Skip to main content

So son will be 14 shortly and has grown  6 inches this year. He's about 5'6" weighs 118 lbs.

He has no facial hair or arm pit hair yet. He projected to be around average height or slightly taller going off of standard growth charts and family genetics. So I believe he has a few inches to go.

He's been going to the gym and learning to lift weights under the weekly supervision of a trainer mostly using machines with lighter weights and small free weights for lateral raises, bicep, triceps etc. He will also mix in some boxing, running on the treadmill for cardio.

I go to the gym with him on the days he is not with the trainer and have some questions. Is ok to do squats and bench presses? He seems very interested in doing bench presses and upping the weight. What is a safe amount of weight to do? I think the most he has done is 100 lbs.

Also he is so active that I can't see him gaining weight without eating more. He is very picky about the food he eats and hungry all the time. But I am afraid he won't gain any muscle without eating more because there is no fat to burn off. I think he has about 6% body fat. The trainer says his workouts are more about learning the right form to set him up for future when the testosterone really kicks in.

Can anyone give me some feedback about how it was for their son going from a boy body to a man's with regards to strength training and  gaining muscle mass and nutrition. How did process look for your boys? I know it might be a little early for him to expect to be bigger, faster and stronger but I'm curious as to what that process may look like. Son seems to enjoy going to the gym and working out just trying to support him and give him realistic expectations.

Last edited by BB328
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You are going to get a wide range and answers here, I would suggest reading material By Eric Cressey, Zach Dechant, and Mike Boyle to start. Eric and Zach train a lot of baseball players, and Mike Boyle trains a wide range of athletes. Eric probably has the largest library online of the three.

As far as gaining weight. It's simple (not easy) caloric intake dictates weight gain/loss. If an athlete wants to gain weight they need to prioritize his nutrition like they do strength training, sport specific practice, etc.

I learned from this site that son should not do weights until puberty hair was a thing.  So son did a sport specific weight training program with a trainer starting the winter of freshman year.   Trainer was always on site when he worked out.

As for gaining weight, it is still a struggle at 26 and playing professional baseball.   I am glad he is off my meal plan.

nycdad is correct.  Think peanut butter sandwiches right before bed, protein shakes, and double portion sizes. 

Freshman year of high school my son was 5’11” 135. He had just spurts from 5’4” 120. His mother is a personal trainer. Until the growth sport she worked with him on stretching, pliability and strength training relative to his size. There’s no sense breaking weight lifting records when you haven’t grown. Plus there’s the issue of growth plates.

Once he grew and needed to put on the weight he ate quality food like crazy and drank whey protein shakes. There was a point when his head was in the fridge so often I thought we needed a glass door.

Peanut butter isn’t necessarily bad, but there are much better alternatives. The name brands are loaded with sugar. Realistically, if he isn’t committed to eating healthy to gain weight I wouldn’t push it. You’ll start pushing foods that are not healthy just to get calories.

Check out a diet app like MyFitnessPal. It will really open your eyes to what you’re eating and need to do to accomplish your goals. I’m guessing your son will need about 4000 calories a day and loaded with good protein, carbs, and veggies. Also, start reading labels. Knowing what is in the food you and he are eating is important.

Just my opinion and what worked for my kids. When initially gaining weight, eating "clean" was not a priority. At 14, just put on the weight, you can dial in your nutrition later, but get the weight on. If you overwhelm a 14yo with nutrition lectures, you will lose.

Also before it's brought up....Lifting weights does not stunt growth. There is 0 evidence supporting otherwise.

Also flexibility != mobility. Some studies suggest static stretching should likely not be done before athletic activity and a dynamic warmup is better.

Mobility is key, where flexibility is being manipulated  into end ranges, mobility is how string you are in those end ranges. My kids did and to this day do a lot of movements from a Kinstretch routine (goolge PAILS and RAILS).

I would start doing bench and squat but not to failure but with a focus on technique.

Imo the first half year or so of doing compound lifts you don't want to get stronger and gain a lot but instead focus on really learning the movements.

If the movements really good after half a year or so you can start to increase the weight. I wouldn't go max until he is like 16 or so though but stay in the 6-10 reps range or so and then later you can go for max strength.

