Skip to main content

In case anyone is sitting around bored on a beautiful Sunday I would greatly appreciate any and all comments, suggestions and or criticisms of my son's BeRecruited web page. Especially the video we just added. In short he's a 2012 LHP/OF who is targeting Div 2 & 3 schools in the NJ, PA, NY, RI area.

As always, thanks for your help.

http://profiles.berecruited.com/athletes/1018774
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I noticed he got 38 views today.

Not sure what it is you want us to say, a critique on your son or the site?

I am not high on listing young players info on any messageboard, JMO. My suggestion would be don't until you have some substantial stuff to show off.

Nice stuff on working with the Blue Claws, however, playing as much as you can this coming summer is important if you want to go to the next level of baseball (college), sometimes it's tough to concentrate on both.
i will be happy to hear any suggestions anyone has that could help me move him closer to his goal, Whether it be something you see in the video or suggestions about the site itself. Something We left out or shouldn't have included.
The Blue Claws internship is to help him decide if he actually wants to major in Sports Management by seeing the job first hand. His supervisor is very understanding and his work schedule will work around his travel schedule. We got very lucky that they are so understanding.
S-D,

You have a good looking kid. I watched his Skillshow video. It's difficult to assess your son from a simple bullpen off a portable mound, but it looks like he has good armspeed and decent balance? How's his velocity coming? As for his bat...He appears to have a nice swing, but then, most lefties look smooth to me so I'm not the right person to receive feedback from.

Maybe I missed it, but did your son list his current GPA and SAT/ACT score(s)? Since this is a recruiting website, coaches/schools will want that information before they even consider your kid for their program. If it's on there I apologize...good luck to your son.
Guys,

Thanks for all the very very helpful suggestions. This site is unbelievable. When I talk to the other parents on his teams, some with kids significantly more talented than my son, they are absolutely clueless about this process.
I can't explain just how much I have learned just by reading your posts in general and now your suggestions specifically for my kid are invaluable.

Several have mentioned that they didn't see his GPA listed. When I open his page it is there, is it possible it appears on my screen and not yours?

As for his weight and need to fill out, believe it or not this IS filled out!!!! He's been drinking Boost extra protein mixed with ice cream every night and finally got his weight over 150 lbs. He is still very physically immature and we are hoping that he will also fill out more as he matures. Of course his older brother is a 5'11" 135 lb coxswain at Rutgers so we are battling genetics!!!!

Again thanks for taking the time to view his page and offer your help. I posted in another thread that if he is fortunate enough to play at the next level it will be in large part to the help and advice we have received here.
quote:
Originally posted by Tx-Husker:
quote:
Originally posted by YoungGunDad:
You wanted feedback...You got it.

Your son has some very goodlooking mechanics. But as a lefty you have GOT to teach him to turn that cap just a little bit on his head! LOL.

Good luck!

YGD

What chu takin 'bout willis?

Tx-Husker, you just read my mind. Purke poped into my head with the discussion.
Lefty, Flatbill, turned slightly....what a stud!
quote:
Originally posted by SpeedsDad:
Guys,

Thanks for all the very very helpful suggestions. This site is unbelievable. When I talk to the other parents on his teams, some with kids significantly more talented than my son, they are absolutely clueless about this process.
I can't explain just how much I have learned just by reading your posts in general and now your suggestions specifically for my kid are invaluable.

Several have mentioned that they didn't see his GPA listed. When I open his page it is there, is it possible it appears on my screen and not yours?

As for his weight and need to fill out, believe it or not this IS filled out!!!! He's been drinking Boost extra protein mixed with ice cream every night and finally got his weight over 150 lbs. He is still very physically immature and we are hoping that he will also fill out more as he matures. Of course his older brother is a 5'11" 135 lb coxswain at Rutgers so we are battling genetics!!!!

Again thanks for taking the time to view his page and offer your help. I posted in another thread that if he is fortunate enough to play at the next level it will be in large part to the help and advice we have received here.

I'll take first cut.....your son has nice balance in his motion and finishes forward,ie(not falling off). Although it is from a portable mound but like his mechanics.
Also he has a nice swing, stays back well, with POC out in front.
From a 2013 parent, tell him to keep up the work and best of luck!
It looks Great. I wish I had the ability to make one from scratch. Thank goodness for BeRecruited. The only suggestion I could make is add more photos and a video. My sons video has gotten some favorable responses. Now of course he'll have to play well if anyone comes to see him play. Your site reminded me to add Speeds schedule. Good Luck he looks like he is quite a player and on his way!
Full disclosure: I am a paying advertiser on this site. Check the banner ad on the top of the Virginia Forum for my info.

BeRecruited is a pretty good option.

Many of my clients post the videos that I create in multiple “recruiting databases” and I’m perfectly fine with that.

That being said, I am still a big fan of doing the leg work yourself. Your son should be sending emails, making phone calls, and basically being “proactive”. Hoping a coach finds you through a database is more “reactive”. I would encourage you to utilize any and every service you can but be sure to put in some old fashion work in addition to using those services!

Video is simply part of your “marketing”. It is not meant to get you signed. Just like your resume is not meant to get you hired, but meant to get you an interview. Rather the video is used to encourage coaches to come see you in person after they see something they like on film.

My company, Play In School – College Recruiting Videos, will come out and film your athlete in a 1 on 1 setting or film an entire team/organization. Click on the link to see a thread on “Team Packages”.

http://hsbaseballweb.com/eve/f...6002781/m/6117033006

Check my website for examples.

Good luck

Rich
www.playinschool.com
Rich

Thanks for the advice. Right now we have the following plan, which is based mainly upon the advice, suggestions and experiences I have picked up from the numerous posters on this site.
Fortunately, we are able to identify Speed's target schools based upon his desire to stay within 4 hours of home, his preferred major, academic and baseball ability. This Fall he attended Camps/Showcases that he knew these schools would be holding and/or attending. He has made email contact with several of these schools to let them know he would be attending, tried to meet the Coaches personally and introduce himself at the Camps/Showcases and sent followup emails thanking them for their time and consideration. Recently, he emailed the targeted schools about his BeRecruited website and the video downloaded there. We are currently trying to schedule on campus visits on Home Game Days to these schools during his Spring Break.
He is attending the PG NorthEast Sunshine in June and he is on a regional summer travel team that plays in many of the "high profile" tourneys this summer, the current video is from this team. I hope to make a less formal "game action" video this season to add to the BeRecruited website. Lastly he plays for a local travel team that has a remarkable, traditional relationship with the State schools. They do not play in "high profile" tourneys but hold their own invitational tourney/showcase that is extremely well attended. Practically every Tri State school has players on their roster from this program.

Well that's our plan, now let's see how it works!!!

I do have a question, in notifying the Coaches about the video we have been sending the link to his BeRecruited website. Do you think he would be better off setting up a seperate YouTube link with just the video? Once again any suggestions and/or criticisms are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.