Skip to main content

I am a senior in high school right now, and have recieved interest from a lot of very good academic schools. Unfortunately, all my top choices have told me I would not pass through admissions. A couple schools have suggested doing a PG year at a prep school to help raise my grades/develop even more for baseball.

I do have other options right now of schools that I would pass, but they wouldn't be my top choice, so I am seriously considering this option.

My question is if I did decide to do a 5th year of HS, what are the recruiting rules? I obviously have talked to coaches and they have contacted me. I also may be going on some official visits before I make that decision. Do I lose those visits for next year when I'm going through this same process next fall? If I attend a showcase or what not, am I considered an '08 grad? Can coaches call me throughout the year?

If anyone has any info on the rules, and how you are recuited after doing a PG year, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A post grad year may raise your grades for admissions...but what is going to keep you there? Grades!! So, logic says that if it is that tough to get in, it will be tough to stay in.
Give us a little more info on why you can't pass admissions...SAT's?, core courses?, Learning disability? Have you considered starting at a Juco, then transferring after 1-2 yrs.?
My son took a 5th year. He wanted to play basketball one more year and take a couple extra courses. We wanted him around for an extra year. It made no difference for getting a scholarship at a US school for baseball. He played one more year of Elite baseball as well. He didn't play HS baseball that year but worked to save money for school.
I think it is a great idea to get your marks up and get into the school you want to. Worry about staying there after you get in. Staying is often easyier than getting in.
baseballmom- I don't think I'd have trouble staying in. When I say "very good academic schools", I mean mostly Ivy's and other top notch schools. I have a 2.8/4.0 GPA and a 30 on my ACT. I've never gotten a D. If I could raise my GPA up to about a 3.0 or 3.1 in the next 2 years, they've said I would probably be in with my solid test scores. I also go to one of the most prestigous and difficult public high schools in the country which is taken into effect. My class rank in my high school is really what has hurt me most. Anyway, I realize how important college is and I would never allow myself to get kicked out. Not with the motivation of continuing to play baseball, and the top notch degree...

Also, a large part of my interest in a prep year is to gain velocity and grow a little more, and quite posibly move up into the next tier of baseball programs- not strictly for grades. If I were to gain 3-4 MPH, and grow an inch which is expected, I feel like my options would open up even more. Obviously it is expensive to go though, which gives cause for a debate. JUCO is an option, but I'm not sure I want to waste eligibility. Also, as it is with my grades and tests, I can get into a pretty decent school anyway, so I'm just not sure I want to settle for a Juco for one or two years. I just feel like I'd be better off with the PG year over Juco.

TRhit- So at what point in this fall do coaches stop calling me? If I decide on a PG year, and a coach were to call me, how does that work? Do you just let them know, and they'll know not to contact me till next July?

Thanks
Last edited by cubs2828
Ok, the info helps clarify the post grad posture. Core courses are the measuring stick for NCAA...Have you pulled those grades from the overall GPA? You may be at a 3.0.
And, you still have the remainder of this semester & next.
Growth is another issue. Velocity, again another issue, but quite attainable. There are only a few Jucos at the top...San Jacinto, in Houston has a great reputation for quality edu. & baseball.

We had a posrter whose son went to a pg in Fla.
Help me folks, was it Taratko whose son played at Bradenton? Check the subscribers list to see if you can email him. TRHit or Julie (Mn-Mom may have contact info.
Good luck!! Sounds like you've got your arms around it!
one pg year can cost as much as a year of college,and the pg schools we looked at don't have much money for baseball.usually hockey or basketball.but it's all school all the time.that will or can help your grades.but in the northeast your only going to play about 20 games.the school in bradenton was around $30,000.i think thats quite steap. but if money isn't an issue, only you know best.
We had an interesting situation. he was offered at spot on a HS in Georgia for a fifth year but he would have had to postpone graduation even though he had the courses. It was an exchange program and would cost nothing/ He was to live with his coach but he chose to stay at his HS and play an extra year of basketball. In our area it is free education until you are 21.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.