Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't see any more than maybe 2 of those  being at 2.2.....your arm strength is a major issue at this point if you're hoping to really cut your pop times down.  A few of those throws are 12-15' high when they cross the pitchers mound.....you need to be throwing them at or a foot above his head.  Work on that and your POP times will come down.  Your footwork doesn't look bad on the throws that the pitcher gave you that you could work with....it's all an arm issue right now.  Once you get that down, I'd make a couple other suggestions.  1) try to find a field with grass infield....it's really hard to get an accurate idea of where the ball is when it blends into the dirt.  2)  have a 2nd baseman catch your throws.  If it's not perfect....delete it.  The couple that hit the net 6' above the base do more harm than good.

Last edited by Buckeye 2015
Buckeye 2015 posted:

I don't see any more than maybe 2 of those  being at 2.2.....your arm strength is a major issue at this point if you're hoping to really cut your pop times down.  A few of those throws are 12-15' high when they cross the pitchers mound.....you need to be throwing them at or a foot above his head.  Work on that and your POP times will come down.  Your footwork doesn't look bad on the throws that the pitcher gave you that you could work with....it's all an arm issue right now.  Once you get that down, I'd make a couple other suggestions.  1) try to find a field with grass infield....it's really hard to get an accurate idea of where the ball is when it blends into the dirt.  2)  have a 2nd baseman catch your throws.  If it's not perfect....delete it.  The couple that hit the net 6' above the base do more harm than good.

Thanks for the reply. I am working on arm strength. Lifting now until March. I got more video today on a grass field. Will post the link ASAP. 

Again, the footwork isn't bad....but the video overall is of absolutely no use to you....though the camera angle from there is much better than from behind 2nd.  Throwing to a net just doesn't work....you just can't get an idea of where the throws really are.   I wouldn't bother doing another one until you can have a player at 2nd catching your throws.  Heck, have your little sister or brother stand off to the side 5-10 feet away and throw to you...and let the kid in the video (looks like he can play )  be your second baseman.   Also find someway to edit them....you don't need that many..... you only need 6-8 good ones at most....and there is no reason to show one that went 5' right of 2nd base.

One thing I do notice is on every ball that comes at you in the strike zone, your glove drops an inch or two....comes around almost in an "under" type of movement if that makes sense?....... and then comes back up to meet your throwing hand.  Work on keeping it where you caught it....stand and bring your throwing hand to the mitt.  There is just so much less movement and time involved that way.    You'll be amazed at how much quicker your release is.  Keep working....good luck

Buckeye 2015 posted:

Again, the footwork isn't bad....but the video overall is of absolutely no use to you....though the camera angle from there is much better than from behind 2nd.  Throwing to a net just doesn't work....you just can't get an idea of where the throws really are.   I wouldn't bother doing another one until you can have a player at 2nd catching your throws.  Heck, have your little sister or brother stand off to the side 5-10 feet away and throw to you...and let the kid in the video (looks like he can play )  be your second baseman.   Also find someway to edit them....you don't need that many..... you only need 6-8 good ones at most....and there is no reason to show one that went 5' right of 2nd base.

One thing I do notice is on every ball that comes at you in the strike zone, your glove drops an inch or two....comes around almost in an "under" type of movement if that makes sense?....... and then comes back up to meet your throwing hand.  Work on keeping it where you caught it....stand and bring your throwing hand to the mitt.  There is just so much less movement and time involved that way.    You'll be amazed at how much quicker your release is.  Keep working....good luck

Thanks for the glove movement tip, will work on it. As for the helping of the video shooting, I will try to get help. Hard to have people that will help you when they want to do other things. Where do you suggest that I have the camera at? I have it set up on a tripod and can't have anyone hold it. 

My opinion, your throwing hand should not be at your cup, but behind the glove.  When you receive the ball, let the ball momentum, with the guidance of your left arm guide the  ball and the glove up towards your right shoulder while rotating the glove, so that your hand can simply grab the ball and release (this is a quicker way to get the arm into the throwing position).  The ball has to cooperate (meaning your pitcher needs to target better for video). Also, get your pitchers phone to record the ball coming into the bag, so you can show both views.   Good luck!

