Skip to main content

What Prepster said.  Even if "board real estate" was limited, your chronicles of the experience would be WELL worth occupancy as this is something that comes up frequently.  It can be extremely difficult to deal with and navigate and you are telling the story with such great detail and honest emotion, providing very useful information and experience.  Continued best.

Thanks Prepster, Cabbage, 3and2, and everyone else who have lent supportive words and thoughts! It means a lot, truly.

To Prepster's question; yes, his physical therapist is experienced in baseball shoulder injury recovery and I think we're in very good hands on that front. I agree that doing what is prescribed, as precisely as possible, is very much key to a full recovery. I'll have to really watch my son as he'll have a tendency to want to do more, not necessarily because he thinks it will speed up rehab but because he'll feel like he just can. I've been warned about this multiple times.

One other small update; we did get a response from the coach that I mentioned earlier and he said that they're still looking for two catchers to replace their graduating seniors and Teq Jr. is on the list of potential guys to do that. He also strongly suggested that he visit campus to find out if the environment is somewhere he can see himself at during his college years. To me, that was a very positive response, especially given that my son told him what his expected recovery time would be. Sounds like I'm going to be scheduling a trip soon!

Thanks again to everyone for the support. I'll update in a couple of weeks.

Three weeks post-op update:  The boy is doing pretty well with very little pain other than soreness from PT, which he's starting his second week of. Mostly range of motion exercises which are fairly small movements and pretty boring to him but progress here can't be rushed at any cost.

The other day we were talking about the road to recovery, from a baseball perspective, and I brought up things like fatigue when receiving, blocking, etc. and how his body would remember the training he's done for years but the endurance aspect will take a while. He promptly told me that he isn't even thinking about that stuff right now. He just wants to get back to doing things like being able to sleep on his side/front. That gave me some perspective.

He's got three more weeks in his sling, which means three more weeks without driving. I'm not sure any of us thought through that one all the way. He's been driving on his own since he was 15 so we're having to re-discover the logistics of carting him around everywhere.

He and I are headed up to small D3 in the NWC the first week in October to meet/interview with admissions, sit him in a class, tour the campus with the HC, watch a baseball scrimmage, and hang around for the football homecoming game so that should be a nice trip to break up the monotony and everyday frustration for him. It's also good for him mentally that we're doing this at the request of the coach, who also set everything up for him for the visit. Good to know that there is still interest even with the coach knowing about the injury and rehab time.

The struggle now has become 99% mental so we're just trying to maintain positivity for his sake. He's got a great team of coaches, trainers, family, and friends around him so I think everything is going to be just fine. As I like to reiterate with each post, I hope this may help someone in a similar situation at some point. Thanks to all for the continued support!

Last edited by tequila

Hi folks, I thought I’d post an update nearly seven weeks post-op. As of this past Monday, my son is out of his sling and has been cleared to do anything he does in PT on his own, if he so desires. He can also resume working out his lower body, minus anything that would put stress on the shoulder like front or back squats with a bar. After his workout Monday he was in the best mood I’ve seen him since the surgery, and has pretty much maintained that since. As I’ve stated before, it seems the mental aspect has been the toughest part of this for him. He goes back in five weeks to hopefully get cleared to start a light throwing program but we haven’t gotten any direction on hitting, catching, or any further workout timelines other than the PT Rx.

On the recruiting front, he’s managed to somehow maintain the interest of, and dialog with, three head coaches – a D2, D3, and NAIA. We visited the D3 this past weekend and he did the admissions interview, coach meeting/tour, class visit, baseball practice, and homecoming football game. This school is his first choice but also one of the most expensive, and the coaches know that. His pre-read came back with a recommendation to apply RD to “strengthen his application” and I think this is because they know that affordability is paramount for us here rather than any difficulty getting in i.e. a stronger app would result in higher merit aid. The D2 I think would be a great fit but is essentially a walk-on opportunity (with potential for money later) if extended, though I’m told once a spot is secured there are no cuts other than for disciplinary or academic reasons. The coach has expressed that he would like to get him up for a workout and some hitting in December if possible. He’s seen him once at camp and also had him up for junior day earlier in the year. The NAIA HC also has seen him at a camp and wants to get him on campus but we’re not sure the school would be as good of a fit.

