Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Like a shortstop, a catcher's glove should be as small as needed to get the job done (receiving, framing, blocking) so that the transfer on throws can be quick and efficient.  If the glove is too big the ball can swim around in there and take extra time to get a grip on the ball.  Perhaps he's got a friend or coach with a larger size he can try out to make sure he's comfortable with it.

2 comments on catchers gloves:

1) As big as they can handle. For 2021 that is 33 inch, but 34 inch would be preferred according to several coaches

2) Have a back up mitt!!! 2021 was given that advice by college coach, and (you might not believe it) that very same game in a showcase his web blew out and he had no spare! Ball went straight to backstop! Has happened a couple more times with faster/better pitching. He keeps 3 mitts in his bag now, and I’ve gotten better at re-lacing pockets!

Thanks LA21P. My son actually has 2 of the exact same 32.5 HoH. One is a bullpen glove while he breaks it in and the other is his gamer. He’s had a lace pop as well and he was able to finish the inning with the newer glove. I pulled out my trusty Wilson repair kit and was able to put in a new lace before they went back out to the field.

You mentioned your son can’t handle the 34 and uses a 33. What does he do with the 33 that is tougher with the 34?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.