Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son has a program he follows, set up by his coach.  Depending on the day, it is medball throws, weighted balls, long toss, bullpens.  He lifts most days and does bands.  We have a mound and a net and he throws into the net except for bullpen days, when his pitching coach meets him with his catcher.  

You can do the driveline off season program without much equipment (other than a couple of their balls and the trampoline).  It is a good way to keep the arm in shape and maybe get some gains.

We partnered early on with the family of his best friend from HS, who is also a pitcher. The adults all run our own businesses from home or online, so we agreed the two boys could see each other. They first built a weight room in my garage, including casting their own concrete weights, and throw to each other on a schedule set by son's coach. They go to a park or a friend's land in the country to do long toss. Doesn't seem too worried about speed at this point, just building strength and working on control, although it's also possible he just doesn't talk about it.

He was throwing daily following his normal in season routine. Then his summer league was cancelled so he's really has no reason to throw right now. Just lifting 2x a day and running, more likely out of boredom than for training purposes.

He heard from his coach that Fall 2020 is likely going to be online. If he's not getting back to campus until December he really doesn't have a reason to throw for quite some time. That creates bigger problems for college baseball which is best discussed in another thread but for now it's looking like no summer and no fall ball. 

He's also a guy that needs rest and works better fresh. Throwing everyday just makes his arm tired. He was looking forward to doing his own thing in terms of routine this summer 

@baseballhs posted:

My son has a program he follows, set up by his coach.  Depending on the day, it is medball throws, weighted balls, long toss, bullpens.  He lifts most days and does bands.  We have a mound and a net and he throws into the net except for bullpen days, when his pitching coach meets him with his catcher.  

You can do the driveline off season program without much equipment (other than a couple of their balls and the trampoline).  It is a good way to keep the arm in shape and maybe get some gains.

I've have been doing driveline and especially during this time, what would you suggest a possible way to do driveline weighted ball long toss without a partner? Thanks

So after the loss of my DS sophomore year due to Covid, luckily he was able to play during the summer and finished well but very unappreciated by his coach, he made a conscious decision to switch to a more competitive team. In July, he had the opportunity to play 1 game for an elite travel team ( he was nervous that he wouldn’t be up to par. I told him just go out there and have fun, don’t overthink) and did very well and got lots of compliments from the umps and bystanders after the game. So he knew he was ready for the next level.  We have a new and more competitive team for next summer!

He had decided to take Fall ball off and just concentrate on lifting and building muscles. In September, he started back with his pitching coach and his goal was to be at 84mph by December. His baseline was 72. Last week, he hit 81.9mph and he is so excited.
Now we are praying that Covid doesn’t ruin Spring ball!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.