Skip to main content

By freshman year of high school is a player better off concentrating on a single position or keeping his skills up in multiple positions?  Question came up because of one of my son's teams is showing interest in his catching skills, even though he has recently been focusing on his outfield skills. He also plays middle infield, although that seems to be a distant third in his mind.    (I do not want to even start on the number of gloves...)

Last edited by ILoveBaseball04
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

When a young player gets called up to varsity chances are there’s an upperclassman at his preferred position. It’s the one he would probably want to play when he’s older.

If you hit you play. It’s why I had all my travel players spend time playing left and right field. It’s the most likely positions to be available to a freshman or sophomore.

My son was the heir apparent at short. Freshman year on JV he started the first half of the season at short. The centerfielder got injured. The coach had seen my son shag flies. He put him in center. He said he could handle a few balls kicked by the other shortstop than seeing multiple balls per game go up the gaps.

My son still started at short soph year and made all conference. That summer his 17u travel coach moved him to center. The next spring his high school coach moved him to center.

When he got to college he was a starter from mid freshman year. Over his college career he started at seven different positions.

The smartest thing I ever did was coaching his 13u to 16u travel team he played the position the pitcher came from except when he was the pitcher.

The bottom line is be athletic. But catching and pitching take special focus. If his high school varsity future is at catcher give it extra attention.

Last edited by RJM

Thanks - he's been a top of the order switch hitter the last couple of seasons....

Love it!  Keep hitting both ways until someone (like college level) tells him not to.

The coach will put him where he needs him. 

keewartson played MIF in travel ball with some stints early on in OF.  Played ss in high school.  In college, the coach moved him to 2B, with some time at SS as needed.  During the recruiting process, the college coach said he would recruit a whole team of short stops if he could.

Now, he plays  1B, 3B, LF, RF and some 2B.  If you can hit, they will find a place for you.

What I guess I am trying to say is, don't be dead set on one position, but like Smitty28 said, have a primary and secondary position.

My son is primarily a catcher but plays all over except for 1st base (due to his size/height).  He typically plays 3rd base, 2nd base and centerfield when not catching.  His PG profile lists C/MIF/3B/OF/UTIL.  This became a factor during college recruitment process as his ability to be a utility player and play other positions well was one of the reasons the colleges that talked to him was interested.

@atlnon posted:

My son is primarily a catcher but plays all over except for 1st base (due to his size/height).  He typically plays 3rd base, 2nd base and centerfield when not catching.  His PG profile lists C/MIF/3B/OF/UTIL.  This became a factor during college recruitment process as his ability to be a utility player and play other positions well was one of the reasons the colleges that talked to him was interested.

Is position still self reported on PG?  If so I would simplify that list to: "SS".

@keewart posted:

Love it!  Keep hitting both ways until someone (like college level) tells him not to.

The coach will put him where he needs him.

Thanks.  He's been very successful hitting this way, but it's been a total commitment.

Interesting to hear all of the different viewpoints.  I think high school is the first point where he feels like he is being repeatedly asked to "declare" a position...usually, in the past, he just played where the coach and team needed him (no need to "claim" a position), although catching definitely seems to require a special focus.   He focused on primarily catching for years, but it does seem a bit of a waste of speed.  The positions he was physically suited for just 2 years ago (as a generally smaller and usually younger player on the team), though, are no longer necessarily the positions he is suited for now (relatively taller and quite a bit stronger), so that has been a bit of a surprise. 

Thanks - he's been a top of the order switch hitter the last couple of seasons, so he already spends a good amount of time in batting practice.   I think his heart was set on the outfield, but now I can tell that he is wondering how to spend his fielding practice time.

Is that with his HS team? Make sure the HS coach likes his swing and approach. Is he a varsity level player?

@2022NYC posted:

Is that with his HS team? Make sure the HS coach likes his swing and approach. Is he a varsity level player?

Nope, he's a freshman and the high school has not yet had its tryouts for this coming year.  He's been playing full time travel for the past several years.  He did attend the high school summer camp last summer, hit as he normally does, and it sounded like the coach liked his swing.   He's also on a travel team.

