Skip to main content

Saw this happen last night in a 16U game:

R3 tagging up on short flyball to F8;
Strong, accurate throw comes directly to F2 -- who goes into semi-crouch about 2 ft up the baseline holding the ball;.
Looks like R3 is going to be out by a good 10 ft.
At full speed he hurdles completely OVER F2 and lands on home plate without being tagged.
Ump calls SAFE.

League has a "must slide" rule.
Should he have been called out?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

With most 16U leagues, they play by HS rules, unless this was a tournament and then house rules overrides HS rules. It is my understanding, at least in the state of Georgia, that a player my not leave his feet except to slide, but does not have to slide. Now there is also a stipulation in the rules about no contact, so that the runner coming home cannot "bulldog" the cather and make him lose the ball. In GHSA, this is an out for the offensive team and an ejection from the ball game.

In this situation, I would have ruled the runner out for being out of the baseline since he was purposly trying to avoid a tag.
RPD,

This situation is difficult to address if the code being used (OBR or Fed) isn't known.

As far as "jumping completely over the catcher" goes; OBR does not prohibit it. Fed (High School) does prohibit it (runner is out) but it does not call for an ejection. ga_ump mentioned that GHSA also calls for an ejection. If so, then that is an add-on by the GHSA. The Fed rule further states that unless there is interference called, the ball remains live.

I would also need to know how this league's "must slide" rule reads. There are some summer leagues in my area that use what they call a "must slide" rule but none of them actually indicate that a runner being played on will automatically be called out if he doesn't slide. They generally indicate that the runner must slide OR attempt to avoid contact/collision. The runner clearly has a choice.

Unfortunately many coaches and players believe the out call is automatic without a slide. I have found that this is simply not so.
Last edited by pilsner
Pilsner,

Interesting scenario indeed!

I think what's most intriguing is that while OBR doesn't prohibit jumping over a player, it does say that the runner is out if " He runs more than three feet away from a direct line between bases to avoid being tagged unless his action is to avoid interference with a fielder.

Two issues:

1. Does the "three feet away from a direct line" include UP as well as side to side? I think it does, because it refers to a "line" not a plane. Although, maybe jumping doesn't qualify as "running" as used in the rule.

2. His jumping is clearly an attempt to "avoid being tagged", but is it also an attempt to "avoid interference"?

I'd be interested in your interpretations.

Thanks!
quote:
1. Does the "three feet away from a direct line" include UP as well as side to side? I think it does, because it refers to a "line" not a plane. Although, maybe jumping doesn't qualify as "running" as used in the rule.

RPD,

There may be an interp. out there that indicates that "UP" can be a violation of the three foot rule but if there is, I'm not aware of it.

During the summer season I officiate American Legion ball. With a couple of exceptions (equip. requirements and NCAA force play slide rule) Legion ball employs OBR. On rare occasions a runner will attempt to jump over a fielder. I've never called a runner out in those instances for violating the three foot rule. He's either out because he was tagged or safe because he wasn't. Also, on the times that I made a safe call, I've never heard a coach or player question the call based on that violation.
Hurdling suggests feet first, or, more precisely, foot first. Full speed down the line with a steel-cleated foot attempting to go over the catcher who, incidentally, may not have been properly taught to keep his helmet on...

This is a no-brainer guys. It may not be specifically addressed in the rule book, but how about applying some common sense and judgement.

If I'm behind the plate, the runner is out and ejected, and the coach can protest all he wants.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.