Skip to main content

Seeing the post from Young Guns earlier, it filled me with joy to see the success that his family is having.  In today's world, we have so many negatives happen, or brought up daily.  I thought it might be cool to have each of us post something cool that happened to them or their family in 2018.  

When Ryno left for college, I didn't have his activities to keep me busy, so I was completely bored.  My wife said that I should go back to school and get my MBA.  This was in the Fall of 2015.  A couple of weeks ago, I walked in my graduation, and I now have my MBA from Boise State.

A little background:  I went to work right out of high school, and I didn't begin my Bachelor's degree until I was 32.  I graduated at 35, and I took 10 years off before embarking on the Master's journey.  It's not fun going to school later in life, but it was on my bucket list to complete before I turned 50.  (I'm 47 now.)  

Another note:  Neither of my parents graduated high school, and none of my 3 siblings did either.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son was asked to be on an elite travel team at the end of 2017 for this coming year (13u)which he happily accepted.  The coach is a very special guy who truly cares about the players and their family.  He is also very generous, for which we will be forever grateful, with the only cost to us being his bat and travel expenses.  He is going to get some top notch training as well.  We have been blessed for my oldest son to be given this opportunity.  I am still nervous and hope and pray that he is able to contribute to the team and becomes one if not the top player.  Because of this opportunity we, as a family are meeting and becoming friends with some truly great and special people.

Good idea.

2017 posted higher GPA for his freshman fall semester than he had in HS.  We are pretty darn pleased about that.

On the other side of the coin, I feel bad for 2015, who is now studying for two exams from his fall quarter because it was suspended during latest round of CA wildfires. 

Congrats Ryno! That's impressive. 

Following is both the good, the bad and the hopeful of not so bad. PO Jr just got his grades for last semester 3.8 which is his highest since first semester freshman year. Always a good student(3.6 GPA HS, 31 ACT & 1810 SAT) but playing baseball and college classes have been a challenge. Thankful that he is finally figured it out (Prayers).  Because of these improvements he will now qualify for the 1 year program to get his MBA. 

Bad news. In person for the Cotton Bowl loss. Being married to a Trojan is good, but never after a big loss. Jerry World AT&T is an awesome venue. Sam Darnold declaring for the NFL. Good for him, except he could go to Cleveland where most quarterbacks go to die (sorry CabbageDad). Congrats to the Buckeyes, clearly the better team that day (don't tell my wife).

Now for the hopeful not bad news. Our final 24 hours in Dallas I experienced lower back pain and leg/calf stiffness in both legs which limited my mobility. I went to the ER and was told that there were some sort of spinal issues and I needed to see a Neurologist right away when I got back to CA.  MRI yesterday revealed severe narrowing of the spinal canal (Spinal Stenosis?) causing nerve damage. Soonest available appointment with neurosurgeon is Monday to determine best next steps. Prayers that the symptoms don't worsen before Monday and with a speedy resolution is in sight. Crazy how everything is good one day and the next day you can't walk.

Prayers and positive thoughts!

Picked Off posted:

Following is both the good, the bad and the hopeful of not so bad. PO Jr just got his grades for last semester 3.8 which is his highest since first semester freshman year. Always a good student(3.6 GPA HS, 31 ACT & 1810 SAT) but playing baseball and college classes have been a challenge. Thankful that he is finally figured it out (Prayers).  Because of these improvements he will now qualify for the 1 year program to get his MBA. 

Bad news. In person for the Cotton Bowl loss. Being married to a Trojan is good, but never after a big loss. Jerry World AT&T is an awesome venue. Sam Darnold declaring for the NFL. Good for him, except he could go to Cleveland where most quarterbacks go to die (sorry CabbageDad). Congrats to the Buckeyes, clearly the better team that day (don't tell my wife).

Now for the hopeful not bad news. Our final 24 hours in Dallas I experienced lower back pain and leg/calf stiffness in both legs which limited my mobility. I went to the ER and was told that there were some sort of spinal issues and I needed to see a Neurologist right away when I got back to CA.  MRI yesterday revealed severe narrowing of the spinal canal (Spinal Stenosis?) causing nerve damage. Soonest available appointment with neurosurgeon is Monday to determine best next steps. Prayers that the symptoms don't worsen before Monday and with a speedy resolution is in sight. Crazy how everything is good one day and the next day you can't walk.

