Skip to main content

I have a 2023 playing in an upcoming prospect wire 14u tournament.  We've been "invited" (for $149) to participate in the showcase during the tournament.  Any reason to do this; other than just for the experience.   He would not stand out in any single metric but I guess it might be motivating to see one stands relative to peers.  Also I guess there is a scouting report you get.  Perhaps you get feedback that might be helpful.  What do you guys think?  Thanks in advance for the advice! 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

For a 2023 that doesn't yet have measurables that stand out, another option would be to take that money and put it toward a slightly used pocket radar and a stopwatch, take the measurables yourself and keep tracking his progress.

Yeah, you could argue "for the experience", but the most important experience is the part where he plays in the games, hopefully against solid competition.  He's already signed up for that.

Have fun!

Showcasing has become an industry. There are a lot of people jumping on board to take advantage of parents ignorance (uninformed, inexperienced) and fears of falling behind. Other than most major D1 prospects and maybe half of mid major D1 prospects everyone else will receive offers the summer after junior year.

Come to understand your son’s potential. Know his metrics. Then figure out where he fits and his timeline. There’s nothing wrong with gaining some showcase experience and get on the radar screen the year before go time. Chances are if he falls in the early group name travel teams will pursued him.

Last edited by RJM
EastCO posted:

I have a 2023 playing in an upcoming prospect wire 14u tournament.  We've been "invited" (for $149) to participate in the showcase during the tournament.  Any reason to do this; other than just for the experience.   He would not stand out in any single metric but I guess it might be motivating to see one stands relative to peers.  Also I guess there is a scouting report you get.  Perhaps you get feedback that might be helpful.  What do you guys think?  Thanks in advance for the advice! 

$149? not more than a couple years ago this was FREE at all their events.....dang

Wait til he gets a little bigger, better and older and have him go to a PBR showcase for basically the same fee (you'll get alot more out of PBR than prospect wire).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.