Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the site.  Those are pretty good numbers to have in 8th grade but it's way too early to tell where that will lead, what your competitive make-up is and a host of other factors.  The numbers are important but there is WAY more that goes into it.  Work on making a good HS player first.  Mechanics, agility, strength, work ethic, character, passion, competitive fire, ability to thrive against the best, ability to handle failure, etc., etc.  Some develop early and taper off, some develop late, some are on a more continuous growth curve.  You likely just won't know with some of this for a while.  Enjoy playing where you are now.  Keep working hard at getting better and don't get too far ahead of yourself.

As others have said....just too early to tell but with your size, I'd expect you can get that velocity to increase quite a bit over the next couple of years.   Keep working on getting stronger.   I'd also try to get that change up speed up to 67-68.....it doesn't need to be 13 mph difference to get outs....and it's likely 62 will get hit pretty hard especially if you end up pitching to HS guys that are 2-3 years older than you. 

Buckeye 2015 posted:

As others have said....just too early to tell but with your size, I'd expect you can get that velocity to increase quite a bit over the next couple of years.   Keep working on getting stronger.   I'd also try to get that change up speed up to 67-68.....it doesn't need to be 13 mph difference to get outs....and it's likely 62 will get hit pretty hard especially if you end up pitching to HS guys that are 2-3 years older than you. 

Don't be scared of the change up.  Throw it with conviction.  Makes your fastball faster.  It's a great pitch.  Velocity is important, get stronger.  But learn to pitch.  Even MLB'ers are still learning.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.