Picked Off, agreed, our world is crazy like that with those extreme ups and downs. Sending prayers your way for the doctors to be knowledgeable and recovery to be speedy. 

2018 is the year I've personally been waiting for ....18 years. My oldest son, the Y2K baby, graduates this year. So many new changes for our family. When he starts college, my youngest will start high school. I start a new job next week. Overall, I'm just so thankful that we have made it this far. Many of us were holding little babies on that September 11, 2001 and felt the weight of uncertain times realizing there were so many enemies of our own living right on our own soil, constantly plotting to harm us, and thinking that in our dear child's life time there will be war that they may possibly be drafted to fight in. That's a pretty heavy thought when your holding a precious baby that is your world. So thankful we've made it this far. And so thankful that we get to spend so much time at the edge of a baseball field watching those precious, and very big by now, babies play ball.

Blessings for this new year.

Son completed his college eligibility in June with a conference championship and an NCAA regional appearance. Went back to school in the fall with a graduate assistantship. Finished his masters degree in cybersecurity in December. Got engaged to the ss on the softball team. Took a full-time job on campus while he looks for a suitable tech job and watches his fiancee complete her eligibility.

Let's see. My son's final AB in HS was a base-emptying double (lost in playoffs 11-4 but the runs were for self-respect). Bummer: despite being the wire-to-wire hit leader of his team and phenomenal defensive catcher, only got honorable mention for division.

His summer men's wood bat team won the championship and he caught 80% of the innings.

Crushed the Virginia Tech club team tryouts, and went 2-2 with a walk during the prospective players scrimmage (only 7 hits in the entire game), but still did not get selected. Took him less than a week to fill-up his activities and move forward.

His first semester grades were excellent.

Last edited by Batty67

Ryno,

Congrats on your 2017 accomplishment!  A remarkable achievement that will impact several generations of Rynos.  As a HS teacher I always marvel at the stories of kids being "the first" in their family to go to college.  The courage needed to break from peers is one thing, but to break from family precedent is another.  As Johnny Carson would say, "That's great stuff!"

For my 2018, 2017 was the year he hit 90mph off the mound at a showcase in front of 20+ coaches and broke 7-seconds in the sixty (6.97 at two different showcases).  He'd been working for YEARS to achieve both.  

This past year, as son went from boy to man, and me from front seat to back seat (in his journey), I too had some time on my hands that I haven't had in the past 6-7 years.  I began "open water swimming" with my free time since I was only accompanying son on weekends where hotels were needed.    I live 200' from Atlantic Ocean so I began swimming.  And like Forrest Gump ran, I just swam and swam and swam.  I did a triathlon in August (1-mile swim, 15-mile bike, 5K run) as my big achievement in 2017.  

Best to ALL in 2018.

Well, grades are still good enough to keep the academic portion of his scholly so that's gotta be #1      Had a decent year on the mound in college....came back to crush it in the summer league, enough to get some interest from a couple MLB scouts    Really good fall on the mound....and he's got a bat back his hands again for the first time in 2 years.  Was told at the end of fall he's one of 3 guys battling for the DH spot in addition to pitching. 

Oh, and my daughter graduated with a nursing degree from The Ohio State University....and started a job that she absolutely loves!!  

Last edited by Buckeye 2015

According to the post I have only been in 2018 for 5 days.... so not much to report.... as I see some are posing 2017 news I can share some of that. 

Oldest graduated college , was on a the OVC championship team and played in a regional at FSU... that was cool... he has job now and is hopefully moving into the COO position soon.

Second son is back in school after taking a semester off.

Third son made the Dean's List at Tufts for the third straight time and is going to London for a semester next spring.

Fourth son .... threw a PG @ Jupiter ?   getting a lot of attention , home visits and invites.... Signed his NLI at Vandy

I am blessed !