I think that is much better than not squatting at all until he is 16 and then maxing out already after two months when technique still sucks.

Better start squats early and light (BW squats already as a preteen and lightly weighted squats since like age 13 or so) and learn technique well.

@nycdad posted:

Just my opinion and what worked for my kids. When initially gaining weight, eating "clean" was not a priority. At 14, just put on the weight, you can dial in your nutrition later, but get the weight on. If you overwhelm a 14yo with nutrition lectures, you will lose.

Also before it's brought up....Lifting weights does not stunt growth. There is 0 evidence supporting otherwise.

TBH, unless a kid is physically mature to put on weight I wouldn’t even worry about it until they are. I’d stick with proper training and hope they start eating more as a result. To your point about the lectures, I 100% agree. That’s why they have to be committed and it has to be their idea. I used to tell my son he needed to gain weight and it didn’t get results. I also don’t think he was physically mature yet to add good weight. Then a college coach told him if he wanted to be taken seriously in recruiting he’d need to add weight. At that point it was his idea and goal and I just provided the food. When it was my idea he was eating primarily junk. When it was his idea it was mostly good food.

Cressey would disagree with the "hold off" theory.  https://ericcressey.com/the-tr...-resistance-training

He argues that if you are really worried about muscular-skeletal problems with lifting...throwing a ball overhead is the easily the most violent thing you can do. Additionally, is lifting weights inherently more damaging to tissues and skeleton than jumping and sprinting?   Obviously- form needs to be good, but I feel like a lot of the advice in baseball circles on this topic is kind of old-school folk wisdom that's been passed down but doesn't have empirical evidence on its side.  He does this for a living and hasn't seen a single strength training injury of significance for younger athletes...but has seen loads of them with throwing injuries.

In short, get in the weight room.  It is the cheat code. 

My sons now 18 and 15 started their weight training around 14 during puberty. They went to a reputable training facility and was taught proper technique after an assessment and supervised them in a small group setting. I was able to monitor them for proper technique when they did lifts at home. I have read and know of kids who hurt themselves due to poor technique and lack of supervision. They also took creatine and both ate reasonably well for teenagers and their caloric intake during school was a challenge.  However their gains were ridiculous, >20 lbs in a few months.

Last edited by 2022NYC

Thank you for all your responses. I do feel that there is only a certain amount of information a 14 year old  will process regarding nutrition and weight gain which I am not sure he is ready for.  His trainer is in his early twenties and he listens alot better to him than me. It is just very costly to have a trainer with him every time he works out so I am trying educate myself.

I don't  think he has made the connection that in order to develop more muscle that he's got to eat like he trains. It sounds like from everyone is saying the weight gain is easier comes a easier when he's further thru puberty. I am just afraid if he doesn't eat enough it will negate any gains that he is attempting to make. But establishing good form and technique early is important.

Regarding flexibility he hates to stretch but he is also hypermobile in certain joints like me.  (elbows, hips and shoulders) This makes strength training  more important for stability reasons as well. I learned this the hard way. Has any one else dealt with that issue?

Have you looked into a small specialty sports gym? My son has been going to one for years that is something like $350-400/month for unlimited workouts with trainers. There are always enough trainers there to have a 3/1 ratio and every workout is custom built each day. They also work in group speed and agility days if you want it. The monthly fee also includes one add-on (1 session/month with mental sports coach, nutrition package of nutrition plan and 1 smoothie a day, synaptic training). There are a lot of places like this. Cressey is probably one of the biggest names you'll see.

Up until last year he was only making slight gains in strength and weight. I was fine with it because he enjoyed it and was building a good habit of physical fitness. Last fall he committed to eating and put on 40lbs in 4 months. He was also 5'8" going into HS and was 6'1" at the end of last summer. Clearly a late bloomer.