All in all, my recommended takeaway at this time is POSITIVITY and strict adherence to the recovery plan outlined by the surgeon and physical therapist. Thanks to everyone for the continued support!

For those of you following my son's story-line, and any others who may want to chime in, I'm actually looking for a bit of advice in this post.

*Quick update though;  recovery is going well (nine weeks post op). Ongoing PT increasing in range and weight. He's able to work his lower body in whatever way he chooses (short of anything that requires holding weight like bar squats, etc.) so that has been huge. He goes back 11/19 to get cleared for light throwing and hopefully to start swinging a whiffle ball bat.

Back to my request for input - I may have mentioned somewhere that we had a plan A, and a plan B, but we didn't really have a plan C, which is what this injury would have required. I hate to advise anyone to have an injury plan but it would have helped had we had some idea of our course of action in the event. Suffice it to say, it changed much about the application process which, as many of you know, involves forms, processes, letters of recommendation, tax information, transcripts, test scores, essays, emails, phone calls, visits, and deadlines. On the athletic side, it changed our entire 2018 summer and fall schedule which would have involved quite a few events in front of college coaches, hopefully some requests for him to apply early admission, and maybe an NLI. As it stands, he's only applying EA at two schools primarily because these are two coaches who are still interested in his potential in their programs. The big unknown, and crux of my question, is what happens if neither of those result in an offer or, in one of the cases, a financial aid package that will work for us? There are a couple of other schools where there is interest but they are a bit lower on the totem pole of preference for my son. One of them has told us that they pretty much recruit right up until the last possible minute, so that is encouraging, but I'm curious what anyone might think about how to get attention when my son essentially can't play until Feb/Mar of 2019. My assumption is that he'd continue to email coaches until the path is clearly closed but I feel like that's sort of throwing an empty hook in the water without a real plan of action. I've probably also mentioned before that the boy is not interested in the juco route. This isn't because he thinks he's too good, rather it's because baseball isn't #1 on the importance scale and he doesn't want to transfer two years into college. We've also had a relatively difficult time finding any two year colleges that we feel have an academic line-up that meets the criteria that he wants.

I'd be very appreciative of any thoughts on a strategy or any insight based on similar experiences. Thanks for everyone's continued support through this. It's been tough at times but we're going to ride it out until the horse is completely dead.

You and your son caught a terrible break, as shoulder injuries/surgery are very difficult to overcome.  I know neither of you want to hear this, but I would focus on academics and getting into the top schools of his choice.  That, it itself, is very difficult.

You will get an idea of the financial aide package using the school’s calculator.  As you complete them, if you say to yourself “no way” upon seeing the result, rest assured it will be “yes way”

My oldest, HA/no sport student, applied to 12 schools and got into about half.  I think all non-athletes need to be prepared for that volume and results.

If his accepting schools end up with a baseball opportunity in year one, that’s great.  If not, he can look after that year or realize, it’s not as important if he loves the school he’s at.

I wish my response was more positive, but I just think it will be difficult for your son to be offered a roster spot, coming off such an injury.

Best of luck Tequila, hope I’m wrong!

Thanks CTbballDad, and I appreciate your directness. We are prepared for an outcome that doesn't involve baseball though it will be a huge bummer. The outlet and enjoyment that it has provided my son will not be able to be directly replaced but he had the good fortune of finding the gym a couple of years ago, and I daresay, likes it with almost as much vigor. Also, his surgeon did a very good job prepping us for the fact that he may never return to form or the injury may recur. My son simply did not want to look back thinking that he didn't try everything he could. I think college baseball for him right now depends on a couple of things: 1) playing pain free and at, or above, the level prior to the injury, 2) a coach willing to take a chance, and 3) some luck thrown in there. I probably shouldn't say it, as just a proud parent, but I feel that if #1 happens that #2 will get an absolute steal. The kid already has a couple of stories of adversity that he's come out on top of, as it relates to baseball, so I feel that if it's possible, he's one that can do it. Thanks again for the feedback!

I would advise my son to apply to all the schools that have expressed interest (it sounds like this is 3 or 4), plus some additional schools he'd have interest in attending.  I'm assuming these are D3s which would still have roster flexibility.  I don't think there's anything he can do baseball-wise between now and the end of December (most application deadlines) so the focus is on getting into schools he'd like to attend.  Once he gets accepted and you've sorted the financial side, he's got till May 1 to make a decision, and he can use this time to engage coaches and get stronger interest via spring baseball.