Picked Off posted:

Geez, Brian, will be hoping for the best to come out of Monday and beyond.  Great news for Dillon with school... he just needed more boring roomates 

So much to be thankful for but here are a few highlights from 2017:

Family is healthy. 

Grades are good.

High school baseball team made an awesome run but fell short in the semifinals. It was definitely fun to watch the community support for the team.

Football team recently won the state title for the first time in school history. The winning 38 yard FG happened on an untimed down because of a defensive penalty. 

Jupiter wasn’t a good as Bacdorsliders (LoL) but son got to work with Fred McGriff while down there.

Overall, 2017 was a good year but expecting an even better 2018. 

Shove, I have a hippie daughter too...  she had quite the year.

The restaurant she was working at in San Diego burned down so she used that event as springboard to make a move to Hood River, Oregon.  In the summer, the Eagle Creek fire jumped the Hood River and forced evacuation from her new home and the resort she was now working at.  She came home to the Central Coast for the Thanksgiving Holidays and was here for the start of the Thomas fire (just south of us)... the biggest wildfire in California history.  She just headed down to Mexico for a big kite boarding event... as long as she stays on the water, what can possibly burn, right?

As for Cabbage, I've been holding on to this one for a bit... he landed a Head Coach job in the Valley League for this coming summer.  

cabbagedad posted:

The restaurant she was working at in San Diego burned down so she used that event as springboard to make a move to Hood River, Oregon.  In the summer, the Eagle Creek fire jumped the Hood River and forced evacuation from her new home and the resort she was now working at.  She came home to the Central Coast for the Thanksgiving Holidays and was here for the start of the Thomas fire (just south of us)... the biggest wildfire in California history.  She just headed down to Mexico for a big kite boarding event... as long as she stays on the water, what can possibly burn, right?

As for Cabbage, I've been holding on to this one for a bit... he landed a Head Coach job in the Valley League for this coming summer.  

Congratulations to Alex! Let us know if you make a trip east this summer (my son will be playing for Winchester).

Son as a freshmen at a D1 school had a great fall leading many statistical categories as a PO. One was he averaged 2 strikeouts per inning. At the end of fall and he met with the coaches in their individual meetings they told him that they are looking at him as one of the weekend starters. Mentioned they like his mound presence and how he attacks hitters. He also found out that he will be playing with a team in the Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League this summer. Lastly he had all A’s and 1 B+ for a 3.85 GPA.  He struggled the first few weeks with some homesickness, but he has seemed to adjust. Can’t wait for the season to begin in 6 weeks! 

cabbagedad posted:

geez, I'm not sure I'd let her come home anymore

jonsmith posted:

Son as a freshmen at a D1 school had a great fall leading many statistical categories as a PO. One was he averaged 2 strikeouts per inning. At the end of fall and he met with the coaches in their individual meetings they told him that they are looking at him as one of the weekend starters. Mentioned they like his mound presence and how he attacks hitters. He also found out that he will be playing with a team in the Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League this summer. Lastly he had all A’s and 1 B+ for a 3.85 GPA.  He struggled the first few weeks with some homesickness, but he has seemed to adjust. Can’t wait for the season to begin in 6 weeks! 

You have a PM

Picked Off posted:

Sorry to hear that PO!  Positive Vibes sent your way!

#1 Assistant Coach posted:

Ryno,

Congrats on your 2017 accomplishment!  A remarkable achievement that will impact several generations of Rynos.  As a HS teacher I always marvel at the stories of kids being "the first" in their family to go to college.  The courage needed to break from peers is one thing, but to break from family precedent is another.  As Johnny Carson would say, "That's great stuff!"

For my 2018, 2017 was the year he hit 90mph off the mound at a showcase in front of 20+ coaches and broke 7-seconds in the sixty (6.97 at two different showcases).  He'd been working for YEARS to achieve both.  

This past year, as son went from boy to man, and me from front seat to back seat (in his journey), I too had some time on my hands that I haven't had in the past 6-7 years.  I began "open water swimming" with my free time since I was only accompanying son on weekends where hotels were needed.    I live 200' from Atlantic Ocean so I began swimming.  And like Forrest Gump ran, I just swam and swam and swam.  I did a triathlon in August (1-mile swim, 15-mile bike, 5K run) as my big achievement in 2017.  

