Skip to main content

There are multiple scenarios in baseball that call for certain strategies. The pitchout play being one of them.  Whether I am watching MLB or youth and HS baseball, I just do not see the pitch out being executed. Some folks say they don't run as much as they used to in MLB, which is true. Sometimes they say HS and youth pitchers are not able to perform the task at hand.

In my opinion it's not really an issue in MLB. You could probably watch about 10 games and see them pitchout in 1, maybe 2 games. Where are the athletes at people? Players in the league just don't swipe bags like they used to. I know pitching is a lot better thses days and that has something to do with it. It's hard to get on base and most MLB catchers are superb at throwing to 2nd base. Runs are a huge commodity and maybe managers like to play it safer. Henceforth another advantage to the pitcher. It's a pitchers game in MLB these days. We are living in the post steroid era and pitchers are now thriving.

All I want to say about HS and youth pitchouts is, the pitchout is needed. If for one reason only, it would be because as soon as an opponent smells blood that the catcher, pitcher, or both are struggling, they're going to run. They're going to run blatantly. You got to call the pitchout coach, to stop the bleeding. A coach has to be willing to teach his pitchers and catchers this. If situations like this are ignored by the coach, then he condones it. Help your players.

The pitchout will always have it's purpose. Baseball can still use it. Hopefully baseball doesn't forget how to use it as time keeps going and going...

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The only way to truly master the pitchout is to make it part of standard in-game procedure.
We realized that when done in simulated circumstances, it becomes more akin to simply playing catch and our players cannot maintain the proper level of concentration.   To combat this, we always call a pitchout
when the count is 0-2 at any time or circumstance in the first three innings.  This ensures maximum concentration and also lets the other team know that it's part of our arsenal.

MDS1 I concur with you...You used the word  " standard ", and that's exactly what coaches should do, set standards. Standards are a belief in philosophy for players to go by. Your program uses this play, everyone who is involved in this play will learn it. Standards are not optional, they are for everybody. It's a great example of organized baseball, coach. 

Making the pitchout part of your regimen and arsenal is refreshing when most others don't. When teams can have that certain trait , it could be the difference between winning and losing.  FREDDY77 taking the game up a speed with the quick pitch cross up is awesome. A play like any other that has to be worked on unrelentingly

As far as I'm concerned it's only an if when a player ain't working everyday to make himself better. If we are putting kids on the hill at 6,7 yo, than they can learn how to pitchout as well. There is one standard I believe everyone would agree upon, high standards.

This chalk talk is legit and I think it's great when we could discuss baseball, roundtable style instead of talking about I, me, or my....content with depth, it's about the game. Preciate it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.