Skip to main content

I will close the thread if there continues to be back-and-forth negativity towards a particular team or coach. In this discussion, posters have singled out the A's and the Mustangs. There are no perfect organizations. Most parents think their kid is good enough to play on the top team in the country -- not just the top Squirrels team in Peanut Hollow, Texas. So, it should surprise no one that kids/families (heck even coaches) leave one group for another.

Our family is associated with DBAT for a few specific reasons....but not because the other teams could not also meet my son's baseball needs. I just happen to be friends with the owners, having been associated with Kirk's teams since PantherSon was 9. Our friends are baseball friends. In addition, I have great respect for Cade & Kyle. Having said that, I also respect Sam, Tommy, Shayne, Logan, etc. I am no different than many of you....but I see no benefit in creating a lengthy post on how one guy did us wrong or how this organization or that is in it for the money. And I am not here to toot DBAT's horn -- if you want to know more about a team, there is certainly enough information to be found. It makes me feel good to know that Mustang Coach A works at DBAT....or DBAT Instructor B is close friends with Sam & Shayne. The point is....there doesn't have to be 24 x 7 exclusivity in the baseball world. We can get along....we can work together and play together and our kids can benefit. We've discussed a DFW "dream team" ---- the best of the best ---- it may or may not include my kid or your kid. Do you support the idea? Obviously, many do not. Feelings would be hurt.....coaches' egos would be damaged.....etc.

Select baseball is what it is....HS baseball is what is it. But, like college opportunities, there are good situations for every kid in town that wants to play. I'm thankful for that fact. And despite the occasional frustration, I'm thankful that we have a forum to exchange ideas -- here.

Every post on this site will not be positive -- that's a perfect world, eh? But if people consider the intent and overall feeling their posts will create....we'll all be ok.

<-- just never had the oppoortunity to use that graemlin!
Last edited by Panther Dad
After some sleep I realized LineDrive is right, this topic is exactly why I started coming to this site, I needed advise.

I felt bad because none of out baseball friends told us about the DFW - Select Baseball Superstructure and there was no one place to go for advice. Everyone was interested in making sure there son had a spot on "the" team.

The question about Premier Association Teams is very fair and the real answer is if your son is invited to a P team or makes a P team through a try-out he is doing better than a lot of boys. That works for some and it doesn't work for others.

16's

I know a boy that played on the Mustangs B team last year and this year he is on the Mustangs A. He either played his way on to the team and / or someone left.

Another friend's son is on the A's A team and really enjoys it, yes they think they could have played better competition last summer but they believe in Dave and think he has it fixed this year.

My son changed teams from the Marshals to DBAT. His decision not mine.

KG - my advice to him was that the 16's Marshal coach liked him and the way he approached the game and that playing with Catfish Elkins would be great. But the core of the team would still be the same and it was very set last year and that he might not get any more at bats or chances on the hill than he had last summer. DBAT would be a fresh start and they have a great track record on getting there boys seen by college but he had to realize that he could still and up with less time than more and that he had to play his way into more playing time. DBAT was an unknown verse the Marshals being a known experience.

Here is what I have learned as a baseball dad:

There are tiered teams. Where ever your son ends up you want him playing the best competition and you hope that is with a group of very good players that push him to be better. Even though at times it seems personally, it isn't, it's baseball. Teh sooner your son learns to talk to a coach the better it will be for him and then if you are in the wrong place, move...there are lots of good teams and boys move every year.

However, there are 4 or 5 best teams...this is in no order except maybe age, Mustangs, Tigers, DBAT, Blackhawks,Marshal with another small group very close behind Dallas Giants ( I think they only have 17's or older,) Patriots, Panthers, A's and Ft Cats.

It doesn't matter if they play in BBI Premier or are a Premier Association team they all get the job done.

If your son can make one of these teams then he needs to try and if he doesn't then there are a lot of teams that play those teams ever week either here or on the road at a tournament. JMHO
MeatsDad,

You have written two great posts on this topic.

I agree that the Lone Star league does not have strong teams top to bottom, but, at least for T-Bird Son's Mustang team, the competition outside that was outstanding. Those three games between Sharp's Mustangs and the Marshals last year in the MMWS qualifier were competitive and exciting...I didn't realize MeatsSon played on that team.

I think the main issue that makes most people unhappy, is when their son plays on what is either perceived, or is in reality, and B or C team. There can be a seprate discussion on whether organizations should have A, B, etc., teams in each age group. Some clubs have quality B and C teams, some try to balance the teams within the age group. Bottom-line, ask questions before you pay a dime. If the team/coach promises you something, be wary...most good teams would not promise anything until they have seen the player play for a while (perhaps if Blake Beavan were available, they might promise a few innings on the mound Big Grin).