Best to ALL in 2018.

Thanks so much!  It meant a lot to me to complete that endeavor.  I am astonished at your swimming.  That is super cool.  I don't think that I could do that!

bacdorslider posted:

According to the post I have only been in 2018 for 5 days.... so not much to report.... as I see some are posing 2017 news I can share some of that. 

Oldest graduated college , was on a the OVC championship team and played in a regional at FSU... that was cool... he has job now and is hopefully moving into the COO position soon.

Second son is back in school after taking a semester off.

Third son made the Dean's List at Tufts for the third straight time and is going to London for a semester next spring.

Fourth son .... threw a PG @ Jupiter ?   getting a lot of attention , home visits and invites.... Signed his NLI at Vandy

I am blessed !

My bad!  I should have said in 2017!

jonsmith posted:

Very cool.  2 K's per inning, Wow!

Love hearing all your stories!  Congrats to all of your baseball players and you and the rest of your families for your accomplishments and blessings. 

Picked Off, so sorry to hear about your sudden health issue.  Praying it is resolved quickly.

I am grateful for many things – family and friends, my job, etc.  With regard to my ball player, I’m happy he got straight As again – has that 4.0 intact going into junior baseball season.  I am happy that he had a very good year in baseball and football, and is healthy and strong.  I am grateful that he is the person he is – that he is thoughtful, kind, respectful, fun to be around, and self-motivated.  I am grateful that he is only a junior, and I will have him at home at least one more year!     

Swampboy posted:

Son completed his college eligibility in June with a conference championship and an NCAA regional appearance. Went back to school in the fall with a graduate assistantship. Finished his masters degree in cybersecurity in December. Got engaged to the ss on the softball team. Took a full-time job on campus while he looks for a suitable tech job and watches his fiancee complete her eligibility.

This is awesome Swampy! Way to go SwampSon!

Many of the old timers here followed my daughter's career in college.  She had an outstanding career.  Besides being a 2 time NCAA D-II All American, she was also a Scholastic All American.  So, her career ended and it was time to join the real world.  That turned out to be a nightmare.  First, her university could not get her name right for state certification and so, when she went to apply for teaching positions, she never showed up as a certified teacher.  It took us over half a year to get that fixed and, by then, all of the schools had finished hiring.  She found a job as a paraprofessional and so did have work. Then came 2017.  She came home to our home state.  Again, heartache as the university sent the same wrong name to our state for certification and so, she was rejected for a teaching certificate.  After a few phone calls, thank goodness, it was corrected and she got her certificate.  Still, we were in late July/early August.  BB got 8 interviews after that but in two states and was a finalist for all 8 jobs.  In one job interview, she was told that districts would not hire her due to her softball credentials.  She was so frustrated.  On her last interview, she didn't get the job but the personnel director told her that they were really impressed with her but the other candidate had a Master's Degree.  For a young lady that has always been the best at everything she did, this was so hard to take.  Long story short, that district called her back and said that they had another position that was created out of the blue and would she like a teaching job.  She is so happy now working as a teacher.  In November, she was voter her district's "Outstanding Educator of the Month."   That district has 7 grade schools, two middle schools and a massive high school so this was a great honor.  Long ago, I promised her that if she got a teaching job, I 'd buy her a puppy.  She held me to that promise and we got her a Cavapoo.  It is the cutest, smartest puppy I have ever seen.  I can only hope and pray that 2018 will be so good  

Last edited by CoachB25
CoachB25 posted:

