Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Coachdad -
I have read about it both on the internet and in a story or two in the paper. I do not know of anyone that even performs this therapy. Do regular doc's do it? Or is it an "alternative" medical treatment? Not to knock alternatives, but that does get into some shady areas and some things work and others do not - also, some have adequate training to provide the treatment and others have little to none (this in reference to alternatives as a whole lot). My understanding is that prolotherapy is for damaged tendons and ligaments and that they inject fluids that inflame so that the body sends more nutrients and builds the tendon or ligament back up. At one web site they seemed to recommend not icing for tendonitis, but to let the inflamation do naturally what they do by added injection. Also to add warmth to increase mobility when needed.
Yes, if someone (more preferably) could give firsthand info, that would be helpful.
Tim Robertson
During this past spring I re-injured my shoulder, and we had been looking for alternatives when we came across prolotherapy. When we asked my orthopedist(conservative doctor) about it, he claimed it was a doctors "Dirt little Secret" and that there was no given proof that it worked. He claimed that it was the equivalent of doing a tribal dance while waving shells over your head. So ignoring my orthopedist's warnings we went ahead and scheduled an appointment with a Prolotherapist. It turns out that the shoulder joint is not one where they can inject prolo-solution. Instead we had a benzene(?) solutions injected into my shoulder, one at the spot of injury and one in the back where the nerve is that passes through my shoulder. After 3 treatments I came back even stronger than before with no problems, The MPH on my fastball jumped 2 or 3 and i was able to throw more pitches in a game

This link contains a lot of very good information that was helpful to me

Prolotherapy
my brother had severe back pain earlier this year. He is the alternative medicine type of guy and had prolotherapy. It was amazing. The doctor told him it would take about 3 weeks to have an effect and sure enough, right at three weeks he noticed a big improvement.

He went from barely being able to walk or even sit to his normal self doing yard work 8 hours a day

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.