I think weight training and diet needs to be customized to the individual. We first introduced our son to weights as a freshman, but he wasn't focusing on weightlifting. He was using "weights" with functional/explosive movements. Stuff like kettlebells, medicine balls, sandbags, etc. We then transitioned him into lifting weights focusing on proper form, he still continues to do the original stuff too. When lifting weights we've recommended he use dumbells instead of the bar to encourage more core stability. He doesn't really know his max lift amounts because he just listens to his body and watches his form to determine how much weight to lift. He also has incorporated daily mobility exercises, core exercises and, also runs through a set of sprinter based plyometric exercises. Diet is really important...chicken breasts and ahi tuna steaks are his regular sources of protein.

Last edited by Momball11

both my boys started weight training around 13/14 yo.  both are late bloomers and late to puberty but have made huge strides in strength and stability, huge for better baseball.  Everything gets better with strength:  speed, coordination, athleticism, etc.   My oldest learned with more strength comes better stability and better body control, leading to more strikes not just velocity.

Some key notes from our experience.  They did work with a Trainer from Wasserman.

1. Eat, eat eat.  but pay attention to what you eat.  No I'm not saying lean only, that not as important early on (didn't say it was not) but eat dense.  Most kids have problems eating tons of food on their small stomachs, so make sure what you eat is loaded with calories without having to eat a ton of it.  Forcing food down can be a put off to eating more.  I do agree with Peanut Butter added to shakes etc.  Right amount of fat and protein to go along with calories.  Whole Milk, not lowfat, etc.

(the myfitness pal is a good suggestion, allows you to just scan the barcode on the package and help track what you are eating, you have to track food intake if you are serious about gaining size and weight, you can't gain lean body mass without a surplus and in order to determine how much, you need to figure out what keeps and sustains your current weight and then go more)

1. Muscle growth (bodybuilding) is not always possible nor the goal at 14 (it's different for everyone) but strength and development of type 2 fibers is possible.  Finding a weight that works for the exercise and then work to failure, then increase reps to failure vs always increasing weight at same number of reps is preferred.  Increase weight when failure becomes to hard to reach.  Explosive movements and eccentrics to build an athlete.

2. The power lifts are fine, deadlifts, etc.  I preferred them to stay away from back squats until they had core strength.  Make sure to start with strengthening the stabilizers and muscles that are typically dormant (anterior ceratus) etc. to work on the things that cause potential mobility and mechanical issues with baseball movements first.

3. During growth spurts kids are prone to Seavers and Osgood-Schlatters (heel and knee) where the bone is lengthening and ligaments are stretching, so they should back off during those times.  Mostly just to manage through the pain and not prolong it.

4. When doing pulling exercises (lat pulls, etc)  make sure you hold the bar with whole hand, not let it get into the fingers.  Tendons that control the fingers go right through the elbow and issues can result by putting too much load on them.  big issue for throwing and hitting.

5.  The best part of weight training at that age is first developing an enjoyment of it and second learning the right techniques for making it a lifelong part of your athletic and other journey.  If you have to keep reminding your kid to do it, back off, set up a schedule with them and then leave it up to them to follow it (being a workout partner is good, just don't over coach).  It's okay to remind once in a while, with something like... "were you able to get in your lift today?"  but don't be a nag and don't make it about them being not good or lazy if they didn't get to it.

6. Find a program and have a plan, playing it by ear ends up being a lot of work for little gain.  Just doing something is better than doing nothing, although that sounds logical, it doesn't really work out.

@HSDad22 posted:

both my boys started weight training around 13/14 yo.  both are late bloomers and late to puberty but have made huge strides in strength and stability, huge for better baseball.  Everything gets better with strength:  speed, coordination, athleticism, etc.   My oldest learned with more strength comes better stability and better body control, leading to more strikes not just velocity.

Some key notes from our experience.  They did work with a Trainer from Wasserman.

1. Eat, eat eat.  but pay attention to what you eat.  No I'm not saying lean only, that not as important early on (didn't say it was not) but eat dense.  Most kids have problems eating tons of food on their small stomachs, so make sure what you eat is loaded with calories without having to eat a ton of it.  Forcing food down can be a put off to eating more.  I do agree with Peanut Butter added to shakes etc.  Right amount of fat and protein to go along with calories.  Whole Milk, not lowfat, etc.