Many of the old timers here followed my daughter's career in college.  She had an outstanding career.  Besides being a 2 time NCAA D-II All American, she was also a Scholastic All American.  So, her career ended and it was time to join the real world.  That turned out to be a nightmare.  First, her university could not get her name right for state certification and so, when she went to apply for teaching positions, she never showed up as a certified teacher.  It took us over half a year to get that fixed and, by then, all of the schools had finished hiring.  She found a job as a paraprofessional and so did have work. Then came 2017.  She came home to our home state.  Again, heartache as the university sent the same wrong name to our state for certification and so, she was rejected for a teaching certificate.  After a few phone calls, thank goodness, it was corrected and she got her certificate.  Still, we were in late July/early August.  BB got 8 interviews after that but in two states and was a finalist for all 8 jobs.  In one job interview, she was told that districts would not hire her due to her softball credentials.  She was so frustrated.  On her last interview, she didn't get the job but the personnel director told her that they were really impressed with her but the other candidate had a Master's Degree.  For a young lady that has always been the best at everything she did, this was so hard to take.  Long story short, that district called her back and said that they had another position that was created out of the blue and would she like a teaching job.  She is so happy now working as a teacher.  In November, she was voter her district's "Outstanding Educator of the Month."   That district has 7 grade schools, two middle schools and a massive high school so this was a great honor.  Long ago, I promised her that if she got a teaching job, I 'd buy her a puppy.  She held me to that promise and we got her a Cavapoo.  It is the cutest, smartest puppy I have ever seen.  I can only hope and pray that 2018 will be so good  

Wow! Just WOW!

I have to ask, why did they hold her softball against her?  I didn't get that.

I don't know but could speculate on a few things.  First, she has a degree in elementary education and so, Principals don't want their teachers leaving the school to go coach.  Secondly, there were a lot of high schools that wanted her to coach and she was upfront about that but said in each interview that she wanted to be a teacher first and so, if that was a problem she wouldn't coach.  Then, and this is speculation and not nice, there are stereotypes about college softball players that simply aren't true.  BB wasn't given a reason as that Principal stood up and walked out on her.  

The school district that hired my daughter is the same one I began in and it is so hard to get a job there because they have great pay and a tremendous academic reputation.  For BB to get an award that fast in that district truly is impressive.  

So, this isn't about my baseball player, but there's no place to brag about my daughter — who got a 4.0 in what should have been first semester of her junior year, but with all her AP credits and hard work added up is now a first semester senior. Also admitted to grad school in diet and exercise so will graduate in five years total with both a BA and MA, and was one of 12 kids at her D1 college accepted to a trip to study food culture in Paris in May.

AND she brought her new boyfriend home for a while over holiday break and he's a very nice guy.

Good to see things go well for all the kids and their families.

Iowamom23 posted:

So, this isn't about my baseball player, but there's no place to brag about my daughter — who got a 4.0 in what should have been first semester of her junior year, but with all her AP credits and hard work added up is now a first semester senior. Also admitted to grad school in diet and exercise so will graduate in five years total with both a BA and MA, and was one of 12 kids at her D1 college accepted to a trip to study food culture in Paris in May.

AND she brought her new boyfriend home for a while over holiday break and he's a very nice guy.

Thanks for posting.  I think sometimes we/I get carried away with the accomplishments of our boys, and leave out what our daughters do.  I am happy for your daughter.  Very impressive!

rynoattack posted:
Iowamom23 posted:

Thanks for posting.  I think sometimes we/I get carried away with the accomplishments of our boys, and leave out what our daughters do.  I am happy for your daughter.  Very impressive!

Thank you. Apparently they don't send cool graphics to post on social media of kids studying when that goes well, the way they do when kids commit to a sport. Very proud of both my kids, and very impressed by many of those on this site.

Youngest son ex baseball player finished up his 3rd semester at the Academy and has decided he wants to be a pilot so we will see how that goes but did well in his classes (Mechanical Engineering). Oldest son is a year out of college with an Accounting degree but decided he didn't like accounting so he added a year of college to get a minor in TV Production (or something like that). He decided he wanted to be Television producer. He did a few volunteer jobs as an assistant made some contacts and landed a job as an Associate Producer. After a couple of months promoted to Producer. Been a good year in this household.       

MidAtlanticDad posted:
cabbagedad posted:

Congratulations to Alex! Let us know if you make a trip east this summer (my son will be playing for Winchester).

Thanks Mid, hoping to do that and will let you know if things line up.  I'm guessing that's not too far away for you with your son.