Smitty28 posted:

I would advise my son to apply to all the schools that have expressed interest (it sounds like this is 3 or 4), plus some additional schools he'd have interest in attending.  I'm assuming these are D3s which would still have roster flexibility.  I don't think there's anything he can do baseball-wise between now and the end of December (most application deadlines) so the focus is on getting into schools he'd like to attend.  Once he gets accepted and you've sorted the financial side, he's got till May 1 to make a decision, and he can use this time to engage coaches and get stronger interest via spring baseball.

Thanks Smitty! That's plain and simple and essentially the path he's on. Right now there are two D3s, a D2, and an NAIA that have expressed ongoing interest. The D2 wants him to come up and work out in December but realistically it will probably be January before he's able to do that. They've seen him before and evidently they've got a spot for a catcher in his class (no money but with the opportunity to work into it). One of the D3s (his top choice) might not work out financially but if a roster spot offer is forthcoming, all indications are that it will be within the next few weeks. That will be a difficult decision if that happens without a FA package in our hands. Thanks again for the response!

I think it might be best to call the coaches of the interested schools and see where they stand. I wouldn't want to wait another 4/5 months until March to get an answer you can get now. Your son won't be playing and with the exception of the D2, they won't be seeing him play anyway. 

Something to consider - You say baseball is not at the top of the totem pole. But unless your son is being offered money at the D2/NAIA why not just apply to schools as a regular student and try to walk on? I'm not here to put down a D2 or NAIA education, but very few are known to have quality academics. With your sons scores/grades it might be more beneficial to him to apply to some D3s and look to walk-on when healthy. With the expanded rosters/your son being a catcher there is a very good chance he finds a spot somewhere. Just know that your son is coming back from a serious injury, if he gets reinjured or isn't the same - are these schools he would want to attend without baseball? 

Last edited by PABaseball

Thanks PABaseball, those are some great points and definitely worth considering walking on at a D3. Yes, all of the schools he is considering applying to are places he thinks he would be happy at without baseball. The NAIA that I mentioned is the only one that was never really in the conversation. The connection there is that the PC at the D2 left and became the HC at the NAIA and my son really likes him so conversations sort of carried over. I ultimately don't think it's a great fit for him but I don't see any reason to rule it out until we have gone through the process with them. It's part of the whole "go where you're wanted" mentality. Thanks again for the advice!

For those interested, here is my son’s update 12 weeks post-op:

1. Posterior cuff is tight so PT is to ramp up stretching in that area.
  2. Cleared to begin swinging with a whiffle ball and bat but we need to get clarification on what the progression is with that.
  3. Ortho surgeon provided my son with a throwing program that can begin one month from today.
  4. Upper body strength training can increase but nothing too wide or too narrow. Doc said just do things that “make sense.”
  5. Next follow-up visit is two months from today.

Hanging in there!

For those interested, here is my son’s update four months post-op:

1. He has been swinging a whiffle ball bat off the tee and is cleared to proceed to a regular bat as soon as he can go a week at full speed with no pain.
  2. Throwing program began yesterday and it is a little conservative on the front end. If he does well he can progress faster but the thought is if you start too fast you can’t go backwards.
  3. Posterior capsule is still tight and range of motion is not 100% but PT says that’s not a terribly big deal for him right now since his throwing motion is that of a catcher. The work on that continues.
  4. General workouts have expanded out to heavier multi-joint movements but the focus is primarily getting his lower body really strong (squat, dead lift, lunge, kettle ball carry, etc.).
  5. Cleared for running at 75%.
  6. Cleared for all other catching specific work (blocking, shift, transfer, popups, etc.)

As a side note – and on the recruiting front – he has applied to six schools (five D3 - one D2), been accepted to four (with one coach extending an “offer” and three others with expressed interest), and is awaiting packets from the remaining two. The biggest hurdle for us right now, outside his recovery process, is haggling with the financial aid offices at each of these institutions to try to find more money. I guess it’s a good lesson for him about how the rest of life will work.

¡Salud!

