Skip to main content

Last night at a high school basketball game a player from one team threw the ball and hit the opposite team player in (you know where). This was the second time in a week. He tried it later in the game and missed. AFter the game the two coaches got into a heated debate over it and the player shoved the opposing coach.
Question is: Should the coach press charges? It would keep the player from playing for a year but it would also be on his record. It was recorded on news and played last night no very little issue on whether it actually happened. YOur thoughts?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Couple of questions.

Was the kid that shoved the coach the pitcher that threw at the batters? Or was it the player that got hit?

The kid should be thrown off the team for shoving the coach. If he was instructed to throw at people's private parts then the coach should be suspended as well. I know plunking a player is part of the game but intentionally trying to injure a person is not acceptable and if the coaching staff is encouraging such activities then the coach should be fired.

Would like a little more clarification though. The kid that got hit is justifiably upset but he still can't physically assault another team's coach no matter how upset he is.
The kid who uses the basketball as a weapon shouldn't be playing the game. The ref should have tossed him with a Tech thrown in. The coach should toss the kid off the team as a poor representative of the school.

The opposing coach should press charges against the offending player's coach, the school, the kid, the kid's parents and the school board.

The coach is responsible for the players in his care.

Allowing this type of behavior puts other athletes and coaches in danger.
From my perspective (mom of basketball player and wife of a former bkball player and daughter-in-law of a former bkball player and coach) a great deal of the problem is that refs allow a game to get too rough before stepping in. These a HS kids and sometimes egos and tempers get involved. I've said many times this year that the refs should have had better control of the game. Not to excuse the kids behavior but when my player is knocked around hard on the court he is going to react if the refs don't get it in control. As recently as this weekend after a game we discussed how different the atmosphere is now as compared to how it was 20 or so years ago. I don't really have an answer but I do think the refs bear some responsibility to be proactive and tell coaches and players how they intend for the game to be played and then follow through with fouls and T's. Of course, it goes without saying that the calls should be made without regard to what team is playing.
I've never seen a player assault a coach, but we had a basketball player get assaulted two weeks ago during a game by the guy he was guarding. Other team's kid had been punching him in the ribs all night, then during the last quarter, just turned, drew back his fist and punched him in the face. Broke his nose, obviously stopped the game, parents got into it on the floor - it was pretty nasty. Our player had surgery last Monday, now he can't play baseball. We still aren't sure what's going to happen to the kid who assaulted him. Hopefully UIL will handle this well and send a message!

But a kid assaulting a coach? There's NO excuse for that. His High School career should be over.
Last edited by gamedayrocks
I believe the player should be kicked off the team, but do not think that filing charges is at all appropriate. One of the symptoms our society is 'sick' is that people think filing charges and lawsuits is the fix all....IT AIN'T! The solution to problems like this starts in the home, and if it isn't being taught at home, then it needs to be taught by the coaches, teachers and administrators at school. BUT, getting the police or attorneys invovled is ridiculous, as is anyone who thinks that is appropriate.

Kick the kid off the team, don't let him play any more sports this year, even in a different sport. If he understands what he did was wrong, and apologizes to his school, the other school and the coach he pushed, then give him a new opportunity next year. If he refuses to take responsibility for his inappropriate actions, leave him out of sports, as he's got bigger issues to deal with.

As for the comments of 'gamedayrocks' just above, that player should be charged with battery. Pushing, shoving and elbows are part of basketball and up to the referees to keep the level of physicality low enough that it doesn't get out of hand. That's what fouls and technical fouls are for. Turning around and throwing a punch, way out of line and that does call for involvement beyond the officials at the game, IMO.

Ponder this for a moment, it's 'ok' to pitch a baseball at a batter (as long as you don't go too high) at some levels as 'part of the game' but its not OK to throw a basketball, football, or any other type of ball at a player at all, and not OK to throw a baseball at another player under most circumstances. Think about that for a while.
Last edited by 06catcherdad
As much as I hate to use the word "thug", it creeps out of my mouth more-n-more these days. As a result I'm convinced that if it happens on school property, to a school employee, that the school should press charges without a second thought. This process somewhat releases the coach from legal "wranglings" and puts it in the hands of the school administration and its posse of lawyers. These actions are completely uncalled for and if a kid wants to step outside the box and act that way, let him do so and play with those who deal with the legal processes. Going in this direction will also justify the suspension length that is defined in the athletic code of conduct guidelines. If you want to act like a criminal, expect to be treated like one.
Last edited by rz1
To bring you up to date.
The punishment for the kid was he had to run a few gut sprints and did not start the next game, senior night.
The school of the opposing team which was the home team is considering filing charges against the kid because it was after the game and on school property. He assaulted a teacher and the charges would be filed if it had been anywhere else.
The refs here do not call very little and have allowed it to get out of hand as in most places. I understand it will be discussed before the district tournaments start this week. He has done it 5 times this year and all five have been basketballs thrown into the privates. Not a single one was called other than out of bounds on the player that got hit.
If it was my kid, I would have him apologize to the coach and remove him from the team and pray that they don't press charges. If they do press charges, it will fall under the school harrassment policy which is hard to get esponged. It could keep him from some state colleges and will keep him from FAFSA scholarships, I am told. That is tough.
quote:
As for the comments of 'gamedayrocks' just above, that player should be charged with battery. Pushing, shoving and elbows are part of basketball and up to the referees to keep the level of physicality low enough that it doesn't get out of hand. That's what fouls and technical fouls are for. Turning around and throwing a punch, way out of line and that does call for involvement beyond the officials at the game, IMO.

Just found out that not only was this player not disciplined, he was allowed to stay on the team and play his next game. During which he got pretty physical with TWO players. One of those boy's brothers came off the bench and shoved the kid hard enough his feet left the floor and he hit the bricks hard because no one else was stopping him. This ended the game, which was already in the 4th quarter, but still...

IMO, the officials certainly did not have control of either game. They're to blame for allowing things to escalate. That boy's coach is to blame for basically encouraging this bullying tactic by allowing him to act this way, the District is to blame for not insisting his school/coach do SOMETHING to stop this behavior (I'd be willing to bet that these aren't his first two fits of rage), and UIL is going to be responsible for whatever he does next IF they DON'T take control of this situation.

School athletics is not the place for Jerry Springer tryouts or WWWF smackdowns (or whatever the heck you call it.)

Now, we have some of our baseball players talking about what they're going to do if he's allowed to play baseball, they're on the mound and he's in the batter's box. None of us want to see that happen.
quote:
IMO, the officials certainly did not have control of either game. They're to blame for allowing things to escalate.

I assume from your location (2A Elkhart) that your son plays for a small school. My opinion is that the officials at small school BB games tend to 'let them play' and call very few fouls under the belief that the skill level is lower and 'we'd be here all night' if they called fouls....

Some coaches use this and coach their players to be very physical. My son once complained to the ref after being manhandled while rebounding and was told by the ref 'that's basketball'..
quote:
Originally posted by rz1:
Referees... right Roll Eyes. If you think coaches have lost their "rights" to coach, refs many times are riding in the same boat.
I believe once a game ends the referees are no longer responsible. Control of the facility becomes the responsibility of school security. I don't know if this rule varies from state to state.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.