To start this off, not all of this is positive. This is the story of my 2017. 2017 was the definition of a rollercoaster ride. I felt like I should share my story as it could be inspirational/ uplifting to athletes who went/ are going through the same things as I did. 

The start of 2017 was the in the middle of my junior year in HS. Started the year off on the absolute wrong foot because I dislocated my knee during December of 2016. Thankfully, I didn’t need surgery so I dedicated myself to rehabbing my knee to prepare for the season which starts at the end of January for us. Going into the season I was a RHP & 3B. I was stuck behind a returning all-district 3B and probably wasn’t being considered for a ton of innings on the mound. Here in TX, before we start our district games we play 6 game round robin tournaments. These tournament put stress on every pitching staff in the state so pretty much everyone gets innings during these. In the first tournament, I was given a start on the second day of games. I ended up throwing a CG shutout in a mercy rule victory. Going into the second tournament, I got a second start but this time I absolutely laid an egg. Gave up more runs than I care to share and could  find the strike zone. This leads us into district play. In our district we play 3 game series. The first series I got no playing time. In the second series, I was brought in to get a single batter out in a tight situation, which I did, and then got pulled because I was only needed to get the one out and that was it for that series. Next comes the series against our rivals, who were ranked in the top 10 in the state. I ended up throwing 3 innings with no earned runs and 4 Ks. It was around this point in the season where my coach started to phase me out of playing third and making me a PO. In the next two series I became the go to guy out of the bullpen. I pitched well enough to earn a start in the final series of the year, which determined if we made playoffs or not. I got the start in a do or die game which held our playoff fate. I threw five innings only allowing 1 earned run and striking out 7. But that wasn’t enough, we lost the game 3-0 and missed the playoffs. My final stats were: 2.21 ERA  29 Ks and 10 BBs. I earned second team all district and academic all district. All of this while playing on a bad knee. 

Fast forward to the summer season... I had all the confidence in the world going into the summer after my success from the spring. We played  a competive schedule and I knew this was my chance to get recruited. To make this short, I had the worst summer of my life. I didn’t have a single good outing. But I still had some hope because we were going to HeadFirst in Sacramento. When I signed up for HF, I was still a two way player, so on the first day I worked out with the infielders. During the defensive showcase portion, I was fielding a backhand groundball, planted to make the throw and my leg gave out. I dislocated my knee again. This was the worst timing because HF backed up directly with WWBA in Atlanta so I was unable to participate in either event. At this point, I just gave up on college baseball. I came to terms that it wasn’t meant to be. This was a really hard thing for me to deal as I have played baseball for upwards of 15 years. 

By now school had started back up and I was back working out with the team again. Thinking this would be my last season playing baseball, I devoted myself to be the best pitcher I possibly could for my teammates so I could help get us to the playoffs and ultimately get our program back where it needed to be. I worked harder than ever before in the weight room and took my arm care more seriously than before. That fall my velo jumped from 81-82 to 86-87. At a fall scrimmage there were some scouts from some local schools there to watch some of my teammates. During my inning, I threw really well and they took notice  That re-lit the fire in me and I decided to attend one last showcase just to see what would happen. From that event I had 8 different schools contact me asking me to come on visits and ultimately pick up offers from the schools I was interested in. As of right now, I have my choice of what school I want to play at this fall. This was a situation I would have never dreamed I would have been in only 4 months prior. 

I guess the moral of this story is perseverance. 2017 was the most mentally, emotionally, and physically stressful year of my life but I am stronger because of it. If you are an athlete or a parent of an athlete who is in a similar situation I was, DON’T GIVE UP!! No matter you’re going through, work hard and you’ll get through it. I hope some off you find this story inspiring and go do great things this year! Happy 2018!!!!

standballdad posted:

Youngest son ex baseball player finished up his 3rd semester at the Academy and has decided he wants to be a pilot so we will see how that goes but did well in his classes (Mechanical Engineering). Oldest son is a year out of college with an Accounting degree but decided he didn't like accounting so he added a year of college to get a minor in TV Production (or something like that). He decided he wanted to be Television producer. He did a few volunteer jobs as an assistant made some contacts and landed a job as an Associate Producer. After a couple of months promoted to Producer. Been a good year in this household.       