I don't envy those of you trying to wade through all of this to find a fit as I have been there, but if I were looking for a team for my son right now, the only promise I would want to hear from the coach/club is, if you hustle, play well, be a good teammate, display a great attitude and do the things we ask, you will find yourself on the field most of the time.
Roll-it-up,
I noticed you're in SE Texas so we may be closer to you as far as teams than the Dallas organizations( we're just north of Houston.) My son played with just a local team until last summer ( the summer after his junior year.) He was already getting some attention from colleges but I don't really know how serious it was (hard to tell sometimes!) After being told by 2 college coaches and a pro scout that he should play for one of the "Big 3" in Houston (or a team that played them often)if he wanted to play college ball, he made the move. He was not on the "A" team but his team played in plenty of good tournaments and there were ALWAYS college coaches at their games. He will be playing baseball in college next year but was it because of this team? I can't say. The team he will be playing for had been in contact with him for several months before he joined the team. The schools that had been talking to him were still talking to him. I think if anything being on the team gave him more "credibility" maybe and an opportunity for the coaches to see him play but it didn't seem to open alot of NEW doors if that makes sense-I think that may be different if a player has a really outstanding summer. I don't regret his not joining the team until last summer either-he always liked playing with his local friends. Hope this helps!
Last edited by ORmom
quote:
However, there are 4 or 5 best teams...this is in no order except maybe age, Mustangs, Tigers, DBAT, Blackhawks,Marshal with another small group very close behind Dallas Giants ( I think they only have 17's or older,) Patriots, Panthers, A's and Ft Cats.

For what it is worth...IMO the reason that there is an assumption that the Mustangs have declined is because during the 90's the Mustangs were "it" they were the "one" team that everyone knew was good,stacked, and dominant...not the group of teams you see now! Like I mentioned before RESULTS are still there....
It is threads like this one that bring baseball fans to this website....it is also threads like this that turn people off from this website. When debates slant towards which team/club is best then the dialog in my opinion gets to be too much of a discussion that is mostly about bragging rights.

Like most things in life,there is not a "one-size fits all" path for each player. Players gravitate to different clubs and different teams within clubs for different reasons.

As I tell my son, "bloom where you are planted". If you are good enough you will get noticed. I would rather him have opportunities to be on the field and progress than be on the "best" team with limited field time. As I said before, it is not a one-size fits all formula.
Last edited by cheapseats
quote:
Originally posted by John G.:

For what it is worth...IMO the reason that there is an assumption that the Mustangs have declined is because during the 90's the Mustangs were "it" they were the "one" team that everyone knew was good,stacked, and dominant...not the group of teams you see now!

And with this situation, the "Premier" league was created in hopes of gaining that "it" back. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by cheapseats:
"Players" gravitate to different clubs and different teams within clubs for different reasons.

"I" would rather him have opportunities to be on the field and progress than be on the "best" team with limited field time. As I said before, it is not a one-size fits all formula.

So which ones are making the decisions on which team to play for?

The "players" or the "I"?
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
God gave kids parents for a reason, KG. Hopefully, for your child's sake, you will figure that out before long.

A long transition exists between being a dependent child and an independent young adult. The reins loosen along the way. Instruction gives way to guidance. The rate of this transition depends upon the individual kid.
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Guthrie:
quote:
"Players" gravitate to different clubs and different teams within clubs for different reasons.

"I" would rather him have opportunities to be on the field and progress than be on the "best" team with limited field time. As I said before, it is not a one-size fits all formula.

So which ones are making the decisions on which team to play for?

The "players" or the "I"?

KG - In this instance it is the player making the decision as to what team to play for and we (his parents) support his decision (and pay the bill Wink)

I learned long ago that the decision was his....if a kid loves baseball and spends his entire summer consumed with it then he should pick the team/club.

KG - I have learned that if I "help" my teenager make a decision and it doesn't work out then I hear about it for a long time. I am still in the dog house for suggesting he take HS French instead of Spanish. It is a mistake that I will hear about for exactly 3 years. Smile
Last edited by cheapseats
I think what KG is referring to is the rather "creepy" way some parents refer to everything regarding their son's athletic affiliations and team memberships as "we" instead of "him".

I don't think that all parents who do this are necessarily thinking they really do have some sort of baseball career through their sons, but it does sound weird to me when I hear them refer to themselves and their sons as if they share the same body or something.

I make a point of not referring to my son and his teams as "we" - it is just semantics but I remember my days as a player and I would not want my dad trying to live through any of my accomplishments - which never went beyond HS anyway.

In regard to this "Premier" stuff - just do what my son did - no research, no interviews, no investigations, - just join up with the first coach to ask you to join his team. It has worked out pretty good for him. This will be his last season in Dallas area "select" baseball and he has no regrets at all as to how it worked out.

I've got a 9 year old coming up and when the time comes for him to make the jump to DFW area "select" baseball, I may just let him do it the same way. Can't argue with success.

We East Texas hokies don't put much thought into our decisions.

BTW - for anyone that is interested, I shot an albino squirrell a couple of weeks ago. I had never seen one before.
Meatsdad,

I'm gonna try to be politically correct on this one as best I can. And I will start by saying I'm sure your a good father that teaches values. Please don't take this the wrong way.........

but................

Reading your posts, I find it rather disturbing that your son has played for so many different teams in such a short amount of time. Are there reasons? Of coarse according to your message. More than likely valid reasons.

