Skip to main content

"A lot of the students in Korea struggle with mental health and suicidal tendencies bec of this. We hosted a Korean exchange student for a year so we had first row seat to this."

Absolutely.  Same thing in India.  In those countries, your academic standing is the be all, end all to "success".  How you do academically in school and the equivalent of the sat/act determines what tier school you go to and much more than America, how you will do in life.  It is a pure meritocracy, right or wrong.  There is no unspoken one racial group has to score 200 points higher on the sat to overcome their race status.

@2022NYC posted:

In NYC the birthday cutoff is December. In the case of my oldest kid if he reclassed to a 2023, he would still still not be the oldest in his grade

Im just understanding this. So the cutoff is pretty extended in some parts of the country. 2023 will be 18 when he graduates. Personally I would feel funny if he was a 19yo HS student but thats just me. Each his own. Do what you think is best for your kid

Last year in NJCAA Region 5 there was a RHP from the Dominican Republic plaing for Cisco College that was (I believe) 28 years old.  He suffered a season ending arm injury late in the year that required TJ surgery. He will miss this season doing rehab and if he returns for the ‘24 season he will be 30 years old. I don’t know the backstory of how this came to be but I know it to be true.

@atlnon posted:

For those that reclassed, saying they wished they reclassed, or thinks that reclassing is a good idea for athletic purposes/reason, is it really worth starting a year or 2 later with life and lose out on that extra earning potential and real world experience?  I've met a lot of families that did this.  My son has kids 2 to 3 years older than him in his grade (we reclassed him 1 year up when he was in 2nd grade).  I honestly don't understand reclassing down for athletic purpose/reason.

Just to be clear, I am not talking about reclassing due to maturity or academic reasons.

I don’t buy into the extra earning potential by starting work earlier. Most people are physically younger than 65yos in previous generations. Most companies don’t have retirement plans with compulsory retirement at 65.

Since I’m self employed now in my second career I plan to work part time into my late seventies. Then I’ll evaluate my mental competency relative to being in a “mistakes could be financially devastating” work environment. I enjoy having something to get up for, being challenged and interacting with clients.

I also enjoy being able to go skiing any weekday I want in the winter. A Silver Pass is $250 for the season Monday to Friday excluding holidays. A regular one day pass is $140 on weekends and holidays. Who wants to deal with lift lines on those days anyway?

Last edited by RJM

Re the stereotypical Indian/Asian kid …

My kids were in the school orchestra through freshman year of high school. Both told me travel parents have nothing over these parents in the crazy department relative to their kids competing for 1st violin and/or first row.

Last edited by RJM
@RJM posted:

I don’t buy into the extra earning potential by starting work earlier. Most people are physically younger than 65yos in previous generations. Most companies don’t have retirement plans with compulsory retirement at 65.

Since I’m self employed now in my second career I plan to work part time into my late seventies. Then I’ll evaluate my mental competency relative to being in a “mistakes could be financially devastating” work environment. I enjoy having something to get up for, being challenged and interacting with clients. I also enjoy being able to go skiing any day I want in the winter.

Starting work earlier isn't about retiring early.  It's about being in a position where you have more options when you need it (i.e. being financially ready to get married earlier or buy a home earlier).  It also positions you to advance in your career faster with earlier work experience.  You can still choose to work till you are 70, but that 1 year of head start may put in a better financial position when you are 70 so you can choose to ski more if you want to.

I'm also not saying it's guaranteed to get you ahead in life.  But it seems like getting a 1 year head start gives a better chance of positioning your kid better in life than being successful in athletics in HS.

Im just understanding this. So the cutoff is pretty extended in some parts of the country. 2023 will be 18 when he graduates. Personally I would feel funny if he was a 19yo HS student but thats just me. Each his own. Do what you think is best for your kid

My daughter started school in CA. The cutoff date was 12/1. My son started school in PA. The cutoff date was 9/1. My (ex) wife started school in CA. She didn’t turn eighteen until the last week of October of her freshman year of college.

@atlnon posted:

Starting work earlier isn't about retiring early.  It's about being in a position where you have more options when you need it (i.e. being financially ready to get married earlier or buy a home earlier).  It also positions you to advance in your career faster with earlier work experience.  You can still choose to work till you are 70, but that 1 year of head start may put in a better financial position when you are 70 so you can choose to ski more if you want to.

I'm also not saying it's guaranteed to get you ahead in life.  But it seems like getting a 1 year head start gives a better chance of positioning your kid better in life than being successful in athletics in HS.

I needed two more courses to graduate after senior year. Baseball had interfered with classes enough I had dropped a couple. I graduated in January. I spent the winter and early spring skiing. I started work along with the people graduating a year after me in June. In theory, nothing would be different professionally and financially if I had started work a year earlier.

There’s a Frasier episode where by getting out of his seat one second earlier or later he met the woman of his dreams or ended up on a nightmare date. Everything in life sort of operates on this theory. I was talking yesterday with a friend who delayed her travel plans one day off the Pan Am Lockerbie flight. But, I believe personal characteristics ultimate lead people to the same end result.

@atlnon posted:

I think all it means is that the kid is off the parental expense account earlier.  I can't see that it gives the kid any particular advantage.

@atlnon posted:

I see it as one less year of my support...I hope

Every action has a reaction, and we do our best to put our kids in the best situation to succeed. Through it all, you and your spouse battle to win the coveted primary topic in their future therapy.

If the intent is good and you're within the rules, there shouldn't be any judgment.

As for me, I feel blessed for all the good and bad choices that led me to this moment.

Some of ya'll who bash on us who talk about our kids going to school to play baseball are just as strange on the other side.  Who talks about potential earning years when talking about 19 year olds?  They are in their prime.  Let them enjoy life to some extent.  As I say all the time, you have your whole life to work, why rush it.  It drives me up the wall parents who push their teenagers to get a job.  Let them play ball and be teenagers.  I'm not rich by any account and compared to some of you I'm poor.  But I told all three of my boys that if they played ball I would provide a car, my choice, pay their insurance, gas, and give them a little spending money.  I wanted them to enjoy life because you grow up fast enough.

I think it is also the mentality of those say they would not go back to their teenage years for nothing.  I loved my teenage years.  Real life adult decisions are tough most days.

@PitchingFan posted:

Some of ya'll who bash on us who talk about our kids going to school to play baseball are just as strange on the other side.  Who talks about potential earning years when talking about 19 year olds?  They are in their prime.  Let them enjoy life to some extent.  As I say all the time, you have your whole life to work, why rush it.  It drives me up the wall parents who push their teenagers to get a job.  Let them play ball and be teenagers.  I'm not rich by any account and compared to some of you I'm poor.  But I told all three of my boys that if they played ball I would provide a car, my choice, pay their insurance, gas, and give them a little spending money.  I wanted them to enjoy life because you grow up fast enough.

I think it is also the mentality of those say they would not go back to their teenage years for nothing.  I loved my teenage years.  Real life adult decisions are tough most days.

PF, you get my vote for dad of the year. Let me know if you are interested in a 4th or 5th son

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.