Skip to main content

Here is a look at the pre-season top 40 DI schools, as ranked by Collegiate Baseball...released 12/23...

1. Rice
2. Clemson
3. South Carolina
4. Arkansas
5. North Carolina
6. Miami, Fla.
7. Texas
8. Vanderbilt
9. Nebraska
10. Virginia
11. Georgia Tech
12. Cal. St. Fullerton
13. Florida St.
14. Arizona St.
15. TCU
16. Tulane
17. Wichita St.
18. Tennessee
19. Pepperdine
20. Mississippi
21. Baylor
22. Georgia
23. Stanford
24. Oklahoma St.
25. USC
26. UCLA
27. Arizona
28. Evansville
29. **** Roberts
30. Long Beach St.
31. LSU
32. Mississippi St.
33. Houston
34. Oklahoma
35. Troy
36. San Francisco
37. Winthrop
38. Michigan
39. Notre Dame
40. Ohio St.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not sure exactly how the new rule will affect the schools in Hawaii, but I'm guessing it will make for more four-game home series and even longer road trips. This will make scheduling even tougher on these schools, and academics tougher on the students.

Pretty likely that the Sunday games in a long series
will be very high scoring affairs and hard on pitching staffs.

Other than that,I really don't think this rule will amount to much as far as changing the college baseball landscape. JMHO.
Potential results....

- More two way players...recruited, used and revived

- More pitcher injuries.

- Much more inconsistent results as coaches go far deeper into the staff.

- More scoring

- Urban bias. In scheduling, in recruiting. Less travel means less wear and tear on players and academics.

- Potentially less pitchers (and less success) going North, as the sunbelt schools which have better weather anyway will need larger staffs.

- More drafted players deciding to sign.

- More player burn out.

Cool 44
Last edited by observer44
u guys are so negative!

The only thing I think stinks is the uniform start date, but mark my words, that won't last long.

My son plays many many weeks with 5 games. yes that means 5 pitching starters, so if you are a pitcher, chances are there will be a spot waiting for you.

Yes that means more games per week, but aren't you sending your kids to school to PLAY. I think it means more will go play college ball. Yes, it does mean better time scheduling, and I can tell you from personal experience most of our players do better in class because of it. It means fatigue, but being tired because you are out on the field more than up partying at night. No procrastinating anymore, no putting off tomorrow what you can do today. School work has to be done asap. It also means better use of yur time during the fall, harder classes and more credits taken.

Mine has been playing a grueling schedule for two years and maintains an above 3.0 GPA. No he doesn't have the hardest major, but that was part of his decision. I am not sure if he was an engineering major it would work, but those are the things that have to be considered when making final decisions on where to go and where to play.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
It means fatigue, but being tired because you are out on the field more than up partying at night.

I agree with your whole post TPM but this part the most. I am convinced that baseball has made my son a better student and has provided him advantages the general student does not have. Even though they have more responsibilities than the general student population, these kids have learned how to be mutli-taskers and time managers. My hat's off to these coaches that help keep their players out of trouble and in good academic standing.

Only a few short weeks now and all these conversations about rankings become academic. We get to settle things on the field in baseball as it ought to be in all sports Smile

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.