Skip to main content

I received a question about frequent pop ups to my site. How would you answer...here is mine

Popping up is staying on the back side too much. Make sure he strides to a point that he tenses his lead inner thigh and keeps his hands back. The weight should not stay on the back foot and spin against live pitching or in drills.

The HBH work should be about balance and learning to turn into the ball hard. We learn this by taking away most of the shift until they can learn to rotate their hips completely and create rotary power

Alternate HBH work with the walk up drill. Set a tee in front a couple of steps. Cross step in front with the back foot moving forward( step 1) then stride( step 2) and hit the ball. Make sure your get weight into the inside of the lead thigh but not beyond it. You can even drag the rear toe somewhat at impact as long as the hips are turning. The rear foot can be weightless at impact during this drill.

While this seems counter -intuitive to the goal of the HBH it is important to develop feel and athletism. Lunging is bad but so is staying back to much and having the early launch pull you back.

The bat and loaded shoulder unit have a certain amount of inertia. Stride momentum or weight shift just prior to launch overcomes the inertia ( which can exert a force rearward making it appear that you are dropping the shoulder).

Work on core strength because MLB players can over come the bat and shoulder inertia with strong abs and torso muscles and reduce their forward shift widening their timing window. \

A Jim Edmonds and a Garciaparra simply turn with hardly any shift while an Arod has more shift. You will need to work to find whats right for you but understanding it is key.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Swingbuster, don't discount the fact that often popping up is pitch selection. Certain players can't lay off certain pitches and so...

We view popping up in different ways and we would need to see the hitter. However, and I know that others are going to mention again that I should never discuss "hands", we tend to do a lot of bottom hand drills since we view certain players having a "weak bottom hand" and so, they pop up. We come to this conclusion with some of our players after film work from game footage. JMHO!
Swingbuster & CoachB25:

Very good points. I also wanted to add the obvious and hope that it does not come across as condescending because that is not my intent. Pop ups also have everything to do with where the round ball meets on the round bat barrel.

I have worked with a lot of hitters for many years from youth to high school to college and found that they can do everything mechanically correct and put a great swing on a great pitch, but if the ball meets anywhere above the center line on the bat barrel it is going to go up.

And unless a hitter has obvious, major mechanical flaws (that don’t require the use of video to discover) he should almost be congratulated (stroked positively) when this happens. I have never studied it frame by frame but I believe the difference between every tape measure shot, home run and high pop up to the infield is about a half inch on the bat barrel. Like wise, the difference between every soring (rising trajectory) line drive and routine ground ball is too.

THop
Last edited by THop

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.