(the myfitness pal is a good suggestion, allows you to just scan the barcode on the package and help track what you are eating, you have to track food intake if you are serious about gaining size and weight, you can't gain lean body mass without a surplus and in order to determine how much, you need to figure out what keeps and sustains your current weight and then go more)

1. Muscle growth (bodybuilding) is not always possible nor the goal at 14 (it's different for everyone) but strength and development of type 2 fibers is possible.  Finding a weight that works for the exercise and then work to failure, then increase reps to failure vs always increasing weight at same number of reps is preferred.  Increase weight when failure becomes to hard to reach.  Explosive movements and eccentrics to build an athlete.

2. The power lifts are fine, deadlifts, etc.  I preferred them to stay away from back squats until they had core strength.  Make sure to start with strengthening the stabilizers and muscles that are typically dormant (anterior ceratus) etc. to work on the things that cause potential mobility and mechanical issues with baseball movements first.

3. During growth spurts kids are prone to Seavers and Osgood-Schlatters (heel and knee) where the bone is lengthening and ligaments are stretching, so they should back off during those times.  Mostly just to manage through the pain and not prolong it.

4. When doing pulling exercises (lat pulls, etc)  make sure you hold the bar with whole hand, not let it get into the fingers.  Tendons that control the fingers go right through the elbow and issues can result by putting too much load on them.  big issue for throwing and hitting.

5.  The best part of weight training at that age is first developing an enjoyment of it and second learning the right techniques for making it a lifelong part of your athletic and other journey.  If you have to keep reminding your kid to do it, back off, set up a schedule with them and then leave it up to them to follow it (being a workout partner is good, just don't over coach).  It's okay to remind once in a while, with something like... "were you able to get in your lift today?"  but don't be a nag and don't make it about them being not good or lazy if they didn't get to it.

6. Find a program and have a plan, playing it by ear ends up being a lot of work for little gain.  Just doing something is better than doing nothing, although that sounds logical, it doesn't really work out.

Solid post! A trainer/nutritionist told me this week about using the powdered peanut butter in shakes. It blends easier and it is also easier to find healthier options this way compared to Jif and Skippy.

The story of the rapidly growing teen and weightlifting - just use a wee bit of caution.  We did not realize until after my 14-year-old was injured that he was at the prime age for a stress fracture to his lower spine (most common is spondylolysis).  In his case, we were very lucky to catch it at the stress reaction stage - had it progressed, it could have been an injury that kept him out for much longer.  He first felt it while lunging with weights and then when swinging a bat or sprinting.  After many weeks of PT, he seems to be recovered (the awesome part about being 14 ), but he had to learn to be more patient (perhaps too much weight, too soon) and careful the hard way.

Last edited by ILoveBaseball04

The story of the rapidly growing teen and weightlifting - just use a wee bit of caution.  We did not realize until after my 14-year-old was injured that he was at the prime age for a stress fracture to his lower spine (most common is spondylolysis).  In his case, we were very lucky to catch it at the stress reaction stage - had it progressed, it could have been an injury that kept him out for much longer.  He first felt it while lunging with weights and then when swinging a bat or sprinting.  After many weeks of PT, he seems to be recovered (the awesome part about being 14 ), but he had to learn to be more patient (perhaps too much weight, too soon) and careful the hard way.

Thanks for sharing, it should be an addendum to HSDAD22 #3

This is good caution, recently amazed at the number of kids I know personally that have been dealing with stress fractures of the spine.  My understanding from the parents who talked with me about it, that their orthopedic doctors told them it was  getting common among rotational athletes, going from one sport to another with no rest between.  The T-spine gets lots of torque.  In 3 of the cases it was athletes who competed in baseball then right to soccer or football, the combination of rotation and then pounding (by a lot of running or contact) seems to be the culprit.  But over doing it while lifting especially if not done correctly can certainly aggravate it, but I think it's more it brings it to light (it is a micro stress fracture in most cases that can be hard to notice right off) more than causes it.

IF you lift, mobility and tissue work needs to be included to remain pliable and loose. If you are hyper-mobile, especially in the joints, strengthening muscles around them so they aren't so loose is also beneficial to throwing athletes like that.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.