Skip to main content

I'm trying to increase my velocity. I am 5'10 and 150 pounds and I top out at 76 mph. I've been long tossing, lifting, bands etc. but now I'm beginning to think I need to better develop my mechanics. If you could please try and tell me what to work on incorporating into my delivery that'd be great. Here's some video:

Attachments

Videos (3)
trim.A3EC9763-7E9A-4E12-A57C-55B15BE33ED6
trim.27068FC0-64E4-4812-BC0D-296E9DCCF972
trim.87ED52E2-E7BB-4E49-9A4D-2AD66714808D
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Appears to me that you are "late" coming into front foot strike (FFS).  Your rotation appears to be late, and you don't appear to get much active torso flexion.  I would work towards getting more active, and early back side rotation into FFS...fire back side more intensely and earlier.  Look at second  photo of Greinke at FFS, notice how athletic of a position he is in, versus a screen grab of you below at FFS...you'll notice your arm late, and torso leaning back.  

Attachments

Images (2)

I agree with BFS.  To me, (and hopefully I say this correctly, if not someone please do it for me...lol) it appears that you are throwing up-hill vs throwing down-hill....meaning, as BFS stated, you are late...everything is behind your front foot.  It was most noticeable to me in your 3rd video, off your glove side, and I venture to say your pitch in that video was high because you are lagging.  Maybe you could work on separating a little earlier and getting your body a little more forward, like the in BFS's still photo

First upload your video to youtube and send links, this stupid video viewer does not allow anyone to step through your video and stop and look at spots in your motion.

Basically you have way too much going on here. Simplify things. 

Start from throwing from the stretch only at first to help you out a bit. Think about the purpose of your leg kick because it rotating you around before you even get to leg plant. You want to be heading DOWN the mound to the plate not rotating around and loosing all of your power and leverage. You are leading with your leg not your hip, look up the "hip drill" this will get you started in the right direction. I did a quick google and found this one, there are likely lots of others. 

http://www.yougoprobaseball.co...rill-wall-drill.html

Think about your glove hand arm parallel to your throwing arm but with your thumb pointing down and rotating to your nose. Not really but just do it to get the feel of where your glove side is supposed to be going. Right now it is opening you up. 

This is what you want to look like at foot strike. 

You need to get some local help as this is difficult over the internet but should get you started in the right direction. 

Good luck.

Thanks now step through slowly frame by frame and watch how you rotate around your rear leg instead of driving forward. You are not alone with this as my son had the same exact issue. 

Here is some video for you to work towards emulating. It is not perfect but at least will give you some clues on what to work on. Driving the hip toward the plate, look at the glove side stay closed as long as you can, land and then rotate hope this helps.

Keep working at it as it is a LONG process. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlCodjwBe6k

BOF - good post.  I agree with just about everything you posted, except I think the back side is rotating earlier than you think.  I slowed your video down even further, and frame by frame you can see BOF Jr, rotating right before foot plant.  When the back leg's knee rolls down, the hip is beginning rotation....back knee can't roll down without the hip turning.  The perfect timing is for the back side to fire right at, or before foot strike.

i agree completely that the poster is rotating (opening) with his front side, which is causing his back side to lag.  He sends his stride leg towards 3B, and then swings it open....you can make that work, but the hip should lead, and the back hip should be what gets it pointed towards his target.  Keeping the front side closed as long as possible is very important...very few can make it work by getting the front side open early....it takes an athletic specimen like Verlander to get the front leg pointed towards home early.

edit to add:  hip to shoulder separation is a key factor in velo, the more separation, the more velo...the hips firing prior to toros creates the elastic (stored energy) that creates the "rubber band" effect, resulting in separation....much like hitting.

Last edited by Back foot slider

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.