I doubt that any freshman will be put on the high school varsity team from the sounds of it and they will have multiple baseball teams.  Historically, that's just not how this high school rolls according to just about everyone we've spoken with. 

Thanks.  He's been very successful hitting this way, but it's been a total commitment.

Interesting to hear all of the different viewpoints.  I think high school is the first point where he feels like he is being repeatedly asked to "declare" a position...usually, in the past, he just played where the coach and team needed him (no need to "claim" a position), although catching definitely seems to require a special focus.   He focused on primarily catching for years, but it does seem a bit of a waste of speed.  The positions he was physically suited for just 2 years ago (as a generally smaller and usually younger player on the team), though, are no longer necessarily the positions he is suited for now (relatively taller and quite a bit stronger), so that has been a bit of a surprise.

When my son played 9\10 rec and 9u and 10u travel all he wanted to do was catch. It put him in the middle of the game every pitch. In 11/12's I convinced him to play some short. But he caught for two years in all stars. All along I told him he's too fast to catch. Plus, he'll take a beating that will affect his hitting.

In 12yo LL all stars he took a beating. He got a concussion getting clubbed by a back swing. He was black and blue up and down his arms from foul balls and catching a 75 mph, wild, 12yo pitcher. After all stars my son told me I was right. He played short in middle school. He never told the middle school coach he had caught.

@2022NYC posted:

How competitive is the HS baseball team? Does it have freshman, JV and Varsity teams? Some schools cut a lot of travel players due to the size of the talent pool. Being a top of the lineup hitter is great, can he consistently turn on a mid 80s fb?

This is a very large high school in a community where baseball is EXTREMELY popular and varsity team is generally quite competitive.  Last year they were in the state finals.  HS always fields frosh/frosh-soph/JV/varsity teams every single year - we are told freshman simply are not even considered for the varsity team.  Some freshman will not make any team this year, many sophomores, and even more juniors and seniors will not make a team this year.  Since we understand this to be the way it is, he will do his best, likely make a team other than varsity , and continue to develop and play travel, as well.

School ball is new to us, as there is no middle school baseball team.  Locally, it is either house league, part-time travel, or full-time travel as a youth player up through 14U ball.  From what we hear, the full-time travel he's been exposed to is likely more competitive than many of the school teams he will face.  He's not had difficulty with any fb.  Happy to share a clip privately if anyone is truly curious.

As everyone referred above, if he hits he will play.  D1 college HC told us during recruiting "if he can hit like we've seen, we will find a place for him to play everyday".  HC kept his word.  Travel ball son played SS, 2nd, 3rd, C, P, and CF.  High school he played every game for 4 years, at 2nd, SS, CF.  College every game was CF, LF, RF, 2nd.  MLB plays LF, 1st, MI.  To summarize, coach will put you where they need you based on team.  Learn as many positions as possible in HS, it will make you that much more desirable if he continues to the next level.  It will take extra work to put in additional practices playing different positions so not to get rusty, but will be worth it.

One of the nice things about climbing the "ladder" in baseball is that you tend to come into contact with ever-more-knowledgeable baseball people. If a player shows sufficient aptitude and passion for the game, good advice will often come his way from knowledgeable people who take an interest in his progress in the sport. When  it does, listen to it.

I'm reminded of Buster Posey when he was at Florida State. A Freshman All-American at shortstop, the well-publicized story is that Mike Martin, Jr. and another assistant went to Mike Martin, Sr. with the suggestion that he move from shortstop to catcher. What is less publicized but was pretty well known in college circles at the time was that the FSU assistants had listened to several professional scouts who had come to them with the idea. The rest as they say is history.

Especially if it's a really competitive Varsity team, it is to your son's benefit  to be able to play multiple positions and "hit" himself into the lineup. RipkenFan Son started 6 positions in HS (all but 1b, P & C). In both HS and Legion to an extent, he played with a number of players who were not as versatile. I used to kid him about what it was like to be the "fastest thirdbaseman" in the state when he was put there. Varsity coaches will often play seniors more, though insert underclassmen where there are spots to fill. Son used to bring both Infield and Outfield mitts to college showcases.

