Skip to main content

Has anyone been to or seen PSU's baseball field? It's called Al Ortolani Field. My sons team (Wayne State College opens up there in mid/late Feburary and I can't seem to find any recent photos. Also how is the weather there that time of year? I'm thinking of making the trip out there for the game and was wondering what it is like.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have been to PSU ball field.
Beautiful sports complex!

It will still be cold here. Could have snow as well, so if you come, be prepared to have those ear muffs and mittens! Big Grin

Best of luck to your son on his opening day!!
Very exciting!

Here's a more recent picture:

Some info from the PSU website:
The Pittsburg State baseball program enters its 12th full season at its on-campus facility, Al Ortolani Field. Ortolani Field has drawn reviews as one of the top playing facilities in the midwest.
Pittsburg State moved into its new facility on April 1, 1995. The Gorillas had played at the city-owned and shared Jaycee Ball Park from 1962-72 and again from 1991-95.
The baseball facility is named in honor of longtime PSU athletic trainer Al Ortolani, who was the Gorillas first baseball coach (1962-72). Ortolani guided PSU to a 95-90 overall record, including a pair of Central Intercollegiate Conference titles and a trip to the NAIA District III playoffs.
After dropping a twinbill to Lincoln University on the inaugural day at Ortolani Field on April 1, 1995, the Gorillas won their remaining eight games at the facility in ’95.
In 1996, PSU posted an 18-12 record in its first full season at Al Ortolani Field. The Gorillas were 22-7 at their home park in 1997, 25-7 in 1998, 23-3 in 1999, 20-9 in 2000, 17-12 in 2001, 26-9 in 2002, 25-8 in 2003, 24-14 in 2004 and 21-9 in 2005. Last year, PSU enjoyed a 17-14 home record, raising its all-time record at the facility to 246-106 (.699).
Al Ortolani Field received a major boost prior to the 2003 season with the installation of lights to the facility.
Future plans remain in the works to construct permanent seating and a press box at the facility. Al Ortolani Field is part of PSU’s Gene Bicknell Sports Complex, which includes the PSU Softball Complex as well as a pair of intramural fields.
Last edited by shortstopmom
Thanks for the photo. It looks like a real nice field/complex. Can't wait to see it in person. I have to laugh when I read in my previous post where I said I was "Thinking about Going" to my sons game. I only missed 1 opening day game since he started playing 15 years ago and thats because I was in a coma. (long story) Am I correct in saying that Tulsa looks like the closest big airport. I will be there on Feb. 21/22 so here's to keeping my fingers crossed for good weather. Thanks again for the info.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.