Welsey;

you should focus on the "role of a catcher'. Arm strength is only one phase and their are several methods to adjust. During infield speed up your throws to the bases, move in the front of the plate.

QUICK RELEASE! as I have mentioned you can warm up with a teammate by catching the ball off the heal of the mitt for quick transfer.

1. calling the game. "read the bat"

2. read the runner. when is stealing " is his right toe point to second base

3. know your pitcher, give him signs for "pick off"

4. set signs with your 1b for the "pick off" from you.

During our Goodwill Series Japan, Korea and Australia, our catchers learn the "little" things and they improve.

Bobhttp://goodwillseries.org/

Consultant posted:

Welsey;

you should focus on the "role of a catcher'. Arm strength is only one phase and their are several methods to adjust. During infield speed up your throws to the bases, move in the front of the plate.

QUICK RELEASE! as I have mentioned you can warm up with a teammate by catching the ball off the heal of the mitt for quick transfer.

During our Goodwill Series Japan, Korea and Australia, our catchers learn the "little" things and they improve.

Okay, thank you. Now here is another question. What is the order of importance of catching skills? Like numbered, what would receiving, blocking, throwing, game calling, pitcher relationships, and etc be in order of importance?

Wesleythecacther posted:
Consultant posted:

Welsey;

Okay, thank you. Now here is another question. What is the order of importance of catching skills? Like numbered, what would receiving, blocking, throwing, game calling, pitcher relationships, and etc be in order of importance?

Just asked my catcher Wesley, he said:  Receiving, Pitcher Relationship, Game Calling, Blocking and then Throwing.  He thinks Receiving is 85% of what catcher does, Blocking 10% + Throwing 5%.

Pop time and velocity are the most important aspect of catching to any coach who's job is on the line for choosing a catcher.  It's expected and those that have it, are expected to receive and block, read the bat and runners, and manage the pitchers.  Lots of people will say receiving is most important, but they will choose a guy who has a cannon for an arm over a receiver any day of the week because they believe they can teach receiving and the other catching attributes.    What I wrote is based on my experience, conversations with many coaches, and some professional pitching coaches.  The professional pitching coaches love framing and reading and believe that is most important, but you will never get that opportunity at that level if you do not have velocity to take you through the underlying systems. Velocity is an easy disqualifier.  Work on velocity.

2forU posted:

Pop time and velocity are the most important aspect of catching to any coach who's job is on the line for choosing a catcher.  It's expected and those that have it, are expected to receive and block, read the bat and runners, and manage the pitchers.  Lots of people will say receiving is most important, but they will choose a guy who has a cannon for an arm over a receiver any day of the week because they believe they can teach receiving and the other catching attributes.    What I wrote is based on my experience, conversations with many coaches, and some professional pitching coaches.  The professional pitching coaches love framing and reading and believe that is most important, but you will never get that opportunity at that level if you do not have velocity to take you through the underlying systems. Velocity is an easy disqualifier.  Work on velocity.

Thanks for the feedback, how can I work on and better velocity?

Wesleythecacther posted:
2forU posted:

Search this site for velocity. you will find programs geared to throwing velocity.  Kyle Boddy, Eric Cressey come to mind. Advanced Baseball in Burke VA has a great velocity program - you can check them out on the web (weighted balls (light, normal, heavy and body training, etc.)  You can train your swing there as well.  You can greatly improve your stick and release with some of the suggestions that have been made in your posts - the quick release as an example.  If I remember correctly from the time the ball hits your glove to release should be approximately .8 seconds. There is a formula breakdown on why sub 2 second pop times are required to get fast base runners out, from pitch release to your throw.  Download a free app to your phone called Technique (it used to be ubersense).  Slow motion video capture and replay will let you get an approximate time on what you are doing and you can start to watch yourself so you can see what other see.  There is a comparison component to it as well so you see before and after improvements, but I think you need to pay for that.  Good for swing training as well.  Genetics will be a limiting factor to how fast you can throw the ball, no matter the program you choose, but they can help you become the best you can become.   Have fun doing this, it's great!