Son often said that his mindset was that of a MI, though he could play outfield. The college where he landed told him they recruited him as an "athletic infielder who could play OF." In college he played 2B & SS primarily., some CF in scrimmages.

Now last year he played 2B, SS, 3B, CF and LF with a team that values versatility.

To summarize, stay versatile, keep your hitting solid, and enjoy the game!

Last edited by Ripken Fan

As he continues to move up and competition becomes stronger, the versatility will likely be helpful in finding a spot in the starting lineup at some point.  Coachability, flexibility and the willingness to give full effort wherever needed is important.  On the other side, however, a C in HS can miss some opportunities for BP and fielding practice elsewhere due to the frequent need for C's to catch pens.

For now, he should go where needed and jump in with full commitment, wherever that may be.

Any positions you can play will help, especially if college is the goal.  My son was an all state SS and also a very good pitcher in HS.  He was recruited by a couple schools as an IF, but took an offer as a PO at a mid-major with an "opportunity to get work in IF".  That never really happened though he did finally get some AB's at DH as a junior.  Senior year he had an arm issue and didn't throw an inning.  Started quite a bit at DH and ended up playing (for the first time ever) some 1B.  3/4 of the way thru the season he was hitting .370 and leading the team in hits and RBI's.  Ended up at .320 after basically not hitting for 3 previous seasons.  As others have said...if you can hit, they'll find a spot for you.

Be as versatile as you can.  Youngest son was definitely a pitcher being LH and knew that was his journey to the next level and maybe next level after that.  But he did what he needed to do for his team.  His freshman and sophomore years in HS he played SS and C when he was not pitching.  We worked hard for 3 weeks to get him where he could figure out how to field balls at SS and throw to first.  Had 1 error in 2 years and made some incredible plays.  The catching part was easy because he had caught growing up.  I do not see the disadvantage of a LH catcher.  You just have to do it differently than a RH catcher.  It was funny when colleges would ask where he played in HS when he was not pitching and we would laugh and tell them.  The coaches always wanted to know how he did certain aspects and several asked him to go to the field and show them.  I think it actually helped his recruiting because they knew he was an athlete.  His bat was very good in HS but has never actually taken an official swing in college even though he takes bp and has been on-deck several times.  Being a bullpen guy kinda interferes with ever hitting especially with the bats we have had at UT.

When our American teams travel International to Japan, Australia and Korea. I select three Shortstops and 2 catchers for the 18 player team.

Out Coaches [Pro Scouts] with one day of practice will rotate the SS to 3b, 2b and CF.

Please if you are a SS or Catcher learn the position to the highest level. "Learn to read the hitter's bat".

Bob

Hitting is what HS coaches seem to care about most, so if there is a better hitter in his primary position, he will not play it.  This to me is a shame as I find far more games lost to poor defense in the core up the middle positions than lack of offense.  so if he wants to play make sure he hits well and can play multiple positions, honestly he won't need to be able to play them super well (just field a grounder and track a fly).  As far as core position focus, I think that really only applies to those positions you are 1. pigeon holed into (first base - so many nuances to this position that aren't taught and demand better players) or 2. those that demand specific skills and knowledge (Catcher,Pitcher) - but still need a backup position.

Third, right and left are your fill in positions, everything else demands top defensive ability.  I know a bad team and poor coaching when I see 6 guys listed as 1st baseman/DH's and 3 more at 3rd/DH.

@HSDad22 posted:

Hitting is what HS coaches seem to care about most, so if there is a better hitter in his primary position, he will not play it.  This to me is a shame as I find far more games lost to poor defense in the core up the middle positions than lack of offense.  so if he wants to play make sure he hits well and can play multiple positions, honestly he won't need to be able to play them super well (just field a grounder and track a fly).  As far as core position focus, I think that really only applies to those positions you are 1. pigeon holed into (first base - so many nuances to this position that aren't taught and demand better players) or 2. those that demand specific skills and knowledge (Catcher,Pitcher) - but still need a backup position.