For those following, here is my son’s update five months post-op:

1. Swinging a bat at full speed with no pain.
  2. 5th week of throwing program and cleared to proceed to completion as scheduled.
  3. Cleared for plyo ball work, etc.
  4. PT continuing with emphasis on sleeper & posterior capsule stretches.
  5. Cleared for overhead weight training.
  6. Cleared for running at 100%.

Key takeaways at this point are to adhere to the prescribed rehab plan to a T and don't rush anything. My son's goal is the be ready for the first game of the season, which is on 2/25. However, this is not a critical milestone by any means. If he's ready by the first conference game, or mid-season, we're completely fine with that too. I'm very pleased with how he's handled the entire process and could not be more proud of the kid.

On the recruiting front, accepted to 100% of schools applied. First choice has been eliminated due to cost, next two on the list are both expressing "commitment" on the baseball side. #3 has arrived at a number that we can afford, with the financial aid jury still out on #2 (now #1 on the list).

FWIW, I'm always open to specific questions anyone might have about this process in case you're going through something similar. I'm trying to keep these updates as short and relevant as possible so as to not to take up more space in the digital sphere than necessary. Thanks for everyone's continued support.

¡Salud!

For all the parents out there with kids who have had shoulder surgery, I cant fully explain what a painful surgery this is.  I am 10 weeks post op for a complete rotator cuff tear, torn labrum and bone spurs.  Still in a sling and hope to be out in 2 weeks to start rehab.  I have had multiple knee operations, gall bladder, broken bones and surgery on my foot.  NOTHING compares to the pain that I had from the shoulder.  Doctor told me it would be really bad but I thought it was just so when it didnt hurt so much I would think he was the greatest ever!  I was wrong! 

Long story short, encourage and support your kids going thru shoulder issues and be understanding of the potential mood swings and watch for depression as that is a very real possibility.  Also - Don't rush rehab or getting back out on the field.  Much better success rates by following protocol and working really hard at the rehab.  I hope recoveries go well and that all your son's have healthy seasons.

cabbagedad posted:

Wow, that's a hellofa lot of good news, Tequila, congrats to him !!!  

Curious, about how hard (% effort), far is he throwing at this stage?  Does his throwing motion/arm angle look the same as pre-injury?

Thanks Cabbage! I believe he's still at 50%....this doesn't increase until week seven if memory serves. I'm somewhat embarrassed to say but I don't really know about his motion/angle because he's been doing this either at PT, practice, or the gym. I've only thrown with him once, early on, and I didn't notice anything remarkably different.

Back with what has become my monthly post on my son's journey, for those following. Things are not fantastic in the tequila household but still really just first-world problems.

Son's throwing program is technically "complete" but these things are considered variable, especially at the end. He has had pain throwing at max effort, which we're told by ortho and PT is normal, so he's continuing to stretch it out at less than max effort to build on what he's been doing.

PT continues as well and he was told that he's done everything he's supposed to and on track.

First HS game is Monday and his coach wants him to play his position if docs and parents are ok with it (which we are), with the understanding that throws will not be max effort, or even anywhere near for the longer ones (2B), if he throws at all (which he probably will not). Evidently his potential contributions on offense and defense outweigh any diminished control of the running game but it's just an early season tourney and matters not at all.

The college decision is where the real difficulty is at home right now. He visited a local school, for the third time, that really would like him to play, and he's just doesn't think he'd want to go there if baseball wasn't in the picture, which he may not know for months based on how his arm comes back. The problem is that he essentially has no other realistic offers, we think mostly because of the timing of all this i.e. completely missed this past summer and fall from a recruiting standpoint. A school he'd really like to attend said they can always use more catchers but he would likely be competing with two other freshman for the backup position, with a stud sophomore in front of him. Yeah...no. If he goes there it will probably be without baseball, which is perfectly fine with me but he's having a hell of a time making a decision. The D2 that was looking at him got tired of waiting and picked up a catcher in his class. His #1 choice couldn't get the money right. He's actually thinking of some routes now that were not in the mix before in the form of schools with rolling admissions, etc. I'm struggling a bit with what message to deliver to him right now but remain positive with a realistic twist, or maybe vice versa.

I don't know if anyone has ever heard of a kid getting picked up during/after his senior season (that wasn't a pitcher and/or not by a juco) but any stories, and of course advice, would be welcome. Needless to say, I'm secretly preparing myself for the end of baseball for him, which is sad but not the end of the world by any means. If he is able to play on then I figure we're in the bonus!

