Pitch yesterday and it was probably the WORST weather I had ever watched a game in. (be easy on me here Yankee's, yes it was probably typical of some weather youz guys get daily. lol). It was around 32deg with 20-25mph winds which made it feel in the upper teens. Had it not been for the winds it could have been bearable.

Anyways, I watched him along with the many other pitchers and kept asking myself are they really able to warm up between innings, grip the baseball effectively, is their velocity dropping, etc.

My son said he couldn't feel his feet on the mound. That can't be good! lol. He pitched awesome so I can only hope the batters were just as miserable!

Is there any valid proof how frigid temps can and does affect a Pitcher during a game?

YGD

"The difference between excellence and mediocrity is commitment." Twitter: @KwwJ829

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If it was 30 with wind that's cold even for the north. A few years ago I watched a BC-GT doubleheader under those conditions. I kept asking myself why I was there and stayed. Afterwards someone asked if the Georgia people were cold. I responded in those conditions everyone is cold. 

I pitched in cold weather through high school. I figured I had an advantage. Pitching kept me warm and loose (relative to the weather).. The hitters were never loose. They spent most of the game standing around in the cold and the wind. Plus the ball didn't propel off the bat as well. As a pitcher if you want to make a position player hate playing jam him in cold weather. The only issue for a pitcher is your team having a long inning at the plate. The best the pitcher can do is walk and jog back and forth in the dugout which annoys everyone. 

Today I watched the Univ of Richmond and Bucknell game with my youngest son.  It was 35 degrees with a 10mph wind.  There was one hit into the 4th inning.   The hitters didn't look comfortable.  The pitchers were "dealing" and thankfully moving the game along.  Both pitchers were wearing sleeves, and were allowed to blow on their hands. 

I've seen a bunch of cold weather games in the last few years.  I've seen games played in snow and freezing rain that turned into pitchers duels.  I think the pitchers and catchers are fine because they are constantly moving.  I think the position players and hitters have a more difficult time.  A pitcher can much more easily own that inside half of the plate, and make that hitter just a little bit uncomfortable in the colder weather.

as the others have said, pitchers have it easier...although, it can't be comfortable...and I'm sure the coaches limit their pitch counts more in cold weather (as a club coach, I know I do).

But it is far worse for a position player than the pitcher.   Worst game I ever played in was in N. Texas in early April... crazy cold front came through after 1st inning of a 7:00pm game... wind out of the north at 25-30 and temps plummeted to around 35 within 30 mins.   I think it was bad b/c we did not dress prepared for it, but that was our fault as dumb college guys.  I will never forget trying to throw a ball across the diamond from SS... more like a shot put b/c my fingers were numb.   Anyway, the games in cold weather move quickly, as long as the P is willing to pound the zone and not nibble (although the umps are cold, so likely the zone gets a little wider, too)... batters take hacks early in the count.  

Some pitchers have trouble feeling the seams with cold weather, some have trouble holding the ball in extreme high humidity.  Usually the pitcher has the advantage in colder weather. These are things one has to learn to adjust to if they wish to play the game.

The team should have a warming sleeve available for pitchers as well as hand warmers (can be bought anywhere).

Originally Posted by fenwaysouth:

Today I watched the Univ of Richmond and Bucknell game with my youngest son.  It was 35 degrees with a 10mph wind.  There was one hit into the 4th inning.   The hitters didn't look comfortable.  The pitchers were "dealing" and thankfully moving the game along.  Both pitchers were wearing sleeves, and were allowed to blow on their hands. 

I've seen a bunch of cold weather games in the last few years.  I've seen games played in snow and freezing rain that turned into pitchers duels.  I think the pitchers and catchers are fine because they are constantly moving.  I think the position players and hitters have a more difficult time.  A pitcher can much more easily own that inside half of the plate, and make that hitter just a little bit uncomfortable in the colder weather.

fenwaysouth - we were at my son's games in Martinsville, VA.  He's a freshman at PHCC.  The weather was about the same yesterday and today.  The only difference was the sun was out all day today.  Yesterday it got up to about 35-36 F with light snow flurries during game 1 (they played a double header).  Sun came out late in the afternoon.  We were frozen by the 4th inning of game 2 - wife took the kids to the car.

The cold weather didn't seem to affect the PHCC pitchers much.  The starter in game 1 pitched well only giving up 1 hit in 8 innings. The starter in game 2 started off a little shakey - gave up two hits in the 1st inning - one of which was a 3 run HR.  Game 3 Corey Hanes gave up some hits, but pitched well. 

Garrett College's pitcher's seemed to struggle the entire weekend.  They pitched well at times, but gave up hits in crucial situations.  PHCC swept them in all 3 games, 4-1, 11-6 and 12-4 (mercy rule at the end of 7).  PHCC hosts Suffolk (NY) tomorrow - a double header.  We couldn't stay - wife has to work later tonight.  To be fair, the Garrett college game 3 starter pitched well, but the 3B and SS had several throwing errors to 1B (6-7 at last count) that allowed PHCC to keep innings alive.  It looks the cold weather affected the position players more than the pitchers.

Bum, Jr. grew up thriving in 40-50 degree weather in March when the h.s. season started.  I never thought too much about the weather then.  I thought it made him tougher.  It was when he went to college in Pullman, WA and it was 28 degrees in February with snow flurries and he couldn't feel his fingertips that I realized baseball is a summer sport.

IMHO, big time advantage for the pitchers in games like this. Batters trying to hit in the weather cold weather just cannot get loose. I understand the weather anywhere north of the Carolina's was just plain unplayable this weekend (welcome to our world here in the NE). Hopefully next weekend will bring some warmth!

Those who say pitchers have it easier must be parents of hitters.

I think each person is different.

I know my son loses about 2-4 mph on his fastball when the weather is around 40 degrees. He throws better when the weather is warm. The hotter the better.

Except for the last few weeks of the season, most of his games are in very cold weather unfortunately.

Originally Posted by RobV:

Those who say pitchers have it easier must be parents of hitters.

I think each person is different.

I know my son loses about 2-4 mph on his fastball when the weather is around 40 degrees. He throws better when the weather is warm. The hotter the better.

Except for the last few weeks of the season, most of his games are in very cold weather unfortunately.

I was a pitcher and a position player in high school. So was my son. Whatever you think cold weather does to pitchers it's a lot worse for hitters. Position players stand around getting stiff most of the game. 

RobV,

I don't think anyone would argue it is better for _all_ players when it is warm(er).  What you mentioned about your son is true for almost every pitcher out there.  I have some of my club players pitching for their school teams right now and they get frustrated when their velo is down.  I just tell them that 1) its early in the season and 2) its cold!  Velo will be down. 

But even with that, typically the pitcher still has the advantage.   He's warmer than any hitter coming up to face him.   All the best to your son this season!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.