2forU posted:
Wesleythecacther posted:
2forU posted:

Search this site for velocity. you will find programs geared to throwing velocity.  Kyle Boddy, Eric Cressey come to mind. Advanced Baseball in Burke VA has a great velocity program - you can check them out on the web (weighted balls (light, normal, heavy and body training, etc.)  You can train your swing there as well.  You can greatly improve your stick and release with some of the suggestions that have been made in your posts - the quick release as an example.  If I remember correctly from the time the ball hits your glove to release should be approximately .8 seconds. There is a formula breakdown on why sub 2 second pop times are required to get fast base runners out, from pitch release to your throw.  Download a free app to your phone called Technique (it used to be ubersense).  Slow motion video capture and replay will let you get an approximate time on what you are doing and you can start to watch yourself so you can see what other see.  There is a comparison component to it as well so you see before and after improvements, but I think you need to pay for that.  Good for swing training as well.  Genetics will be a limiting factor to how fast you can throw the ball, no matter the program you choose, but they can help you become the best you can become.   Have fun doing this, it's great!

Thank you for the advice! I will look at other posts and use the advice I've gotten in here.

CollegeParentNoMore posted:

Wesleythecacther posted:

looked on Amazon and it costs $300, I don't have that kind of money. I found a book called: The Complete Handbook of Coaching Catchers by Jerry Weinstein.

See http://community.hsbaseballweb...ation.sort=ITEM_DATE

Jerry knows his stuff.  He also has a post on what things a college coach is looking for in a catcher.

Thanks For the link, will check it out for sure. Wish I spent more time doing stuff instead of being on here, but I need the help. 

I understand this post is old but for others looking it for reference, i see a few things wrong with technique...

Your getting way to vertical when you throw.  Think of a sprinter...They dont stand up to run...They start out low and streamed line... When you launch....you should be doing the same...

Also your sitting flat, catching the ball (getting that pop) and then starting your feet movement.  You should be already moving as the ball pop's the glove. I call it "cheating".  I will tell my son to cheat it and he knows what I mean.  Also I see guys when they throw down all the way back behind the plate...I personally like to have my son sneak forward a little more than he would if he were catching.  Make sure you come THROUGH home plate...Follow the throw almost like a pitcher...

I couldnt see your arm mechanics as it was too far away.   Clean up your mechanics and drive your body when you throw, you will see lots of improvement..

Kevin A posted:

Also your sitting flat, catching the ball (getting that pop) and then starting your feet movement.  You should be already moving as the ball pop's the glove. I call it "cheating".

I wonder what college coaches think when they receive a recruiting video that indicates a  pop time on the title page, and then proceeds to display a 1/2 dozen throws where the catcher is prematurely  rising  out of his receiving stance ("cheating")?

Last edited by freddy77
Kevin A posted:

.  Make sure you come THROUGH home plate...Follow the throw almost like a pitcher...

Not to be argumentative, but when I observe this, I count it as a negative.   To the bare eye,  what you describe would suggest to me that the catcher is "running with the ball" --taking extra steps.

I envision a catcher's jumpshift/throw/followthrough occurring within the confines of  (large) phone booth.

But I'm no expert.  Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by freddy77
Kevin A posted:

My son takes one step follow through...Go "through" home plate as opposed to the side (think of falling off a mound).  The video is showing the catcher standing up and lift his rear leg but not really following through...This will help generate power....

I apologize, I didn't watch the video.

______

Edited to say:  I just watched the video, and was impressed that the OP was able to get rid of the ball compactly and quickly, without cheating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...amp;feature=youtu.be

Last edited by freddy77

Coaches know "cheating" when they see it.  If you're making a video DO NOT cheat and also don't put pop times you timed yourself on the video....there's no way to verify them.  If you're at a showcase that has coaches watching....don't cheat so much that it's obvious.  Sure your POP time will look good to the coaches who read the review the next day, but you're trying to impress the coaches who are WATCHING!    You tell your kids as they are growing up...."nobody likes a cheater"....why would you tell them to cheat on something as important as making an impression on college coaches??  If a kid has to cheat to get his pop time down to where it looks good to coaches, he's probably not that good of a catcher.  Not trying to sound harsh....just honest observations

Your associating the word "cheat" with being dishonest.