Thanks to all and take care!

If your son wants to continue to play at the college level, I suggest he reaches out to the local JUCO coaches and find out where they are at with their catching depth.

It's a Great opportunity for a 2019 Catcher coming off of shoulder surgery. It allows time to sort of hit the re-set button post surgery and most reputable JUCO Head Coaches do a good job placing their better players in four year schools

I don't know the whole situation but, if money is a factor, why not consider the juco route? From what I understand he was considering D2s/NAIA - not high academic schools. Save some money, get healthy and then transfer to a 4 year. I don't know if these schools are public/private, but even if baseball out of the picture, that is two years of tuition saved. 

Tequila, I feel for you and your son, I really do.  But having two kids in college (non-athletes) and seeing so many kids my 2019 has grown up with go on to college to play baseball, I've gained perspective.  I would lean strongly towards going to a school he wants to be at.  I have seen so many kids go to schools only to be redshirted and cut, or cut straight away in the fall of freshman year, or decide they don't like the school and come home, etc.  Honestly, most kids don't make it as a ball player 3 or 4 years anyway.  The kids that seem most successful and happy (with or without baseball) go to schools they love and have great all-around experiences.  I think one of the best pieces of advice I got here on HSBBW was to have your son go to a school he'd want to go to with or without baseball.  This, and academic quality, were the two guard rails we put on my 2019's college selection.

One other thought - he's a catcher, so no doubt he can play other positions.  If he can hit the coach will find a spot for him.  Lots of kids get recruited as catchers and end up playing elsewhere.

PABaseball posted:

I don't know the whole situation but, if money is a factor, why not consider the juco route? From what I understand he was considering D2s/NAIA - not high academic schools. Save some money, get healthy and then transfer to a 4 year. I don't know if these schools are public/private, but even if baseball out of the picture, that is two years of tuition saved. 

Thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts PA. It's much appreciated! He actually has been looking primarily at higher academic schools, mostly D3s, and all private. The D2 that had interest is a pretty good school academically as well but we really haven't seriously looked at the juco route for a few reasons: 1) we do not feel it would put him in the type of learning environment that he wants to be in, 2) baseball is not the #1 priority, and 3) he has expressed that he doesn't want to transfer in the middle of his undergraduate education unless there is no other choice. There's much more to this conversation but that's crux of it. I'm sure this will all work out but it's definitely trying my patience at the moment. Thanks again!

Smitty28 posted:

Tequila, I feel for you and your son, I really do.  But having two kids in college (non-athletes) and seeing so many kids my 2019 has grown up with go on to college to play baseball, I've gained perspective.  I would lean strongly towards going to a school he wants to be at.  I have seen so many kids go to schools only to be redshirted and cut, or cut straight away in the fall of freshman year, or decide they don't like the school and come home, etc.  Honestly, most kids don't make it as a ball player 3 or 4 years anyway.  The kids that seem most successful and happy (with or without baseball) go to schools they love and have great all-around experiences.  I think one of the best pieces of advice I got here on HSBBW was to have your son go to a school he'd want to go to with or without baseball.  This, and academic quality, were the two guard rails we put on my 2019's college selection.

One other thought - he's a catcher, so no doubt he can play other positions.  If he can hit the coach will find a spot for him.  Lots of kids get recruited as catchers and end up playing elsewhere.

Thanks Smitty for the thoughtful response and ideas! Every situation has it's own set of circumstances and nuances and ours is no different. One thing that has been big on my son's list of requirements is that he wants to go out of state. The interesting thing there is that I don't think he knows specifically why. Where we find ourselves is with him having a fantastic opportunity at a local D3 with the only real drawback being that it's local. If you picked the school up and put it in virtually any other state he'd have already committed and we'd have put down a deposit. So, his mother and I are encouraging him to look at what he will be getting out of the situation, the cost savings, programs available at the school, history of student success post-graduation, etc. etc. Our feeling at this point is that he should commit and give it a year (or even a semester if his injury returns or rehab doesn't progress) and transfer if he's unhappy. It's a D3 (no roster limits) and the coaches love him so it's unlikely that he'll get the boot from the team even if he doesn't return to form. He just wouldn't be playing and would likely make the decision himself that he's done. However, it's his decision but I will say that the other school in the mix that he's deciding between is very similar in academic make-up, size, cost (though about $5K/yr more), etc. but it's an eight hour drive from us (like we're going to be dropping in on him regularly anyway). Heck they're even in the same athletic conference but it just doesn't feel to me that he's using the highest level of maturity in evaluating the pros and cons. Time will tell but I've rambled on enough. Thanks again for all the input! Another testament to why this site is so great.

