Skip to main content

I have a 13yr old son that has an eye desease that make his eyes very sinsitive to sunlight. He has pitched since he was 9 and happens to be a very good pitcher. I have always carried a note from his eye Dr that says he MUST wear protective dark lens sunglasses when playing outdoor sports because of his eye condition. So far through his youth baseball career most umps and opposing coaches have had no problem with him wearing sunglasses while pitching. Only on one occasion did the other coach refuse to let him take the mound with sunglasses on. This coach knew he was a pretty good pitcher. Thank the Lord it was a very overcast day and the sun was not in his face so he could manage without the glasses that day. Anyway, my question is when he is in High School next year will he have a problem with wearing sunglasses on the mound? I know a pitcher cannot wear sunglasses but Im hoping there is some sort of exception for health and safety reasons. The lenses do have to be dark but are not the reflective kind. Please help me out here.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You have come to the right place for help, but frankly I can not remember reading where a pitcher can not wear sunglasses. There are regulations for color of gloves and arm bands but nothing on sunglasses that I could find.

If you keep them to all black and not with a reflective coating I could not see how this would give anyone a case to not allow him to wear them.

Piaump or someone else will have some advice that is relevant.
There is no rule against it.

Here are the only rules regarding wearing stuff specific to pitchers: 6-2-1
"f. wearing any items on the hands, wrists or arms that may be distracting to the batter;
g. wearing or placing tape, bandages or other foreign material (other than rosin) on the fingers or palm of his pitching hand that could come in contact with the ball;
h. wearing a glove/mitt that includes the colors white or gray;"

This is also a rule against jewelry: 2-1-12
"Jewelry shall not be worn (See 3-3-1d) except for religious or medical medals. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform. A medical alert must be taped and may be visible."
Of course sunglasses are evidently not jewelry since many fielders use them.

I have seen an umpire demand that a pitcher not wear sunglasses during a FED game, but he didn't really have rule support for it. I do recommend that your son only wear non-reflective and plain sunglasses to avoid the appearance of trying to upset the batters. Lots of people believe there is a rule against pitchers wearing sunglasses, and there's no point in inflaming them.
quote:
Originally posted by ExWrangler:
Anyway, my question is when he is in High School next year will he have a problem with wearing sunglasses on the mound? I know a pitcher cannot wear sunglasses but Im hoping there is some sort of exception for health and safety reasons. The lenses do have to be dark but are not the reflective kind. Please help me out here.

I have photos of Adam Ottavino (now of the Cardinals) wearing glasses or sunglasses in a college game. Also, doesn't K-Rod wear goggles? I assume he has a problem wearing contacts in a game.

Maybe they have to be shatter-proof, but I'd be surprised if they would be totally prohibited, especially if there is a reason.

P.S. Anyone who would use this as an excuse to try to not face a good pitcher is just pathetic IMO.
Last edited by John YaYa
quote:
Originally posted by 3FingeredGlove:
There is no rule against it.

I have seen an umpire demand that a pitcher not wear sunglasses during a FED game, but he didn't really have rule support for it. I do recommend that your son only wear non-reflective and plain sunglasses to avoid the appearance of trying to upset the batters. Lots of people believe there is a rule against pitchers wearing sunglasses, and there's no point in inflaming them.

3FG has got it here......there is no rule against sunglasses. I would advise keeping the note handy and as 3FG states only wear the minimal coverage, all black nonreflective glasses you can find to ward off some OOO umpire finding them distractive....

all fielders and umpires are allowed to wear sunglasses.....now, if you sons taste runs toward the newest flashy gargoyles with iiridescent lenses....well your just tempting fate...
WOW! Ask and you will receive. Thanks everyone.
I just assumed that sunglasses were not allowed on the mound because 90% the time my son went to the mound either the opposing coach or umpire said he would need to remove them unless they were presciption. We always tried to explain they are not prescription but he needs them for his safety when its bright or sunny outside.
Sometimes it was just easier to say "yes, they are prescription"
Apprecitate all the responses.
quote:
Originally posted by ExWrangler:
The lenses do have to be dark but are not the reflective kind. Please help me out here.

First, as others have said, there is no specific rule prohibiting pitchers wearing sunglasses. Some umpires mistakenly do so, however.

Second, carry your doctor's note at all games and send a copy to the assigner of the association that covers your son's games.

Third, re-check with your opthamalogist. Most sun sensitivity issues involve UV "B" rays, not UV "A". Sunglasses do not have to be very dark to filter UV "B" rays. If you wish to reduce the possibility of problems, have your son wear the lightest glasses that provide the proper protection.
I've got a bit different take on the "prescription" comments that you've all made. I would say that the doctor actually has "prescribed" that son is to wear dark glasses when outdoors. We all take the word "presription" to mean leanses with correction for a visual acuity problem, but you can just as easily say that he has prescribed that the boy has to wear dark glasses.

As long as they don't have reflective or attention grabbing lenses, I'd stand on this principal all day long if I were the boys coach. If that note is on the doctors letterhead or one of his prescription pads, then you have a prescription and nobody should have any ability to make him remove them.
to me.. this is 6 of one......half dozen of the other......there is no rule against it, so I could care less if they are prescribed or recommended...

I think the only reason to have the note is to ward off some OOO who rules against the player without any rule support.

Jimmy offered some great advice sending the note to the assigning umpire association...
Last edited by piaa_ump
I agree that it is a difference without a distinction but carry the note just in case. I agree with PIAA that the only reason to carry it is for some OOO or an over zealous manager. The best way to fix the problem is to contact the state and have them make a ruling. If they say it's OK then they let all the member schools know and the umpire assoc too.

I had a kid who had to wear them, prescription, and his first pair were reflective and the other team said they were distracting.  He had to get a pair of non-reflective flat colored sunglasses.  Never had a problem after that other than umpires or coaches who would question it but when we showed them the note, important to keep, from doctor that they were required for his health no umpire threw them out.  It is like the pitchers arm bands.  I have had umpires who said they could not wear them on their arms, some said yes they could, some said on their belt some said on their belt but had to have plastic coating inside not outside.  Some said not on them at all but could put them in their back pocket.  There are a lot of rules that are not rules but if they are a rule in the umpire's mind they are a rule.  The distracting aspect for pitchers is very interesting.

@PitchingFan posted:

I had a kid who had to wear them, prescription, and his first pair were reflective and the other team said they were distracting.  He had to get a pair of non-reflective flat colored sunglasses.  Never had a problem after that other than umpires or coaches who would question it but when we showed them the note, important to keep, from doctor that they were required for his health no umpire threw them out.  It is like the pitchers arm bands.  I have had umpires who said they could not wear them on their arms, some said yes they could, some said on their belt some said on their belt but had to have plastic coating inside not outside.  Some said not on them at all but could put them in their back pocket.  There are a lot of rules that are not rules but if they are a rule in the umpire's mind they are a rule.  The distracting aspect for pitchers is very interesting.

Gotta love baseball rules.   The official rule is the pitcher shall not wear anything on his hands, wrists or arms that is distracting to the batter.   The problem is - what is distracting?  something that can reflect sunlight?  An off color?  Oversized?  The only definitive rule is that it can't be white or gray.  I've also seen gamesmanship - that even though far from distracting - the hitting team complains - just to get in the head of the pitcher.  The rules committees of baseball have to realize that if they need to publis a case book with examples and rules interpretations - maybe the rule needs to be re written and simplified.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.