It is a word that I use to remind my son of a few items while preparing to receive.

It was also taught to him by a former MLB catcher. It simply refers to shifting his body and feet AS he is receiving the ball instead of AFTER which is both legal and taught. Saying "cheat it" is easier than saying " don't forget to initiate your footwork as your receiving the ball. Don't wait". I'll also say cheat up if I thinks he's too far back or suspects a bunt ( when a batter is way up in the box).

Your associating the word cheat like he's breaking rules.

Freddy-

Proper technique is for the receiving to initiate as he is receiving the ball.  Coaches watching this will see a catcher who has received advanced instruction.  Every coach with catching experience has complimented my 14 year old on this technique...

The term "cheat it" was used by a former MLB coach and we added it to our terminology.

I wasn't associating it with breaking rules.  My son has played for and trained with 3 different former MLB pitchers.  He caught for one of them.  They all basically said the same thing.....don't cheat because what if the pitch is in the dirt??    Quote:  "you're screwed and your pitcher is mad....catch every pitch as if you expect it in the dirt"......good advice.    I guess maybe you have time to initiate footwork then change your mind as a 14U kid.....but it's a lot tougher at 16U/17U when kids are throwing 90.

Last edited by Buckeye 2015

If the pitch is in the dirt he's blocking first.....  he has time to determine if the pitch is one he is throwing down on or having to receive before initiating...and there shouldnt  be any surprise pitches as he already knows what pitch he called....

And yes he is catching kids in the 80's.  Our stud HS pitcher is high 80's.  Not sure why this seems so difficult...

Kevin A posted:

I understand this post is old but for others looking it for reference, i see a few things wrong with technique...

Your getting way to vertical when you throw.  Think of a sprinter...They dont stand up to run...They start out low and streamed line... When you launch....you should be doing the same...

Also your sitting flat, catching the ball (getting that pop) and then starting your feet movement.  You should be already moving as the ball pop's the glove. I call it "cheating".  I will tell my son to cheat it and he knows what I mean.  Also I see guys when they throw down all the way back behind the plate...I personally like to have my son sneak forward a little more than he would if he were catching.  Make sure you come THROUGH home plate...Follow the throw almost like a pitcher...

I couldnt see your arm mechanics as it was too far away.   Clean up your mechanics and drive your body when you throw, you will see lots of improvement..

Thanks for the reply. I completely forgot about this post. I have improved and my arm strength has gotten better as I had been hitting the weight room for the past couple months. High school senior season starting Monday and I am excited. I also have committed to a D1 JuCo as of December, I signed my LoI. I will try to get newer video up sometime.

freddy77 posted:
Kevin A posted:

Also your sitting flat, catching the ball (getting that pop) and then starting your feet movement.  You should be already moving as the ball pop's the glove. I call it "cheating".

I wonder what college coaches think when they receive a recruiting video that indicates a  pop time on the title page, and then proceeds to display a 1/2 dozen throws where the catcher is prematurely  rising  out of his receiving stance ("cheating")?

From my college recruiting experience I can tell you that they are not impressed and will want to see you in a game to see how you do.

freddy77 posted:
Kevin A posted:

My son takes one step follow through...Go "through" home plate as opposed to the side (think of falling off a mound).  The video is showing the catcher standing up and lift his rear leg but not really following through...This will help generate power....

I apologize, I didn't watch the video.

______

Edited to say:  I just watched the video, and was impressed that the OP was able to get rid of the ball compactly and quickly, without cheating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...amp;feature=youtu.be

Thanks for the reply. What does OP mean? haha. That is my video that I took months ago. I have gotten better as I have been in the weight room and my arm strength has gotten better along with mechanics.

"initiate your footwork as you're receiving the ball."

"You should be already moving as the ball pop's the glove."

Kevin,

Credit to your son that he's able to do this without mis-handling the pitch.  I  get a genuine impression that he's advanced for his age.

I'm skeptical, however,  that "initiate your footwork..."  is good advice regarding game-throws for the typical HS catcher.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.