tequila posted:

I don't know if anyone has ever heard of a kid getting picked up during/after his senior season (that wasn't a pitcher and/or not by a juco) but any stories, and of course advice, would be welcome. Needless to say, I'm secretly preparing myself for the end of baseball for him, which is sad but not the end of the world by any means. If he is able to play on then I figure we're in the bonus!

I know a 2018 OF who tore his labrum June after junior year (so similar to your son's timing) -- obviously missed summer and fall recruiting. Had surgery in September (after trying PT), went through re-hab, etc., but even in the Spring of senior year his arm wasn't fully recovered. He took a different approach, I guess -- got admitted to a school he really wanted to attend (a P5), and walked onto the baseball team. Made the team, and just got his first AB this past weekend. Is walking on* a path that your son would consider? 

*to whatever level of program your son was targeting prior to the injury

Last edited by 2019Dad
2019Dad posted:

Is walking on* a path that your son would consider? 

*to whatever level of program your son was targeting prior to the injury

Thanks for the response 2019Dad. I believe that is a path he would consider. I'm not sure he'd be happy if he didn't have a realistic chance of contributing fairly quickly but it's certainly an option. Thanks for chiming in!

tequila posted:

Thanks Smitty for the thoughtful response and ideas! Every situation has it's own set of circumstances and nuances and ours is no different. One thing that has been big on my son's list of requirements is that he wants to go out of state. The interesting thing there is that I don't think he knows specifically why. Where we find ourselves is with him having a fantastic opportunity at a local D3 with the only real drawback being that it's local. If you picked the school up and put it in virtually any other state he'd have already committed and we'd have put down a deposit. So, his mother and I are encouraging him to look at what he will be getting out of the situation, the cost savings, programs available at the school, history of student success post-graduation, etc. etc. Our feeling at this point is that he should commit and give it a year (or even a semester if his injury returns or rehab doesn't progress) and transfer if he's unhappy. It's a D3 (no roster limits) and the coaches love him so it's unlikely that he'll get the boot from the team even if he doesn't return to form. He just wouldn't be playing and would likely make the decision himself that he's done. However, it's his decision but I will say that the other school in the mix that he's deciding between is very similar in academic make-up, size, cost (though about $5K/yr more), etc. but it's an eight hour drive from us (like we're going to be dropping in on him regularly anyway). Heck they're even in the same athletic conference but it just doesn't feel to me that he's using the highest level of maturity in evaluating the pros and cons. Time will tell but I've rambled on enough. Thanks again for all the input! Another testament to why this site is so great.

What's the hesitation with the D3 that's 8 hours from home? Is that the one with the stud sophomore? I understand the desire to get away from your hometown. I felt the same way when I started college. Fresh start away from the high school scene (and parents). With his injury situation, the baseball side is a complete unknown, and it sounds like he wouldn't want to be at the local school without baseball.
Talent is at a premium at every level. Particularly at D3, the best player at the position (whether recruited or not) is likely going to get the playing time. No guarantees anywhere. Always a freshman or transfer coming in to compete for your position.
I know that you know all of that... just trying to help.

MidAtlanticDad posted:

What's the hesitation with the D3 that's 8 hours from home? Is that the one with the stud sophomore? I understand the desire to get away from your hometown. I felt the same way when I started college. Fresh start away from the high school scene (and parents). With his injury situation, the baseball side is a complete unknown, and it sounds like he wouldn't want to be at the local school without baseball.
Talent is at a premium at every level. Particularly at D3, the best player at the position (whether recruited or not) is likely going to get the playing time. No guarantees anywhere. Always a freshman or transfer coming in to compete for your position.
I know that you know all of that... just trying to help.

