Skip to main content

I have seven schools looking forward to seeing me at a camp in a couple of weeks, and at this point in time, my responses after telling them that I will beat the camp are "Sounds good. Let's talk then." or "That's great to hear. I can't wait to evaluate you then."

How should I respond back to these coaches before the showcase to build a proper relationship, then what should I do at the showcase, and then what about after the showcase to hopefully get offers on the table.

Thank you.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Most likely, the head coaches will not attend, unless his school is hosting.  They will send an assistant or some kind of recruiting coordinator.  The head coaches are busy with their own team this time of year.  All I can say is be respectful, shake hands, look a man in the eye and BALL OUT!!!  If you hit very well, you'll get noticed. 

This is Showball so it will be almost all head coaches.  I think if you have already made contact and they know you will be there, you don't send anything else.  You're on a list of players they will look for.  There is a meet and greet that first day. It will be hard to get to 7 coaches in that time, but I would make it a point to find the schools you are really interested in and introduce yourself. Good luck!

Have these coaches seen you before?  If you have already sent them an introductory email with position, baseball specs, grades, SAT, and video, and you have nothing new to add, then I agree with Dadbelly2023, there's no need for further contact.  If you have anything to update, you could do that.

HA schools are probably already bringing in potential recruits for campus visits, and players are starting to commit.  That means that some coaches will be more actively looking (i.e. their recruits committed elsewhere) than others.  You have no way of knowing about any of this, though.

What you are looking for at the showcase is an immediate invitation to visit campus, and an offer of support in ED.  If you get those, be prepared to travel as soon as possible.

Please remember that plenty of good schools are not as super-selective, and plenty of D3 players are admitted and recruited in the Regular Decision cycle.

A few thoughts....

1) You are one of many they are there to see.  I agree with @anotherparent that I would make a point of introducing myself to your initial top 3-4 schools.  When introducing yourself be confident and look them in the eye as @BB and BB suggests.  Additionally, I would hand them a resume or information sheet about you to keep you top of mind.  I've heard of some recruits being successful with a laminated hand out sheet. Keep in mind, you are getting late in the recruiting cycle even for D3, and you need to remain top of mind for at least a few more weeks.

2) Look at this as a first date.  These late season showcase events are not unlike speed dating.  You need to impress with a combination of your baseball skills and academic background.   A lot of these other guys may not be the best baseball players or have your academic background, so anything you can do to stand out is to your advantage.

3) @anotherparent is absolutely correct.  Your goal should be to continue the conversation with the coaching staff, and visit campus for an unofficial campus visit that may or may not include an overnight with the team.  You'll be assigned a host during that visit and there will be a lot of eyes on you.  Coaches will get feedback from the team about your visit.  Your calendar needs to be open and ready visit these campuses as soon as the following week.   I would try to line up 2-3 of these visits with your stack ranked schools.    

4) No need to follow up in writing after their response.  Just be ready to show them your baseball, academic and communication skills to move this forward.

Good luck!

Last edited by fenwaysouth

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.