Third, right and left are your fill in positions, everything else demands top defensive ability.  I know a bad team and poor coaching when I see 6 guys listed as 1st baseman/DH's and 3 more at 3rd/DH.

I wonder what really wins more games from an objective standpoint???

Good hitting and great defense  - or - Great hitting and good defense

(this is of course assuming both sides have equal pitching talent)

fyi: It's been my experience that the hitting team always has the edge... crooked numbers are real hard to deal with

Regarding positions in HS, know them all.  Obviously lefties are limiited.  Had a kid who'd been playing only IF in rec/travel/middle school say at a practice, they only know IF.  I told them if you want to play in HS, you better learn as much much as you can wherever you can.  Hitting will get you more opportunities, but you should never pigeonhole your abilities to a subset.  Coaches like players they feel confident they can put anywhere. 

7 years of varsity HS ball between 2 boys.........

In 3 years oldest never played 2nd.

In 4 years youngest never played 3rd.  1st round playoffs of Freshman year, coach said "you're at 2nd".  Had never played there all year (was in OF, or SS, or P).  Wanted best bats and "players" on the field. 

Play anywhere your asked, or you might not get asked.  Do your best and ask questions. 

I wonder what really wins more games from an objective standpoint???

Good hitting and great defense  - or - Great hitting and good defense

(this is of course assuming both sides have equal pitching talent)

fyi: It's been my experience that the hitting team always has the edge... crooked numbers are real hard to deal with

From an objective standpoint I would say, without a doubt, what wins the most games is really good pitching combined with a better than average catcher. Hitting and defense are not the highest priorities. You have to score runs to win but there are a lot of ways to do that without having great hitters. There is no way to win if you can’t throw strikes, can’t get outs, and the ball is constantly rolling to the backstop.

Adbono:

You remember Joe Morgan? The SF Giants suggested that I coordinate a Winter Clinic for the young players of the SF Bay Area.

Joe, A Giants coach was to talk on "Base Running" & Base Stealing. He stepped to the PA  and said "I can speak for 10 minutes or 10 hours".

When our team played teams from the East Bay the pace of the game was changed not in our favor. After our games, I ask the opposing coach what was his secret.

Bob; he said; "when I coach 3b the "green" light is on for the runners [fast or slow} until I show the stop sign".

The key is touching the inside of the bases and mentally thinking  two. No more "station to station".

Bob

Last edited by Consultant
@Consultant posted:

Adbono:

You remember Joe Morgan? The SF Giants suggested that I coordinate a Winter Clinic for the young players of the SF Bay Area.

Joe, A Giants coach was to talk on "Base Running" & Base Stealing. He stepped to the PA  and said "I can speak for 10 minutes or 10 hours".

When our team played teams from the East Bay the pace of the game was changed not in our favor. After our games, I ask the opposing coach what was his secret.

Bob; he said; "when I coach 3b the "green" light is on for the runners [fast or slow} until I show the stop sign".

The key is touching the inside of the bases and mentally thinking  two. No more "station to station".

Bob

You get a double/triple out of the box, not when you see the ball get passed the OF.

I hired a couple of Big Ten SS and CF players to work with my boys when they were 8-10ish....goal was to teach them skills and most importantly have fun along the way.  I told the college guys I don't care if you only work on something 20m out of 60m I'm paying you the same rate.  Play games, get the gatorade going, laugh.  Boy. this went along way toward their development and enjoyment of the game.  I figured focus on the middle of the field where the best athletes play.  If you gain those skills and recruit the necessary athleticsm you'll likely find yourself on the field.  OF course, hitting is a separate thing, and always the key of staying in the lineup.  We worked hard on that as well.

It all worked out.  I - they had zero control over where the coach wants to put you.  "Hustle and go be the best you can be that day, and be the best teammate you can be."

GOV;

very true. As a College Coach and International Coach, I selected my roster for "inner defense". Catcher, SS, 2b and CF. The fungo is the "conductor's baton".

Left, right, left, right, no soft grounder or fly balls. No backhand, unless it is at max extension. 1b must know the range limits of the 2B.

My bible was the Seattle Mariners "playbook"

Bob

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.