Thanks MidAtlanticDad. The hesitation is twofold: 1) it's about $30K more over four years, and 2) as expressed to him by the coaches, he would be competing with two other incoming freshman for the backup role, with the sophomore starter in front of him. On top of that, the local school has expressed a strong desire for him there, and have gone above and beyond to show it, so it seems to be one of those fairly unique situations where "go where you're really wanted" is conflicting with "go where you want to go to school if baseball is not in the picture." Thanks so much for the input! I know we'll likely look back on this and laugh about the stress but it's definitely a large gorilla in the room at our house.

CTbballDad posted:

If he's going to a school 8 hours away, make sure there are transportation options that do not include you.  We put our daughter on a 10 hour train ride most of the time, which is miserable.  But no way I'm driving 10 hours, pay for a hotel, just to drive 10 hours back!!

Oh yeah for sure! He has his own vehicle, and they allow them there, so no real worries in that dept.

Just some insight, on another catches path, in same type of situation. Family friends son, had same injury Fall HS senior year. Ended up going to D3, walked on, was able to get a bullpen catcher slot. Worked his tail off, became the preferred bullpen guy for the staff pitchers. PC really liked the way he worked with the pitchers. Fall season of SO year, arm was back to full strength, they gave him a shot in the fall, ended up the starting catcher for the rest of his college career. As you know all paths are not the same, work your tail off and good things can happen. 

Just saw you made updates, I will continue to follow.

BishopLeftiesDad posted:

Has he had an overnight at the local school? It may give him a better idea what the day in a life is like. 

He has done an overnight, admissions dog & pony day, as well as a day of classes there. I think he's on the cusp of making a decision and I think it's going to be the out of state school, which is fine by me. As far as baseball goes, it doesn't change the rehab plans through spring and summer at all, since he's been welcomed to the team at both places. It just makes for what appears to be a tougher challenge for playing time at the out of state due to depth at his position. That said, his HS coach thinks this would be good for him since he's never really been challenged for his position in HS. I'm really fine either way but would much much rather see him off to school with a smile on his face and excited than going in with the idea of a transfer in the back of his mind.

Quick update here only because there is something to update

1. Son accepted offer of admission from a D3 eight hours away, and has also been invited to play baseball, so we could not be more pleased, given the circumstances. Additionally, he has decided to pursue a career in the U.S. Army and will be participating in the ROTC program at this college with hopes of obtaining a degree in either criminal justice or political science, and accepting a commission upon graduation. End goal being potentially employed by three letter acronym govt’ agency but we all know how these things change course many times in some cases. I mention all of this not only because I'm a proud dad but to highlight that it is not discouraged to take on a challenging academic schedule alongside a military science curriculum and athletics. In fact, we're told by the Army folks that participation in athletics is looked upon favorably when being evaluated for a scholarship. The coach at this particular school said that he had never had an athlete (at this institution) that has participated in ROTC but that he was certain that it would be worked out. My thinking was that it might even look good for the program but only time will tell how it all ends up. Again, we are proud and optimistic. My son has put much more thought, work, and planning into his path than I did at his age, and probably years later quite frankly.
  1. His HS team is six games in and he has caught two and DH'd in all but one (missed completely due to illness). He's not throwing in-game other than back to P and shorter distances like fielding bunts. This arrangement is between him and his coaches of course and he's handling it pretty well. There are certain games where they have expressed a need for his defensive abilities outside of throwing e.g. deep backstops, large foul territory, etc. Hitting has been solid and essentially unaffected by the injury.
  1. Throwing regimen currently consists of the following daily (except on some game days):
  • Basic warm up 10 min. Rest 2-3 min in between sets.
  • 120 ft x 10, easy throws - repeat x 1
  • 135 ft x 10, easy throws - repeat x 1
  • 90 ft x 10, 80% - repeat x 3
  • 60 ft x 10, 90% - repeat x 3

I was his partner yesterday (ouch) and he looked good. Said he's struggling with his release point yet there wasn't any pain after this session. PT is ongoing and his therapist will let him know when to progress which I suspect will be soon. Things are a bit fluid with throwing at this phase and are basically evaluated weekly and even daily. This has been a challenge because there is really no formula that can tell a kid when he’s ready. It’s all about pain/soreness (lack of), range of motion, and strength – and don’t hurry it. This has been key!

I hope this is, or will be, good info for others. It has certainly been an eye-opening experience for me.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.