Skip to main content

I have rarely (maybe never) done this but today for some reason I feel the need to do so .... I am going to post an email that we received from our son Andy, this morning. As most of you know I have a hard time bragging about either of our sons. Both have grown to be fine young men, no doubt a credit to their mother.

Sometimes little things just make everything worthwhile:

quote:
Today is May 27th, 2005. Today is our "unofficial opening day" We are playing a team at home but we'll be the visiting team because their field is not ready. I have been here for a little over two weeks and I can easily tell you a lot of differences between College and Pro baseball. I won't list any of them but lets say the other two college guys and I stick out by the way we play. Supposedly hustling is only accepted during the games, not in practice.

The Boston area is alright I guess. It would be so much better if it didn't rain everyday...I'm being literal with that comment. I feel comfortable with where I'm staying and the majority of the team is staying at this hotel too, so it's cool. I haven't had the chance to drive downtown and do the sight seeing thing yet, but hopefully I can do that soon.

Although it's been raining for the past week, we have still been able to have productive workouts. We were lucky enough to have an indoor facility as a sponsor. I'm not sure whether I'll be in the starting lineup tonight or if we'll even play but I do know that I've been waiting all my life for this day and the opportunity that has been given to me.

I want to thank you all for all the support and love you've given me throughout my life. Without you I would not be the person I am and I definitely would not be where I am. Know that as I take my first steps on to the diamond tonight I carry you all with me. Thank you all for everything!

Andy Howdeshell #4
Northshore Spirit
Bob, "Former" Head Cook and Bottle Washer
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This has been a very teary day for me, already!!!

First, there were tears of sadness while reading Bob's "Many Thoughts." Then there were tears of joy when I read the last part about the website being continued.

Then, more tears of joy when Bob allowed us to share in the message that he received from his son. I don't know if I can take anymore.

Bob, you have to be so proud of raising a son who is not afraid to say, 'Thank you, Dad/Mom/Family for all that you have done for me. I wouldn't be where I am today without you and I love you.' Andy can't help but to go far and I, along with everyone else, will be pulling for him and praying for him.

Thanks, Bob, for the memories.
Bob,

This is the very reason this site is exceptional, the baseball these kids excel at is just a mere tool in their overall development into a fine young man . To read this makes my heart pound, as my son will be leaving soon to make his way. The help and stories I find here will help me in making sure he goes safely . I look forward to recieving a call like that or an email from him descibing his journey and sharing it with the fine folks you have assembled on this trusted site!! I hope nothing but success and fastballs down the middle for Andy !!!

Catchersdad
Bob,

That is absolutely priceless, and a wonderful example of what this site is all about, from the 14-yr-old who is thrilled to make the HS team, to the young man about to play his first day of pro ball and taking the time to thank Mom and Dad for everything. Thanks so much for sharing that message from your son, and thanks even more for all you have done for so many other sons!
WOW is right! Thanks for posting the message. It's one that all parents are one day hoping for. Definitely worth bragging about and one you can be very proud of.

As PG stated, I wonder if Andy is aware of just how many people, most whom he's never met, are rooting for him, not only in baseball, but the game of life as well.
Last edited by FrankF
Bob, As a relative "newbie" here, I haven't had the privalege of being as familiar with your sons and what's going on in their lives as some of the other boys. I suddenly feel like I've missed out! You do need to brag a little more!!! Thanks for sharing this and congratulations to you, your family, and to an obviously wonderful son. Best of luck to him in continuing to pursue his dream! applaude
That's what it's all about. Parents helping their kids and kids "appreciating" all the love and thoughtfulness that their parents showed them during their adolescent and young adult lives.

Andy, your a lucky young man and YOU know it! Bob, you and Mrs. Howdeshell are lucky parents and YOU BOTH know it!

Thanks for sharing such a personal moment with all of us. It's small notes like these that are ever lasting and PRICELESS... Smile
Last edited by MWR-VA
That email was beautiful. I'm so glad you shared it...and its perfect that you received it during your last week with hsbaseballweb. Two lines really stood out for me...

"I've been waiting all my life for this day and the opportunity that has been given to me."

"Know that as I take my first steps on to the diamond tonight I carry you all with me."

It's all been worth it, Bob. What goes around, does come around.
Last edited by TxMom
Bob,

You and your wife have a lot to be thankful for, what a heartwarming post from a Man that happens to be your son. A son who feels it's not too corny to tell his parents how he loves them and appreciates them.

You raised him the right way, I can tell by that email and I have never met the lad.

But I bet I am right.

CV
Last edited by cvsting

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.