Outstanding!

BLUD15 posted:

To start this off, not all of this is positive. This is the story of my 2017. 2017 was the definition of a rollercoaster ride. I felt like I should share my story as it could be inspirational/ uplifting to athletes who went/ are going through the same things as I did. 

The start of 2017 was the in the middle of my junior year in HS. Started the year off on the absolute wrong foot because I dislocated my knee during December of 2016. Thankfully, I didn’t need surgery so I dedicated myself to rehabbing my knee to prepare for the season which starts at the end of January for us. Going into the season I was a RHP & 3B. I was stuck behind a returning all-district 3B and probably wasn’t being considered for a ton of innings on the mound. Here in TX, before we start our district games we play 6 game round robin tournaments. These tournament put stress on every pitching staff in the state so pretty much everyone gets innings during these. In the first tournament, I was given a start on the second day of games. I ended up throwing a CG shutout in a mercy rule victory. Going into the second tournament, I got a second start but this time I absolutely laid an egg. Gave up more runs than I care to share and could  find the strike zone. This leads us into district play. In our district we play 3 game series. The first series I got no playing time. In the second series, I was brought in to get a single batter out in a tight situation, which I did, and then got pulled because I was only needed to get the one out and that was it for that series. Next comes the series against our rivals, who were ranked in the top 10 in the state. I ended up throwing 3 innings with no earned runs and 4 Ks. It was around this point in the season where my coach started to phase me out of playing third and making me a PO. In the next two series I became the go to guy out of the bullpen. I pitched well enough to earn a start in the final series of the year, which determined if we made playoffs or not. I got the start in a do or die game which held our playoff fate. I threw five innings only allowing 1 earned run and striking out 7. But that wasn’t enough, we lost the game 3-0 and missed the playoffs. My final stats were: 2.21 ERA  29 Ks and 10 BBs. I earned second team all district and academic all district. All of this while playing on a bad knee. 

Fast forward to the summer season... I had all the confidence in the world going into the summer after my success from the spring. We played  a competive schedule and I knew this was my chance to get recruited. To make this short, I had the worst summer of my life. I didn’t have a single good outing. But I still had some hope because we were going to HeadFirst in Sacramento. When I signed up for HF, I was still a two way player, so on the first day I worked out with the infielders. During the defensive showcase portion, I was fielding a backhand groundball, planted to make the throw and my leg gave out. I dislocated my knee again. This was the worst timing because HF backed up directly with WWBA in Atlanta so I was unable to participate in either event. At this point, I just gave up on college baseball. I came to terms that it wasn’t meant to be. This was a really hard thing for me to deal as I have played baseball for upwards of 15 years. 

By now school had started back up and I was back working out with the team again. Thinking this would be my last season playing baseball, I devoted myself to be the best pitcher I possibly could for my teammates so I could help get us to the playoffs and ultimately get our program back where it needed to be. I worked harder than ever before in the weight room and took my arm care more seriously than before. That fall my velo jumped from 81-82 to 86-87. At a fall scrimmage there were some scouts from some local schools there to watch some of my teammates. During my inning, I threw really well and they took notice  That re-lit the fire in me and I decided to attend one last showcase just to see what would happen. From that event I had 8 different schools contact me asking me to come on visits and ultimately pick up offers from the schools I was interested in. As of right now, I have my choice of what school I want to play at this fall. This was a situation I would have never dreamed I would have been in only 4 months prior. 

I guess the moral of this story is perseverance. 2017 was the most mentally, emotionally, and physically stressful year of my life but I am stronger because of it. If you are an athlete or a parent of an athlete who is in a similar situation I was, DON’T GIVE UP!! No matter you’re going through, work hard and you’ll get through it. I hope some off you find this story inspiring and go do great things this year! Happy 2018!!!!

That is a great story!  Perseverance is crucial to success.  EVERY player will have to pick themselves up from something, but it takes a special person to do what you did.  I am glad you didn't let your disappointment get the best of you.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.