But whatever happened to committment in this day in age. Yeah, things aren't always a bed of roses, but sometimes challenging a through situation is a better life lesson than always taking the easy way out.

The reason I asked what your advice to your son was when going from one team he had a good relationship with to another was.........

I was hoping parents teach their sons that sticking with a decent situation and making it a better one is what life is all about.

Heck, we all want more in life. That's a given. But learning to work for it and earning it is a very important lesson to learn.

All too often kids, and their families Wink, jump ship because the grass is greener on the other side. But what about making greener pastures in the situation your in?

Now, as adults, it's likely we would take a job that offered a significant pay increase over a current position. Why, to put our families in a better situation. I say this because I know this will be used in comparison.

But reality of this is.............these are young adults about to step into the real world.

Are we preparing them by allowing situations to be forgotton only by putting it behind them with a "new team".

And yes, coaches are just as guilty. One organization will recruit anothers player to better their performance. Is this right? Well it happens everyday in corporate U.S.A so I guess it is huh?

In my opinion no, at this age, no player can make that much of difference if we (players, coaches, parents) are all doing this for the right reasons.

So the question is......Why are we doing this?

Players- To enjoy the game of baseball, to possibly take their career to the next level.

Coaches- To provide structure in a team atmosphere, teach the game and it's fundamentals. Provide and teach the value of ethics and character through a team concept.

Parents- To allow for opportunities to happen by providing parental support.....finacial, moral, ect.

Where it all gets foggy is why coaches and parents do this............

It's not about us.......it's about the kids. What should they get out of all this?

Most parents hope for finacial aid and a higher education through baseball. But this is so rare when you look at percentages even with the elite players.

But the pressure is continuously there in my opinion. From parents and coaches making promises and believing a dream.

Basically, I just think there is so much more to offer through the game of baseball than just what team can get my son noticed the best.

Because bottom line, if your good........you'll get noticed. It don't matter what team he's on.

****, I'll get off my soapbox.

Again, Meatsdad, please don't take this the wrong way. I ain't calling you out. Just see examples like yours way too often. When bottomline, this game will be over way sooner than later for most.

What will your son take away from it when it is over?

FYI- I say all of this realizing your with the DBAT affilition now. As a DBAT affiliate, my comments have nothing to do with any particular oganization. Just the situation in general.
Last edited by Ken Guthrie
quote:
KG - I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!

My son has been with one summer/fall team for his entire HS career......and he has been at the same school for 11 years!

You must have me/him confused with someone else....

And, I am not a father.....

My bad. So many crazy names I get mixed up. I'll change it.
Gut,

This forum has taught me to take the high road.

Commitment is something that is taught in our house. But when it comes to Select baseball we had to change what that definition meant.

Select Baseball has taught me that if the other party breaks their commitment, the player & his family are free from that commitment.

I wish I had learned all I have about Select Baseball when he was in 7th grade then we would tried our best to target a team and go to their first try-out and make that team and stay there the whole time. That didn't happen.

The other even harder thing to learn was what the definition of commitment in Select Baseball really is, that is: If both sides stay with what was promised then each stays committed to each other. More times than not the team or coach will not live up to their commitment.

Commitment in Select Baseball should never be confused with unconditional love.

I hope this thread leads more parents and players to understand what they are getting into from the beginning. Then maybe more coaches will honor their commitments and more players will honor theirs and there will be more Honor in Select baseball.

In the end this is about the player. He grew up, he made the decision. He knows that if he doesn't perform on the field he won't get playing time. But he is committed to DBAT because he knows for the first time in 2 1/2 years he will have a real fair shot. ( Actually the Patriots did give him a fair shot and treated him well - our commitment to them was just for Fall ball and that was originally their commitment to him. Both of those commitments were met.)

DBAT would have to chase him off the field before he left. He doesn't want to change again.

You see he likes the game, he wants to play the game and have fun and win as often as possible while being a part of a team.

So KG, don't judge me or the player he was and will become. What is done is done.

I hope other parents just starting this process learn how to do this better than I tired to do this for my son.

Good Luck with your boy.
Last edited by ACowboyFan
Just want to put my 2 cents in:

Be thankful you have a choice in the Dallas and Houston areas. You have many good baseball organizations from which to choose. Many of them are very good at promoting the players. Many of them offer great competition!

Where I live, we do not have that option. We just have a select traveling team made up of players from surrounding small towns.

The players have fun and are all good friends. The coach played college ball many years ago. Yes, the team has some great players, but most will never be "scouted" or "recruited" because they are not a high profile team.

So, be thankful that your sons have a way to access the college coaches through their high profile games. Our small town boys have to work extra hard to even get noticed!
quote:
Originally posted by T-Bird Dad:
MeatsDad,

You have written two great posts on this topic.

T-Bird Dad,

You could have more great posts too if you followed MeatsDad’s lead. Start with, “LineDrive is right…” (Thanks MD)

MeatsDad now has three great posts and by sheer strength of will has forced this train back on the tracks.

Look out! Did somebody say TRAIN?
Last edited by Line Drive

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.