Skip to main content

Is it possible to do a post graduate year on your own and get recruited?

Post graduate programs are expensive. We conveniently live within commuting distance to a good R1 research institution university. Our player could in theory enroll part-time to not start the "clock", train on his own, and get a part-time job to save up some money. As a part-time student, he'd even be permitted to play for the club team. Would playing for the club team impact his eligibilty? Do you think he'd be recruitable? We're considering this as a backup option.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If your son enrolls part time in college you better check with the NCAA how many credit hours start the clock.

When my son was injured we looked at having him attend a local JuCo in the fall to maintain academic habits and showcase. At the time anything more than two full time classes would have started the clock.

As long as that school doesn’t consider him a full-time student, he could fall under the Delayed Enrollment rule (delay starting the 5 year clock for one year). I know that club ball would cost him a year of eligibility. I assume it would also start the 5 year clock, but I’m not certain on that. All of those issues are covered in section 8.1 of the D1 manual.

As long as that school doesn’t consider him a full-time student, he could fall under the Delayed Enrollment rule (delay starting the 5 year clock for one year). I know that club ball would cost him a year of eligibility. I assume it would also start the 5 year clock, but I’m not certain on that. All of those issues are covered in section 8.1 of the D1 manual.

Do you have a link to the D1 manual?

Is this the one you are referring to?https://www.ncaapublications.c...ctdownloads/D123.pdf

If so, check out 12.02.6.2: Participation on an Institution's Club Team. Participation on a collegiate institution's club team is exempted from the application of this legislation, provided the institution did not sponsor the sport on the varsity intercollegiate level at the time of participation. (Adopted: 6/24/09)

@Momball11 posted:

Is this the one you are referring to?https://www.ncaapublications.c...ctdownloads/D123.pdf

If so, check out 12.02.6.2: Participation on an Institution's Club Team. Participation on a collegiate institution's club team is exempted from the application of this legislation, provided the institution did not sponsor the sport on the varsity intercollegiate level at the time of participation. (Adopted: 6/24/09)

Right. Does the school you referred to not have a varsity baseball program?

Ah...I was reading it in the way that the institution did not sponsor the "club team" on the varsity level. I see now what you're saying. School near us does sponsor a varsity level team. So I suppose the club team would be out of the picture and he'd need to find a team to play on that is not affiliated with the school.

It looks like the part-time vs. full-time status is based on what the school defines it to be. So for RJM's son I guess the JUCO must of defined full-time at their school to be more than two courses.

Your son is a '24, right? Why think about PG now? No need for a PG year if he's looking at D2, D3, NAIA, juco, etc., they recruit summer before senior year, which is coming up.   Find a spot at a school that is right for him.

If he's aiming for D1, why is the answer not juco?  I think your son is not a pitcher, so he'd have to show he could hit college pitching.

I'm just researching all potential options, but he would certainly prefer finding a spot at a 4-year institution.

Juco is certainly not out of the picture. If he goes the JUCO route it would be about $15k/year and start the eligibility clock. This would mean eventually transferring into a 4-year school, which would also eliminate his eligibility for any freshman scholarship for academic merit. Freshman scholarships are typically more generous than those offered to transfers.

Part-time commuter student would cost about $8k/year and not-start the clock. But he could also work part-time, which would go towards reducing that $8k/year costs.

The fall team he played for and will play for again this coming fall primarily plays against JUCO and college programs, so he does have opportunities to demonstrate his hitting against college arms.

Not at all injured. Planning to do some showcasing/camps between now and the end of the year.

Primarily for him to get bigger, stronger, faster. He's still growing. Basically shaves peach fuzz once a month. It would also provide a window for him to transition into being a college student.

He really likes some schools well enough that if they asked him to wait a year, he would.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.