Skip to main content

I watched the Cubs-Cardinals game today.  Scoreless through 7.5 innings, brilliant pitching and defensive performances.  Bottom of the 8th, the Cubs sent out a lefty reliever, a rookie.  He gets a groundout, then gives up a double.  Then the Cardinals send out Albert Pujols.  The poor rookie, desperately hoping he was not going to give up #695 . . . but of course he did.  Cardinals win.

Really I'm a Cubs fan, but you can't help but admire that.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

cabbagedad:

I think back to our 1998 Area Code games. My game rosters are ready for the printer and I receive a phone cal from Joe, a trusted player agent. He said, I need to place a specific player in the AC games.He listed reasons why.

This player has NO pro scout recommendation and is from Fort Osage HS, Missouri. I did place Albert and the rest is history.

Bob

@Consultant posted:

cabbagedad:

I think back to our 1998 Area Code games. My game rosters are ready for the printer and I receive a phone cal from Joe, a trusted player agent. He said, I need to place a specific player in the AC games.He listed reasons why.

This player has NO pro scout recommendation and is from Fort Osage HS, Missouri. I did place Albert and the rest is history.

Bob

Bob, wow... didn't know that one about you!  And then, about 13 years later, you hooked up one of my sons in a tourney.  Not quite the same outcome but greatly appreciated none the less

If you are the pirates manager on the last day of the season and your team is down 5 to 1 in the 8th and pujols is at 699 are you pitching a position player and tell him to throw down the pipe and try make albert hit 700?

Eno sarris from the athletic said if he was a pitcher on Alberts last AB and the game is over either way he absolutely would try to make albert hit 700 off him but of course there also is an argument for playing the game the right way.

He seems to hit a HR every time I watch, so I'm going to try to watch Cards games so that he gets to 700 before the last game (not that I'm superstitious or anything).

Last night was pretty funny.  After he struck out, the announcers said he was acknowledging the pitcher, they showed him kind of nodding, as if to say, "o.k., I see what you're doing".  And obviously he did.

What might even be more impressive is the fact that it is widely believed he is older than 42.

He's having a very good season all things considered. .260 and 20 HRs is above average, especially considering he hasn't played in 1/3 of their games.

Having his best year in 10 seasons is a bit strange, but maybe not playing every day has something to do with that

@Dominik85 posted:

If you are the pirates manager on the last day of the season and your team is down 5 to 1 in the 8th and pujols is at 699 are you pitching a position player and tell him to throw down the pipe and try make albert hit 700?

Eno sarris from the athletic said if he was a pitcher on Alberts last AB and the game is over either way he absolutely would try to make albert hit 700 off him but of course there also is an argument for playing the game the right way.

Yes I would pitch to him, but I'd try to get him out.  I think (hope) this is the way it will play out.

@Smitty28 posted:

This is so great.

It really is.

Son was in the clubhouse one spring training with Albert, Yadi, Wainwright and Chris Carpenter. They were all so awesome.

Some folks really resented Albert for leaving STL, but it was never about the money. This man sent food daily to feed the milb players from the DR  during spring training,  no spring training paychecks back then.

You just knew he would be greater than he already was. I hope he comes back in some capacity to work with the young players.

I am so happy that he could put aside what happened and retire as a Cardinal.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.